Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, newbie here.

We have spent about a year being jerked around by NHS, they said it was me [DH], now one private test now I am improved but DW has high FSH 12+.

I had looked around here already and saw a few ppl had dropped these levels via various therapies.

I said to the consultant, what would he recomend to reduce FSH, he said there was no point, one reading over 10 and it is time to find a DE.

He seemed emphatic about this, but agreed we could do a cycle after we tried some herbal remedies.

Is he wrong?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Your consultant couldn't be more wrong and I have the proof in a cot upstairs!

March 2002 my FSH was 12.4

June 2002 it dropped to 8.4 - I took wheatgrass, Marilyn Glenville vitamins, Chinese Herbs and acupuncture and I became pregnant with our first IVF + ICSI!

Sadly our 2nd attempt at IVF in July 2004 failed and I have just had a failed FET.. :'(

Don't know if we will try once more for a much wanted 2nd child...

Go for it, change your consultant/clinic. I highly recommend the ARGC, there is a thread on this site for ARGC girlies, Mr Taranissi is absolutely the best!

Good luck

Jules

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I too would disagree!

While I am just starting treatment I have a consultant who would like to run 2 months of tests testing my levels to see who my FSH level fluctuates & mine so far have been 81 & 53!!!!!
While I understand I might be in the menopause at 37 he still wants to check out all options before suggesting DE.
FSH levels can vary from 5 - 15 every month & you can get lucky. There is a website under network 54 try google FSH High levels & some of the ladies have had really high levels. I had accupuncture yesterday & sometimes a high FSH level can be hiding another issue like PCOS or Endo.
Best bet would be to find another consultant.  best of luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments, and congrats on the proofs, I have emailed with ARGC, so far a completley different experience. So we may well go this way.

Can't wait to get the price list I understand ARGC is top of the scale :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Good that you are exploring other options.  A lot of girls rate the ARGC.
Best of luck

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Nice to read some positive stories as I am having problems with high fsh levels myself (after an initial reading of 7.9 2 years ago and 3 failed ICSIs, see below)

Just wanted to warn possible ARGC attendees, they won't let you cycle unless your FSH is below 10.  I'm stuck in a very negative loop right now and not sure whether to go elsewhere.

Both the Sher Institute in the States and the Lister in London advocate starting as soon as possible.  The Lister were able to give me their stats for the last 10 years for women aged between 34-36 with FSH levels between 10-15 and it was pretty good (we're talking about 38% live birth of a sample of about 100 women).  The consultant said that their numbers are even better if you look at it over the last few years given recent advancements.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Sorry, just to add that my levels have been going between 11 and 14 over the last 6 months with the exception of 8.0 just after my hysteroscopy.

Ironically I thought that was my levels returning to normal after my last failed treatment and didn't go immediately to ARGC as they wanted me to do a short protocol and I wasn't feeling up to it so soon.

If they'd told me it was quite possible even probable that my levels would rise again, then I would have gone ahead regardless.

Now I'm regretting that month and getting more and more apprehensive as time goes on.

The (cynical) worry is of course that ARGC are using high FSH levels as a barrier to entry... and so keeping their stats good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi
I am relitively new to the board so haven't read all the threads involved in this.
I am currently with ARGC and waiting for my FSH levels to come dowm. I am now looking at alternative methods which may help. I have been with ARGC for 5 1/2 years on and off and have nothing but praise for them. I have in the past had trouble with FSH levels but they have come down and we have had a sucessful cycle. I dont think they bar you just to keep the figures up. I do believe that while the high figures are important,they don't want you to go through a cycle unless you have a good chance of sucess.Although it is depressing being told no month after month it is nowhere as bad a s getting a negative result!
Has anyone got any tips to bring the FSH levels down??

Pixie

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pixie

Theres a good thread about FSH levels.

I think things that have helped include wheatgrass tablets, agnus castus (I use HerBalance 1 from www.nutricentre.com) acupuncture (I've no experience) lowering your stress (I'm moving abroad so mine were a bit higher, also when my mother ill)
Chinese herbs (may include agnus castus), healthy eating ie low caffeine/alcohol etc Certainly no smoking.

Hope this helps. I order online from nutricentre its reliable.
What level did ARGC wait for, out of interest?
Thanks
Plink

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Plink
I am currently using diet to reduce my levels and have just started with an acupuncturist who is also going to recommend some Chinese herbs.i also take loads of vitamins/supplements as reccomended by Zita West
ARGC say it has to be below 10 before we can go ahead and as I have had a 11.6 and a 12.5 they say wait a few more months to see what happens as it shouldn't really be that high and is probably a blip.So I am staying positive and trying to destress as much as possible.
Do you have high levels or are you just taking the supplements to orepare for a cycle?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pixiecat

I hadnt had a level checked since Oct 04 which was about 10 (or 9.9)

I have had a couple of highs before (2y ago) but actually, majority of mine have been ok.

When you get your result, do you get to speak to Mr T ever?  I have just sent a letter cos with moving abroad, I prob wont get to cycle there now. Trouble is, I moved from another clinic because of their good reputation and was hoping to 'squeeze' a cycle in before I go. I am CD5 at the moment, but we go mid-August so , tho I can check next cycle I wont have time to do the treatment which lasts 2-3 weeks, doesnt it.

I was thinking of phoning the out-of-hours number to try to get to speak to a doctor as I feel I need a two-way dialogue now. (I've started Humira , you see, and dont want to 'waste' it)

Plink X

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pixiecat

I have had a high level before, a couple of years ago and then was below 10 since then various times.
My latest blipped again and was 15 so annoyed.wasnt too suprised as I am forties and bound to have a higher level at times. I hadnt continued the wheatgrass very reg or agnus castus low caffeine/low alcohol stuff.

Going to reinforce it! asap!

I've only had one fsh tested at argc since I am new there - came from another clinic in search of more own-eggs treatment - when the other clinic were only going to offer donor.
had immunolgy tests -abnormal - was recommended Humira (taken 3 jabs) then this (high fsh result) so not cy cling this month.

Only prob is that I am sure argc offer the best possible treatment -we are moving abroad in a month and I cant squeeze in a cycle, I dont think, before that.
So I am looking at transporting his (Mr T) treatment elsewhere.

But I cant transport his expertise and dedication....

Love Plink x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Just to let you girls know that I still haven't managed to speak to Mr. T about my levels.  Latest one came in at 10.5 with oestradiol at 125 (not great results but not bad)

I have been told each month to wait for another month to see if it comes down.  I have had to make an appt through ARGC (and it's not until August 25th) to be able to talk about it with someone other than the nurse.

Talking to the Sher Institute it is more likely that my less than ideal levels are linked to having been through 3 long protocols last year.  In other words, my ovaries have been pushed to the limit and my brain is having to work harder to make them do what they used to do normally.  I started off with no issues and had no problems with response, so this makes sense to me.

I am hoping that time is what my body needs to settle (again, it makes sense that your resistance to these very powerful drugs will build up; equally there is no reason why your resistance shouldn't decrease with time).  I don't feel like I have time at 35, but I keep being told this is "young".

This is my experience and my interpretation, I know it's not applicable to everyone.

Where are you moving to Plink?

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi Girls,

I have just had latest blood work back and had a very complex Hycosy and doppler done, My FSH was 10 and my cons has said that its not good, but isnt bad as she saw between 5 and 7 A(something) follicles on my ovaries, but has stated that i shouldnt really take to long in going onto IVF, she said she was happy to do IUI if i wanted so really this was just to say there is hope out ther! she wasnt happy with the high number untill she saw my ovaries  :-\ . guess that made a difference?!?!?!?

Love Debs
xxxxxx

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Debs,

Just want to wish you luck. although 10 is slightly elevated, FSH is only a guide to your response to stims and possible ovarian reserve. 

My levels (at age 31) have been as follows :-

10/04 15.9
11/04/ 7 (!)
06/05 13

Am now in the two week wait on second IVF attempt, first time got 14 follicles, 10 of which fertilised, this time 7 and only 3 (they did not do ICSI this time - arghhh)

Anyway just wanted to say, all is not lost with elevated FSH.  Are you starting treatment soon?  My clinic was happy to treat provide FSH below 12.  This time they did not bother retesting which is why I think I got a lower result.

Anyway, that is all from me - sorry to waffle on.

Love
Tracy

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi tracey,

I think we will be staring in Oct if this lot of  ^BMS^ and baby aspirin dont work......

my main point in writing was to say that not all clinics expect you to drop your FSH before they accept you, OK i know mine are not hugely elevated but she wasn't a 100% happy with them, she waitied until she had seen my ovaries before she decided what course we should take... and because they looked okish, she said we could try one of 3 things, carry on ttc naturally, IUI (asI have isssues with CM too) or go straight on to IVF. she did say not to take too long TTC naturally as my FSH is good indicator that my clock is ticking fast.

Thanks for your reply tho and I wish you lots of  ^reiki^ and  ^fairydust^ on your 2ww

love and hugs

Debs
xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
So your FSH has dropped from 81 to 53 to 26 to 22.

A FSH at 22 you will be fertil again. At the clinic they told me that a FSH lower than 25 makes you fertil again.

March  2004 my FSH was 18
April    2004 my FSH was 27
August 2005 my FSH was 78

I have not had any menstruation for 5 month. They say that I have passed menopause, but I haven't got any signs of it like heating, dry vagina.

I fear that I will never have my menstruation again. I'm to 37 yrs old.

Have you done anything to bring your FSH down ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi
I would like to find out if it is pointless to try to lower FSH at the moment i am trying everything

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.