Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site but wondered if anyone could shed some light on our situation. My husband and I have been referred for ICSI but with the NHS budget cuts we are stuck on hold so are struggling to get some answers. My hubands last results showed an increase in sperm count but the motility fell from 1% - none moving. The doctor said the words "they are dead" but the letter we got a few weeks later said 0 motile. We aren't sure what the difference is but does anyone know..if you have sperm but none move is ICSI possible??

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Hi there - if the sperm are not moving because they have died then ICSI wouldn't work. However if they have issues that prevent them from moving but are still alive then ICSI should be possible. I'm just not sure if no movement = dead, if you get me. ICSI irradicates the need for the sperm to swim and meet the egg so it would be possible with living sperm. It might be worth considering a donor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That defo makes things clearer thank you. Guess we just need to wait for our 1st icsi appointment with the consultant to shed light on things.

Congratulation on your pregnancy x

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you researched a procedure called TESE. I don't know much about it but it might help.

B

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hey!  :)

My husband had a vasectomy reversal in August and they told him that the sperm count was very very low but they thought it was worth reversing the vasectomy anyway but while they were doing that op, they also carried out something called TESE, from my understanding of this (I might not word this all that well so apologies), they take part of the testicular wall and they harvest sperm from there, they then put it under the microscope to see if there are any living sperm, if there is (which there was with us  ;D) they freeze it (we got 9 straws of sperm frozen) but then they defrost one of them to see if the sperm is strong enough to survive the thawing process (ours was - phew) and then they leave the rest frozen until you are ready for egg recovery!

After the op, they sent us away to see if we could concieve naturally and after 3 months, they called him back to test him to see if any live swimmers were getting through but unfortunately not so we started ICSI on 1st February and hopefully should know whether attempt number one worked at some point of next month.... ^pray^

Good luck with your treatment and I hope this has helped a little! x

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the original poster is asking about *motility* not count. As far as motility, as someone else said, if they aren't moving because they are dead, then they will not fertilize an egg. BUT ... Often the testicular sperm harvested during TESE are immotile at first. The doctors put them in some kind of formula overnight (I don't know the real name, but I've started calling it "Red Bull for sperm" ;) ) that " wakes them up" and improves their motility before the ICSI procedure is done. I doubt that stuff is used during a normal SA.
So ... If his sperm are alive but immotile, perhaps the same stuff will be used to improve their motility for ICSI?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts