Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just need to vent... We are in the middle of our 7th IVF cycle, (third with donor eggs). We have a daughter from our first donor cycle, so in a way we are really fortunate. However we have had a really tough cycle this time with lots of issues and  just found out that after all the problems with tests, scans and prep we only got 5 eggs at egg collection.

I don’t get it. We have literally never had a cycle that just went smoothly. Our last frozen cycle didn’t even survive the thaw and now this.... I  don’t know what I’m saying really, just wanted to vent. I also feel like our clinic (the Lister) really doesn’t give a ****, we have done seven cycles with them and I feel like every time I get a bit more discouraged at how hard it is to talk meaningfully with anyone on their OD team. Although maybe I’m being unfair since it’s all been so tough this time around.

Ugh, I am all gnarly feeling  today.

Coffee :(....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi , I think it’s both when you are stuck on this fertility road. I did 4 ivf’s different clinics UK, lister one of them ( I personally did not find them very personable but a friend had great success) so after 4 own egg poor response I went for a 5th go donor egg Spain as part of a package where they guarantee x amount of blastocysts and fortunately for me it happened first go and I have 7 blasts still on freeze. I found the service at this clinic better than any of the UK ones , I felt like it meant something to them too. I’m not sure at what point I would have stopped or wanted too or when enough was enough physically and mentally but 100% I hear you and I wish I could offer some profound advice but only you know what you can deal with. Have they given any explanation , was it a different donor or same as first one ? Sending cyber hugs and baby dust

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw thank you! I’m holding out some hope that one of the 5 eggs will be a good one... we only had egg collection today. So it’s not hopeless,  but I’m so disappointed to be facing down so few eggs again and therefore such reduced chances.

Last time we did use the same donor and she also only produced 6 eggs so we were lucky it worked out with our daughter. However my consultant said that with a different protocol she strongly believed that she’d  be able to increase the number of eggs... I guess not! We took the risk because we wanted a full generic sibling for my daughter but I think in hindsight it was a big, big mistake.

Ugh. So lesson learned. And I agree the Lister are hit and miss. I loved them for own egg ivf mainly because of my consultant, but with donor eggs I feel like you just get so little supper. I can’t even ask them what happened because I know they won’t engage with the question at all. My consultant is on holiday and no one else will speak with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ivf they always talk about high numbers but sometimes I think too many stims to get more can actually affect quality. So fingers crossed that actually these 5 will benefit from quality over qty. everything crossed for you. Hopefully when your consultant is back you can ask my questions inbetween whiles just need to stay positive for those precious eggs x

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moore 77 you are an absolute champion cheer-uper. Thank you!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just wanted to check in to see how you're doing? And how the eggs are doing too x

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ZC,

Thanks for checking in! I appreciate the support, that’s so lovely. We actually had all 5 fertilize which is great and we were feeling really positive, but day 3 not looking as good. 2 x 6 cell embryos (grade 1 and grade 2) and three 5 cell embryos.

Our clinic said that 6 cells is fine for day 3 and have chosen to push for a day 5 transfer... but I seem to remember from previous cycles that 8-10 cells is what they are looking for. So I’m a bit worried we won’t have any blastocysts. Ugh. I’ve been out of the IVF game for a while and I forgot how stressful it is. Now madly googling 6 cell embryos and feeling worse and worse. But it’s so hard to know if that number of cells is really a big problem or whether I’m just going into that weird IVF doom mode!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I understand. It’s really difficult. A couple of blasts would be great on day 5.
You’re right though. It’s never easy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Coffeeandcake1 hope your holding up ok, I know Dr Google can open a can of worms. Everything crossed for you

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone, we had transfer today and to my amazement we had a blasto to transfer! It was 4BB, which I think is ok quality, right? I tried to ask about the rating but the doctor just said ‘that’s good’ and wouldn’t give me any more!

They said we also have two early blastos which they will continue to watch and may freeze (and also a morula and a cell cluster which they were less positive about). To be honest I have NEVER known ‘we will keep watching and may freeze’ to work out - but I am so happy just to have one blast to transfer! Now for the wait, fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
4BB is excellent. Delighted for you. You are due some luck now. So take it easy & rest up. Waiting and hoping for you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Coffee and cake - I have kept meaning to post to say that things change constantly during cycle and ones that seem hopeless can turn around and be great but time has run away with me! I had 2 day 6 embies frozen along with a day 5, they werent quite ready day 5, same with a friend, so it can happen. Lots of luck with the dreaded 2ww. 4BB is good quality- I personally dont think they should rate them as cant tell what is happening inside them and people get success even with the supposedly low rated ones- you have an embie that survived and has a great chance and that is all that you need to focus on now

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Kitty Kay! I totally agree that cycles have mad highs and lows, which is why it’s so helpful to post here and vent :)

We did actually have two to freeze which I was thrilled about. Now it’s  just the wait!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Coffeeandcake1
Just checking in how you are and sending a cyber hug. The whole fertilisation and cleavage stage to then what can be transferred is so stressful let alone in current climates. I pray for baby dust for you x

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you! So lovely that you are checking in! I’m doing better - You are totally right,  I had forgotten just how stressful those days from egg collection to transfer can be. I haven’t tested early and I’m going to take a few days more and wait until OTD to get my head straight, so that whatever the result I’m ready for it. I’m actually just really thankful that from 5 eggs we got a blastocyst and several to freeze, so we will see! I’ll let you know how the cycle goes.

Hope you guys are also all doing ok :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad you are ok, well as much as you can be when your life feels like it’s hanging in the balance. I think you had a good turn around from eggs that fertilised and getting to blast with eggs on freeze is perfect. Hope this is your golden egg. I was told to watch lots of funny movies as it helps relax the body more :) x

1 - 20 of 27 Posts