Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am not sure whether this is allowed on this board or should go into the sleeping category...

I just wanted to ask whether we are wrong in allowing our LO to have no naps at this age (16 months). She has never been a great one for sleeping during the day, but in the last few months has rarely wanted to sleep at all during the day - except on car journeys. She is constantly on the go, running around, dancing, singing, chatting etc. If she does have a nap, she generally takes hours to go to bed at night and it's horrendous (for me anyway!). However, having read other people's experiences, I am worried that we might be doing the wrong thing not trying to 'enforce' some kind of 'nap routine'. She has never slept in her cot during the day anyway, so it would be quite difficult.

Other than that she does sleep 11-12 hours a night - albeit often waking up and coming into our bed during the night. But, since I am still b/feeding her, that's not normally a problem.

Anyone else got a child who doesn't seem to want to sleep during the day? And are we doing our LO any harm by not enforcing daytime naps at this stage??

Many thanks in advance for any ideas on this!

Kasia

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I don't think your doing anything wrong at all, Alex has a two hour nap in the day because quite honestly he'd be a monster if he didn't.  If you LO is fine without a nap then leave it, you may find as she gets older and more and more enegetic that she may need one?!

Sorry probably not much help.

Bev xx

·
Registered
841 Posts
A and E went through a stage of not sleeping around this age (it coincided with them suddenly realising that life went on without them while they slept and a greater understanding of what they "wanted" to do with their time rather than what Mummy thought was best - they went through a faddy eating stage at the same time). 

Gradually they were ready for bed earlier and earlier and then slept later and later, at one point hey would sleep 15-16 hours given the chance.  This made doing anything really difficult if you needed an early start or late finish.  At some point they started asking for "Babies" (which is what they call their bedtime teddies) and pointing up stairs around 11am each day and we realised they wanted to sleep, at this point I re-introduced a milk feed in a beaker as well to help them get off.  They will now sleep up to 3 hours during the day (depending on how active they've been) and 12 hours at night.

So to answer your question I think it could be a phase but it just could be that he doesn't need much sleep.  I've not slept more than 6 hours in every 24 hours since I was about 11 so I know that not everyone needs the same.

I know they say they grow whilst they are asleep but I assume you've no worries in that department.

HJG

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, Bev and HJG for your replies! :)

Bev - you are very lucky Alex wants a 2-hour nap - it must allow you to get lots of things done! Maybe when she is a bit older our LO will want to do this too!

What you say about this possibly being a stage, HJG, is very interesting. It could well be - she has become very a very faddy eater too and will only eat one decent meal a day (either lunch or dinner), whereas she would eat all 3 quite well before. However, she is extremely active - you have to have eyes in the back of your head and 5 pairs of arms and legs to keep up with her. Plus she is constantly coming out with new words etc. As for her height and weight - she has always been on the 50th centile and appears to still be, although I haven't had her weighed for a month or so.

You are probably right that everyone needs different amounts of sleep - like you, I don't often need to sleep more than 6 hours a night - luckily!!!

I can just imagine your two girls getting their 'babies' and going up to bed of their own free will! Wonderful and very cute. Coincidentally, our LO calls all her wee toys her 'babies'! But so far she has never pointed at the stairs/door or anything remotely like the bedroom to indicate she wants to sleep :)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Kasia

·
Registered
841 Posts
Once they've had their bath and milk in the evening they will take themselves to their room and wait by their cots.  DSS was exactly the same apparently.  By 3 years old he was sneaking off upstairs and getting into bed fully clothed if he couldn't be bothered to wait for someone to put him to bed!

HJG

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't make me jealous! :) :) :)

Honestly, how do you do it? What is your secret??

Kasia

HJG said:
Once they've had their bath and milk in the evening they will take themselves to their room and wait by their cots. DSS was exactly the same apparently. By 3 years old he was sneaking off upstairs and getting into bed fully clothed if he couldn't be bothered to wait for someone to put him to bed!

HJG

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nothing to do with me and everything to do with DH's "love sleep" genes. 

On Sunday the girls had a late tea with us (they'd had a second sleep after a walk in the wind and rain so had a second wind or so I thought) and I said to myself I'll give them 30 minutes to play and let their tea go down (we had relatives staying who like to see as much of them as possible) then up to bath.  It was after 7pm at this point.  After 10 minutes of half heartedly picking up toys and discarding them again A started rubbing her head and pulling at her clothes.  It took us a minute but we realised she was pretending to wash her hair and wanted her clothes off.  As soon as we said "do you want to go to bed, shall we go and find baby?" A said "yeah night night" and started waving to everyone and E was up on her feet pulling my Mum out of her chair, they raced up the stairs, undressed, bath, milk and bed by 7.45pm.  They were still in bed at 8.30am the next morning.

On the few occasions we've had problems getting one or the other to sleep or waking in the night I've been a wreck.  Even thought I don't sleep for very long I find it exhausting not to be able to sleep when I want for as long as I need. 

It's difficult to know whether the routine we put in place for them at 6 weeks is the reason they are so keen or whether it is those sleep genes at work.  Very few things stop them falling asleep and staying asleep.  I've taken them asleep from the car and woken them, put them straight in the bath and then to bed and they've still gone straight off.  Most nights DH arrives home while they are being bathed, the 3 of them then spend 30 minutes "quiet time" jumping on the bed together and wrestling while I try to dress them (A&E that is!)!  Never noticed overtiredness being a problem once they are in bed although sometimes it can make bathtime a bit noisy and stressful.  They've not suffered with teething and never been properly ill.  They've had a few little colds and A sometimes has a bit of tummy ache at night.  They also had mouth ulcers one week after the other and I think because they couldn't eat they were hungry and they were unsettled at night.  That's the worst it's ever been and it was horrible.

I know I'm very very lucky, I wouldn't be able to work the hours I do if they didn't sleep as well as they do.  There's two girls at work that have just come back after maternity leave and they are really struggling, it's such a shame.  I was really glad to be back at work and felt very privileged to have the best of both worlds.  They see every work day as some kind of torture, then they go home, get very little sleep and then it all starts again.  Horrible.

I'm not counting my chickens though.  I am still expecting things to change at some point!

HJG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts