Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just had my failed IVF follow up and I chatted with the doctor about my lack of ovulation.  I used to get signs of ovulation, like a pain in my ovaries and cervical mucus.  Now I get nothing.  I do the wee on sticks and it shows nothing.  This has been going on for around 6 months.  My doctor says that if my cycles are regular there is no way I can't be ovulating.  Obviously I know he must be right, but having unexplained fertility means I am clutching at straws.  Why wouldn't the sticks show a surge?

The last 2 cycles I have had are back down to 28 days (previously up to 35) since I lost weight.  So perhaps ovulation may commence again?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi there

can't say for sure but i think it's possible to have reg cycle and not ovulate, think i remember my clinic saying something bout it. My cycles are 28/29 days and this month I've had no ov pains or cm which i always get, and af arrived right on time so I can only assume i didn't ov. If it's been goin on for 6 mths prob best way to find out is to ask for blood test to check progesterone level.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dozy Mare – hi
Came across your message.  I had my failed IVF in Oct and then had 2 cycles after that. I definitely don’t feel like I’m ovulating, my boobs don’t get tender in the second part of the cycle. I asked my Fert Doctor and he says that it’s even possible to have LH surge and still don’t ovulate. I was using sticks in the last 2 cycles which showed the surge. I guess my body is preparing to ovulate but probably doesn’t.
The only way for sure to figure out if you are ovulating is to test your progesterone levels. I asked my GP to test (usually day 21 in 28 days cycle) I asked for mine to be done on day 19 as my cycles are shorter 24-26 days. Had it last Friday, so will see if it’s possible to have LH surge and don’t ovulate.
Ask you GP for second part of the cycle progesterone and then you can confirm if you are back to ovulating or not.
P

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

P - your doctor seems to contradict my doctor.  Do you mean you had a blood test taken?  I, like you, get no indication at all about ovulation, whereas I definitely used to.  I think I will let this month go as it is my first cycle since IVF and no doubt my body is confused, then when AF arrives (late this month) I will start to use the wee sticks again to see if they detect a surge.

Let me know how you get on P.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hi DM,

Your Doctor  ^idiot^ is it a GP we are talking about? In my experience GPs really don't know much about fertility issues.

Regular cycles don't mean that you are ovulating! you can just google it and bring him some print outs ;)

I got my progesterone test back today and it shows 11 nmol :( Which clearly demonstrates that I didn't ovulate. So, means that even if there is LH surge on sticks, I still don't ovulate. I guess my body prepares to ovulate but then doesn't :(

I would say trust your body and go to your GP demanding to get a test of progesterone done on  day 21.

P

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also confused about this issue.  My fertility consultant says my regular 27 day cycles mean I am definitely ovulating.  However I have had 3 x day 21 tests and they all say I am not ovulating. I've also tried the at-home tests and never get a surge.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Hi,

It seems some Gp's are useless which is really worrying.  I was having periods every 28 days and was using OPK. One month it never detected my lh surge and I went to the Dr had blood test's to check for ovulation on day 21.  I found out that I was not ovulating, but was still having 28 day periods and still continue to do so.  I was told though by a Fertility Dr that this is rare, as you would expect your periods to be longer or shorter.

So in my experience, you can have 28 day periods and not ovulate.

x

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Can I just add that my GP told me I didn't ovulate when I had my 7dpo progesterone test, as the reading was 19. But when I went to my consultant at the fertility unit, she said I did ovulate and that anything at 16 or above shows ovulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.