Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be pregnant but also have a period??

I have endomitriosis which causes me horrendous pain, i have sore boobies at the moment...  have been TTC since February this year...

xx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Yes, it is possible to be pregnant and have periods.  When I conceived 18 yrs ago I had no idea I was pg (was told I'd have problems because my endo so severe and also I was on pill although I had bulimia and been ill so this is obviously what weakened effects of pill !)......I had normal heavy periods and pains and only went to GP cos I thought my endo was back (after op around 18mths  previous)....I was several months pregnant and sadly decided not to continue with it for reasons I won't go into here.....but I didn't have any real symptoms.

My friend, who doesn't have any fertility problems at all, had no idea she was pregnant either (several years later after me !).......she had full flow periods until she was about 6mths.....thought she'd put on a little weight but nothing much, in fact was wearing same jeans all way through her pregnancy, right up until the end !  Her son is 13 this year !!

Sore boobs can be a pg symptom but I get sore boobs pretty every month from ovulation onwards due to high progesterone levels.

Have you done a pg test ?  What cycle day are you ? 

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiyi Lass

I'm probably just flapping for no reason and its just the endo being really naughty...

I haven't done a test altho i did do one a couple of weeks back (this is due to the fact i'm panicing about having an ectopic pregnany which i have a 60% chance of having due to surgery complications for another codition)..

i think i've worked out this cycle malarky...am i right in saying your starts the day of your period?  so i'm day 9...sorry i f sound a tad thick when it comes to this...  my 'proper' periods are like clock work now, 28 days apart.  I do spot all the way in between..  and for some reason the pain comes back even worse once the period has stopped... it stopped day 5..

Thanks xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Cycle day 1 is the first day of full flow red bleeding....you should ignore any spotting and/or brown blood....and if AF starts after around 3pm then you count next day as cd1 eg...

Monday...spotting/brown old blood
Tuesday....full flow red bleeding starts 3pm
Wednesday....cd1

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry to come into your conversation but I was intested in the comment from Natasha that you have high progesterone.

I have the same issue every month with sore boobs after I ovulate and it drives me bonkers.  Have you never had any help for it ??  I just wondering what else would high progesterone cause a problem with as we are ttc.

Any information would be helpful as I am currently trying to get more help from my GP.

Many thanks

Gerty

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
gerty39 said:
sorry to come into your conversation but I was intested in the comment from Natasha that you have high progesterone.

I have the same issue every month with sore boobs after I ovulate and it drives me bonkers. Have you never had any help for it ?? I just wondering what else would high progesterone cause a problem with as we are ttc.

Any information would be helpful as I am currently trying to get more help from my GP.

Many thanks

Gerty
Hi Gerty

Although my high progesterone results can cause all sorts of symptoms eg sore boobs, nausea etc it's not a problem to be concerned about. Progesterone supports early pregnancy until placenta takes over so really it can only be a good thing is have good, high levels...I can't see that it would be a problem when ttc.

It can cause more severe PMS which I've always suffered from (terrible mood swings, bloated, etc etc) and I used to take EPO (evening primrose oil) at the advise of GP but since ttc I've not really taken it, especially as from ovulation onwards it's not advisable as may cause uterine contractions.

I used to have regular 28 day cycles but following 2 naturally conceived early mc's, alternate months started to go a bit erratic so I was prescribed clomid to regulate cycles and also to boost (release more eggs as ovulate naturally).....I still ovulate on cd14/15 but my cycles regulated to 30/31 days so long luteal phase....and have remained same for last 3 years since I was on the clomid (in 2005). Natural cycles my progesterone, tested at cd21 has been between 61-81 nmol/l....lowest was 48 nmol/l but this was first natural cycle following IVF. When I was on clomid I was tested twice in 6mths and my levels came back at 103 and 105 nmol/l. Consultant said that on natural cycles it may mean I release more than 1 egg sometimes...and when on clomid I definitely released more than one egg as these higher prog levels as well as follicle tracking scans confirmed.

Have you had your progesterone levels checked ? Normally tested on cd21 but this assumes ovulation on cd14.... as progesterone peaks at 7dpo so if you ovulate earlier or later in cycle then ideally should be tested accordingly. Do you have regular cycles ?

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Natasha

Thanks for your reply.  My cycles have been a bit hit and miss for a couple of years after a lap although lately I seem to have settled into a 25 day cycle well for the last 4 months that is.  I have all those sysmptoms as well and sometimes severe PMS ( ^bigbad^).  I have been getting so fed up with it that I was at my doctors a few months ago to see if they could do anything.  He never mentioned it could be high progesterone.  I did get him to do a blood test as I thought I could be hitting an early menopause but they came back okay.  I have not had the 21 day blood test done for a while.  I think the doctor will get fed up with me if ask him to do that test again!

Thanks
Regards
Gerty

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi again

I wouldn't worry about it.  It really is very common to get PMS symptoms (which includes sore boobs) and doesn't necessarily mean you have high progesterone levels....even women with absolutely no fertility or gynae problems at all get PMS.  I also get terrible hormonal migraines just before AF and consultant said this most likely due to my high progesterone levels crashing....and as I mentioned before, I have long luteal phase....and whenever I've charted my temps, they don't drop until either day AF arrives or on occasion, day after AF arrives....again, he suggested that all these could be due to high progesterone.

If you've ovulated and your levels are fine then sounds good.

Take care
Natasha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts