Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

Last Saturday when we had lunch at John Lewis's cafe, a lady came to my seat and gave me a one-pound coin saying it's for the little one's(my son Ethan) bank. She was very polite and may be 40s old, having lunch with the other old lady. At first, I was thinking I didn't lost any coin on my way from the cashier and didn't know why she did so(I'm not British native, I'm suprised actually), then I understood it after I kept thinking what she said "for the little one's bank". I recalled my old neighbour sent Ethan a humpty-dumpty bank for his one year birthday. There is a one-pound coin inside the bank, too. I don't know if it's some kind of good old practice to give baby the coin even you are stranger? Does the coin mean anything meaningful to this baby? Anyway, thank very much for the lady. :-\ :-* 

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi

I think its a Scottish thing!  A good luck penny for a new baby.  Oh just read your ticker - not brand new then!

Annette

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Isabel was given one by a lovely old man when she was smaller,  now wondering if he was scottish

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I am in Glasgow too and was always told it brought good luck to give a baby a "piece of silver", most people do it with newborns although my DD is the same age as Ethan and stil gets it too.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Im moving to scotland then, and getting myself an adult pram to sit in...do u think I can make a million by the end of the year!?  ;D

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Right scotland it is for this years holiday.  :p

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
It comes from the saying 'cross my palm with silver' Its supposed to bring good luck to your babie by giving them a £1 coin.

A few weeks back i bought a lovely china ladybird money box off a market stall in town and a man was stood next to me and he put a pound in L's pushchair.

I didnt know what he was doing till my mum explained  ;D My mum always does this but alot of people dont do it anymore

Nikki xx

·
Registered
600 Posts
We got a £2 coin when ours were born  ;D

Surferchick xxx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Blimey I wish they had that same tradition down South! I'd be rich B is so cute. Then again I am biased. ;D

What a  great gesture though.

C~x

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We do this in the North East too, whenever someone has a baby, a new babies palm should always be crossed with silver for good luck, but also whenever you visit older relatives children are always given money for their piggy banks! 

I definatly think it is something which happens more with older generations, and personally I think that it is a lovely gesture which shouldn't be lost and I know that whenever I go to see friends who have had babies I take a hand full of silver with me to ensure I do this and hopefully one day I will be rewarded with enough luck to have a baby of my own  :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yeah, lots of people put 50pences/£1 coins in Thomas's pushchair when he was tiny (although no strangers did!) - people at work when I brought him in, parents of old school chums if I passed them in the street - I'd never heard of it before, but think it's a lovely gesture.

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
the tradition of putting coins in piggy banks is the same as putting them purses/wallets etc if you are giving them as gifts - if you give an empty one it is supposed to be bad luck, and destines them to be poor, apparently!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Its for good for them and the baby. My pram gets full of them when we go out  ;D ;D

His money box is weighed down with £1 coins  ;D

But ive never heard of giving it to an older child tho

Kelli

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I come from scotland originally and it always happened up there - when I moved to NE and had matt it happens here too - thought it was a britain wide thing how strange to find it is not.

In the west of scotland (well hamilton!) its tradition to touch the babies hand with the coins and then leave in the pram. Made a small fortune out of matt, only my moral compass made me deposit the money in his account, bout £100 in change i reckon he earned.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I live in Greece and they have the same tradition (euro coins now tho!). As babies my 2 made a fortune here but I must admit, always thought it was a Greek thing - I grew up in Scotland and never heard of it happening there (maybe Aberdonians are more stingy!)

Nicky xx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts