Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to ee my consultant last thursday and ende up seeing 2 of his trainees.  The 1st thing they did was to congratulate me on getting pg and then commiserate me on losing my baby.  One of them then went on to tell me that m/c is a symptom of my pcos! (Not sure how true this is tho).  She gave me anoher prescription for clomid which is fine.  They then gave me a prescription for metformin and i'm wondering why my consultant wouldn't have given me metformin when i saw him in january before i fell pg?  I fell pg on clomid but am worrying that if i take metformin as well that the clomid won't work.  Is there any truth in this or am i just paranoid?  i was also prescribed provera but told that if i take this to enduce a period then this will reduce the effect of the clomd!  Is his true?

Help please as am now very confused and seriously disheartened by attitude of hospital this week as also had to try and explain correct doseage of my clomid to 2 professionals who couldn't work out what to put on prescription!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucy

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hiya
I will try and answer some of your questions if I can :)

I believe there is research to suggest that PCOS sufferers have a higher percentage of miscarrying , which is why some consultants keep their patients who get pg on metformin for a few weeks into the pregnancy.
I haven't heard the metformin can reduce the chances of clomid working. As some members have ovulated/concieved on metformin alone :)
Also provera is used to induce a bleed but you dont start taking the clomid until at least day 2 of the bleed so dont see how provera can alter how the clomid works

If you are still concerned I would try and chat to your dr

^goodluck^

xx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Suzie is right - PCOS is sadly linked to a higher risk of miscarriage. Metformin may help with that. There is also some evidence to suggest that it improves egg quality. A lot of drs prescribe it to regulate cycles - it worked amazingly fwell or me!

As for the provera - some drs believe it's better to use a woman's 'natural' cycle instead of inducing a bleed. However, I used provera when I took clomid and I ovulated so I shouldn't worry either way. It may take longer for AF to arrive after a m/c so you might need to let things settle down first.

I know it's a cliche to say it, but having a mscarriage doesn't mean it will happen again. Good luck!
Verity xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts