Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a massive cold and ny nose is blocked which makes it hard to breathe. Is it safe to put some Olbas oil onto a tissue to sniff on to help clear the nose?

Also is there anything I can take to help ease the cold? I have been avoiding lemsip as I think I have heard it's not safe to drink when pregnant but is there anything else I can take?

Many thanks, Ophelia

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
hi, i have been to my gp and checked. we can use olbas oil, vick and paracetamol, also glycerine honey and lemon preparation and try inhaling steam. hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you very much Kandykane!! :) I will be popping the cork off the Olbas oil this very minute! ;D What is Glycerine Honey? Can you uy it in the supermarket? Might even pop a paracetamol later, have been trying to avoid taking it but needs must I guess and I feel so awful with this cold I might have to give in and take some.

Thanks again! :)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Hi ophelia,

Glycerin, lemon and honey is a cough syrup. Good for dry tickly coughs (if you have this). Best thing for a cold is lots of rest, plenty fluids and steam inhalation (use olbas oil or menthol crystals in it to help clear tubes).

Get well soon
Maz x

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
yeah a big supermarket will sell it. instead you could make your own honey and lemon at home if you wanted to. squeeze half a lemon into a mug, add two teaspoons of honey and top up with warm water. drink it like lemsip. lemon has lots of vitamin C in it and honey is a natural antiseptic. the other thing you can do if you are desperate is gargle with warm saltwater but that is pretty rank!
i have got an awful virus at the mo and am taking paracetamol, no choice i feel so wretched! the gp assures me it's ok.

kandy  :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Ophelia

I'm so sorry that you have an awful cold ... I know exactly how you are feeling as I was knocked for a six with it and spent a good two weeks almost in bed.

Don't forget the trusty old remedy of hot water, lemon juice with a bit of honey ... made me feel heaps better.  I also had some paracetamol ... straightforward nothing fancy ... although I didn't particularly want to.

Take care and get better soon.

GV xx

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi all, im suffering with cold a cough too, dont forget to check your temps! and go to the dr's if your worried.

i have been coughing and coughing and managed to pull mucles around my tummy and back, (im 22 weeks pregnant with twins)
but dr and midwifes say the babies are well supported and im only hurting my self,  :( onto antibiotics now , day 8 of cough and cold....its time to get better now :)

so hot lemon and clear honey, olbus oil, paracetamol. oh and bed!

get well soon ladies!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much ladies for your replies! :-* Starting to feel a bit better now, mainly coughing.

I have been given a jar of honey from someone who makes their own honey from their own bee's. It's not clear, does it have to be clear honey?

·
Registered
19 Posts
no doesnt have to be clear,
there was a recent artical on the healing propertys for manuka honey, soothes my hurty throat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.