Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Am just about to start 2nd IVF but am suprised to be told that I won't be down regging this time.
My clinic have said there is no need for this and that I can start straight on the stimulation drugs which I'll only take for 11 days before E/C. If this is the case then why bother with down reg in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here. Can anyone enlighten me?

Best wishes to all! ^reiki^

Scary xxx

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Hi there

Down regulation is used to shut your ovaries down before stimulating to give them the best chance possible of producing plenty of follicles. If response is poor then a short protocol is usually better. Down regulationis also used so that the clinic can control your cycle. This is so that they can plan when egg collections will be rather than have them all falling on the same day! I actually down regulated for 42 days on my 2nd cycle before I could start stimms  :-\

Personally I think short protocol is great! No down regulation and the symptoms that come with it! It's a much shorter process too and you can expect to be at egg collection somewhere around 12 days after starting stimms. You will take another drug from around day 4 to stop you ovulating before egg collection (that's what the down regulation drug would have done). I injected Cetrotide.

Good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Rachel x

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Scary,

there are two types of short protocol one with buserelin (SP agonist cycle) and one with orgalutron (SP antagonist).  I don't know about the SP agonist cycle but there is no significant statistical difference in pregnancy outcomes between LP and SP antagonist cycle in terms of pregnancy outcomes. 

There's a thread in peers support - pre treament on antagonist cycle that might be useful...sorry I don't know how to do the link thing.

good luck with your cycle
xx

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Scary

I had a s/p antagonist cycle (with Cetrotide) and as you can see my daughter was born 2 weeks ago ;D Go for it... Good luck

Sam

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
It was effective for me!  I had it as my fsh was slightly raised - and SP tends to be used when someone is likely to respond less well to LP.

It suited me - it was all over and done with much more quickly!

I was on puregon and cetrotide.

good luck hun!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much ladies for all your comments, you've really put my mind at rest, don't know how I coped before I found this forum, everyones so supportive & understanding. Only 4 days till I start stim (buserelin I think) so I suppose that's an agonist cycle!?
Then only 11 days to EC so I agree that it's nice that it all happens so quickly. My clinic want to do ET on Day 3 - last time it was day 2 so I'm hoping that extra day will make all the difference!!! ^pray^

Congratulations Sam, she's absolutely divine!!! :)

Very best wishes & positive vibes to you all! ^reiki^

Scary x

·
Registered
817 Posts
i aked for short on the grounds it made no senses to me to shut something down and then expect it to spring back into action. bonkers and I fear done for the convenience of clinics a lot of the time. 

·
Registered
244 Posts
My doc said that for most women, protocol doesn't make a difference!  So why not short? It's faster, easier, cheaper (slightly), and involves fewer injections. I'm all for it.

I've done 4 LPs (one birth) and 2 LPs (awaiting results on No 2).

I am a poor responder and had one "good" harvest on LP, and one "good" harvest on SP.  Others were mediocre on both...but one of those mediocre ones produced One Egg Wonder, now 15 months old!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all your replies ladies, I have now started having buserelin and menopur injections together daily so I'm still down regging I guess, but stimming at the same time !!!

Best wishes to all ^reiki^

Scary xx

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good luck with the cycle Scary, fingers crossed that you get a BFP xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts