Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

Please bear with me I hope this isn't too long winded, and doesn't turn into an essay! :)

I was wondering if the Blood test that your DR does on day 21 is to check your oestrogen levels, the reason I ask is I was wondering if you can have a deficiency in this particular hormone?

I have suffered two early miscarriages ( both natural pregnancy's), and one mid trimester loss (IVF twins) During the IVF pregnancy I was obviously taking Progesterone and this is the PG that went the furthest.

I researched on the net yesterday and found that oestrogen helps to produce progesterone, which in turn helps to support a pregnancy, and stops your womb lining shedding (hope this is right please correct me if not).

Well my first early miscarriage was when I was 18,and I had a D&C, my DR thinks that I got an infection after the procedure due to no antibiotics being prescribed, which subsequently blocked both my tubes. DH and I have not used contraception for 8 years and never a hint of a natural BFP until............ I started sniffing Buserelin and low and behold i get a natural BFP after BMS only once :eek: that month!!!!!
Now I am pretty sure that the odds of this happening the month we start our IVF with 8 years of trying 2 blocked tubes (maybe not as blocked as we thought!) and  ^BMS^ only once that month are very very low.

I researched the drug Buserelin and found that it contains Oestrogen, so I am now thinking that the extra oestrogen in my body helped our little bean to implant, I stopped taking the Buserelin and 24 hours later I started to Miscarry, once again this seems a little odd :eek:

I guess what I am asking is do any of you think this could have any significance, and is down to more than just chance, and if so how do I go about getting my Oestrogen checked?

Sorry for the very long post, I am going to see my Cons next Wednesday and will be asking his opinion, but I wondered if any of you lovely folks could help, or tell me where I can research this further.

Many thanks for reading :)

Emma.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Emma

I think the day 21 blood test is to check for oestrogen to see if you are ovulating.  I could be totally wrong though!

Good luck

Annette

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
/bump

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
KP said:
Hi Emma

I think the day 21 blood test is to check for oestrogen to see if you are ovulating. I could be totally wrong though!

Good luck

Annette
Sorry to contradict Annette but the test (usually) done on cd21 to check ovulation is for progesterone.

Oestradiol/oestrogen/E2 is tested between cd2-4/5, most often they request it tested on cd3.

When you're having IVF treatment, some clinics do test E2 levels as well......not necessarily on cd21, it really depends on when you start DR. Some will test E2 on day of your baseline scan, following DR, to check that your E2 levels are low which is an indication that there's no activity in your ovaries...basically DR puts your body into a temporary menopause and shuts everything down.

Some clinics will also check your E2 levels whilst stimming. Each developing follicle produces oestrogen and this can help give them an indication of what's happening.

Our clinic don't routinely test E2 during IVF but if you have your baseline scan and your womb is still a little thick or you've maybe got cysts/follicles on your ovaries or perhaps you've not had a bleed whilst DR, then our clinic will check your E2 levels at baseline. Also, when stimming, if you have lots of follicles then they will check your E2 levels to see if they're too high which can be an indication of overstimming ie risk of OHSS (which is why I had E2 tested this last cycle as I had 35+ follies and then on last scan I had 40+ follies & E2 levels were high so high risk of OHSS).

Oestrogen helps thicken the womb lining but you don't want really high oestrogen levels either....as with all of this, it's finding that balance.

Obviously none of us are medically qualified so I really think you should raise your concerns with your consultant as they will be able to explain properly and also whether it was an issue that may have contributed to your miscarriage.

Take care
Natasha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts