Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1763 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I think there are quite a few of us on here whose little one is starting school this September  ^scared^

I've just ordered Henry's first bits of uniform as I had some mad panic that the longer I leave it I won't be able to get any. I was totally shocked to find myself getting all choked up  :'( I can't believe he'll be going to school so soon, he seems so young and so small and also, although it's been my choice to be a working mum, once he's at school it's beyond my control whether I choose to spend my days with him or not  :-[

We had a letter come through the other week with details of a parents induction meeting and then Henry's couple of induction sessions - I'm really nervous (which is soooo unlike me)

I'm really excited for Henry and I know he's so ready for it, we've also got the little village school we wanted so all is good - but I can't help feeling a bit sad at the saem time.

How are you all feeling? Have you bought any uniform or other school bits and bobs?

S xxx

·
Registered
366 Posts
My little one started two septembers ago can't believe where the times gone, be in year 2in september :eek: :eek:

I think having spoken to other Mums who have august babies( and therefore will only just be four when they start school in comparison with someone else child who is nearly five) they seem to be the ones most concerned and understandably so as their children are very young.

My friend has a boy who was four august the 30th and started school the next week :eek: :eek:.Within two weeks he was at school full time.She could have kept him part time until xmas but no one else did this and she was worried he would get behind.

Surprisingly he coped and was no more tired than any other child.

To be honest I think it is perfectly natural to be worried and concerned whenever their birthday is but i do think the younger ones in the year seem much more like babies when they first start school by the time they reach year one there isn't any difference.

I know it's hard to imagine now but i reckon after the first couple of weeks he will be running in surrounded by new friends, hard to let them go though especially when its your first to go to school. :(

Best of luck :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Just wanted to give a big  ^hugme^ to Shelley - I can imagine how difficult it's going to be  ^hugme^

Also a big  ^hugme^ to Chux too  ^hugme^

I'm sure this time next year it will be me posting the same thing about Lauren starting school :'(

Terri xx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
F started nursery (which is attached to the school) in January. He wears a uniform and everything! I shed a tear or two when he started .. he loves it!!!

What I find tough is that I have no idea whatsoever what he does for the 2 1/2 hours each day that he spends there. As a working Mum, I have a great relationship with my childminder and whilst I don't know every second of the day, I know that she makes sure that I know all the important bits. With "school", on a day to day basis you know nothing ... and I mean nothing cause ask F what he has been doing and he says "nothing"! (Apparently this last throughout the school years ::))

I am also starting to find the party invites tough ... we were at Sydney's party on Saturday and I even had to quiz F as to whether S was a boy or a girl!
Definately makes me feel guilty for working full time ... but I know I have no choice. :-\

On the plus side ...
~ Chux ~ said:
Now I know it's not the same as if I wanted to keep him home I could, only I don't think that would be the best thing for J so obviously I won't without good reason, but the thought of being 'ruled' by pre-school brings out the rebellious me. Also, fun as we know it is coming to an end and, even worse, I have to trust someone else to look after him. ;D ;D
You make all the fun times even more the fun! ;D We seem to cram even more and more into weekends and holidays now "our" time is precious. F loves OUR family days! ;D

Also, every so often I will have a special day with F or E, when one goes to the childminder and the other has a days holiday with me. This might be me taking the day off to spend with F and then take him to and pick him up from nursery. Nothing big, but special one-to-one times.

Dee
xxx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi

My DD starts pre-school nursery in june (they do half en of june and half start in sept) and i am so scared! more for her as she has not been away from me at all (adoption-only been home for 4weeks) and when we went to the parent meeting she decided to go play in nursery while i watched the dvd with all other parents and then she was about the 10th child to come into the hall crying and when i got my hands on her i had tears in my eyes cos she was sibbing "mummy you left me" when we left she said "mummy i not like school i not go again"

Her school do a toddler session on a friday so we have been going to that and she wears her new school shoes! and i have got her 1 of her new dresses and she seems happier!

xxxx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evening  :)

Thanks for you all your posts.

Henry has been at nursery at least 2 days a week from the age of 7m so he's very used to that kind of environment and so are we. He's even recently changed to a new nursery as well and that's all been good. I really just think it's finality of proper school that's making me a bit sad  :-[

S xxx

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Yes! Hello Shelley :)

Millie starts in September, she's desperate to go and really excited. She has only just stopped asking me "how many sleeps" ;D

I've bought her pinafore's and her blouses/shirts, her plimsolls and her tights. Everything else, sweat cardigan, coat, gym kit and bits all come from the school.  We ordered two weeks ago so I really only have shoes to get ;D  Millie's school has a small farm and she gets to do lunchtime animal club which she is MEGA excited about.  We went for a visit to see the headmistress about 3 weeks ago as we are away for the "get to know you" sessions.  It was a bit daunting for her and myself actually...felt like a child again afraid to say the wrong thing! ;D  Anyway, all went well and we came away with 3 freshly laid eggs from the school chickens!

Saying the above and as exciting as it is, I'm also very aware this is the start of a whole new era and I'm well aware the days of lets just go out and do something are going too fast.  I'm hanging all my hopes out on "insect" days...I hears theres a few of those in amongst the school days ;)

Thankfully we all still have the summer with our little ones, plenty of play days to come.....just no more "cheap" september holidays!  :'(

Hugs hugs Shelley ^hugme^ we will all be here for you come Sept...we can all blub together  :p

Amanda xx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hello.....my DD starts reception in September!! :eek:

We got a letter inviting us to a Meet the Teacher session although they didn't mention any induction days. I've bought a couple of bits of uniform just cause they happened to have some in the sale at M&S and I was passing.

OMG Amanda ~ you are so organised!!!! How fabulous that you have a school farm and school chickens....i love that. Can I come and live where you are ;D

Kitty seems to be looking forward to it.......she's a bit scared but she does keep talking about it and I think she'll enjoy it but she's so small!

Me........i'm pooping myself!!!!!!!! And I will definately be blubbing big time.

Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Yes please Lizzy.....then we can play "cameras" together during the day while the little ones are at school! ;D ;D  It's only a smallish farm nothing major but nice for the kids to get involved in.

I got M's bits in M&S too, I panicked and thought the pinafore's might sell out so I got mine last month ;D  M's so slight on the waist that I thought a pinafore would be better for her, less scruffy and least her shirt won't be hanging out of it. I do love the little ones in pinafore's rather then skirts and shirts, they look so cute :)

Does Kitty mention "big kids" ?  M's only asked about the BIG kids who will be at school so I think that's her reservation ???

Hugs to you too!
Love A xxx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Sounds fun.....i'll start packing ;D

I got Kitty a pinafore too......i think she's a similar build to Millie and definately will fit a pinny better and they do look really cute.

The only thing she seems to worry about is she went to the school near her preschool at Christmas to watch their nativity and I think it was busy, lots of kids etc....

So now she's a bit worried there might be too many people there.

Do you remember being in the infants.....the Juniors looked like adults!!!

xxx

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Shelley!

Daisy also starts in September (and Connie at pre-school!!). I feel SO sick about it all. Like you, I've managed to get her into a little village school, which is lovely. But I just feel so worried that she won't know any of the other children there, and I don't want her to feel lonely! There's only about 10 of them going (they have mixed year groups) so hopefully it won't take long for her to get to know everyone. She has her first induction morning on June 12th from 8.55 -12.00! And then she has another 2, and 1 afternoon before the end of term. When she starts properly in September, they all just do half days until Christmas, which I'm pleased about as I'll still get to keep her for myself for a little while!

I had a good cry about it all the other evening. Toby 'helped' by suggesting that maybe it was nearly time of the month and I was hormonal! :mad: Thanks!

At least one of your babies is still tiny!

Tam xx

p.s. Normally I am REALLY organised, but I hadn't even thought about school uniform yet, and now you've all worried me!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morning  :)

Tam - I so have the same worries as you. Our little school has an intake of 13 this year and I don't think Henry will know anyone either. He'll also being doing half days until xmas as he was born after 1/4 - i'm just wondering how many of the 13 will be doing this? I there are twins also born in August but if the rest are pre 1/4 then they will all bond (they only do half days for 2 weeks!) and I'm worried Henry might get left out  :-\ Lol to Toby - men!!!

Lizzy - Lol to the juniors  ;D I love little pinafore's - maybe I should get one for Henry - he loves dressing up in girls clothes  ;D Seriously though, he's soooo small he still wears 18-24 month trousers - do they do school trousers small enough  ;D Anything bigger and he'll be running around the playground pulling his trousers up  ;D

Amanda - awww bless Millie - how many sleeps  ;D Sounds a fabby school - a farm!! I know what you mean about being on best behaviour - when we met the head  I was making sure I was talking in my 'best' voice and trying to be all grammatically correct  ;D

Well our induction day is 23 June and Henry's sessions are 2 & 16 July - i'm already going through the 'what shall I wear' etc etc  ::)

Hey, bet Henry's got the worst uniform though - purple and gold  ^scared^

S xxxx

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shelley

My son was really small when he started school.He was just in age 2-3.I managed to get his school uniform in Mothercare.Trousers start at age 2-3 as do the shirts.

I think this is because of the private schools starting at three and having to wear school uniform and also a lot of the nurseries attatched to schools do so it done me a favour really :) :)

The other thing that helped is at his school the boys have to wear shorts all year round until year six ::) ::)So in fact his shorts looked like 3/4 trousers ;D ;DCould have been worst if he had to wear trousers I guess they would have been trailing four inches behind him ;D ;D

The blazer was another story got the smallest size but the amount we had to turn the sleeve up meant the whole sleeve was doubled over so he walked around with his arms sticking out sideways like a robot for sometime ;D ;D

Someone said to him the other day in a shop seeing him in his still little uniform "oh how sweet have you just started school" He was seriously not impressed and informed her infact he was soon going to be in year two.I neglected to inform him in fact he is smaller than the current reception class ;D ;D

G

·
hi all

Ellie is also starting in September. She is ready for it as been at preschool since she was 2 but she still seems too little!!!!!

I have got pinafore but just waiting for details of school t shirts, jumpers etc. Ellie is going to a very small village school so a little less daunting but I'm sure more than a few tears will be shed at the school gates and not 1 will be from ellie!
When she was a baby I used to say i can't wait till she is sitting/standing/walking and now I just want my baby back!!!!!!!!

Hope we can keep this thread up as an emotional time for us all

Donna x

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We've got our parents 'induction' session at Henry's new school this afternoon. It's absolutely ridicuous, I am sooooo nervous  ;D My stomach is doing summersaults and as for what to wear  ::)

I guess it's because I just don't know what to expect.

Anyone else had there's yet?

Henry's got his 1st session next Wednesday  :)

S xxx

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi girls can I join you here  :)

Amy goes in September too, we have got into the village school which I am pleased about. It has small classes and also an onsite swimming pool.

We have bought all of Amy's school uniform apart from shoes and a lunch bag, I was worried everywhere would sell and July is nearly here don't want to be panicking before our holidays in August  ^idiot^
I have gone for pinifores too. We had our induction a fortnight ago and Amy has a taster on Thursday morning. We also had a one to one with our teacher today re Amy's epilepsy and her medical needs, all went well and I'm very impressed that both the teacher and the assistant came along to speak to me and am very reassured she'll be fine  :)

At the induction I sat with a permanent lump in my throat  :'( my little friend is off and it will be strange not to have her here in the day, altho I intend to make sure twice a month that Hannah is still in nursery after school so Amy and I can still do things together. We do this no on a fri morning at the mo and don't want to stop so intend to move the time  :)

It's such a big step for us and them, but am looking forward to a whole new set of firsts, reading, recorders, sports day etc

^hugme^ for us all x x x x

G

·
hi

Ellie's new teachers visited us at home today. Ellie talked their ears off she wasnt fazed at all. They were lovely and really good with her but It really hit me today how independent she is and how grown up she is (tears are rolling!!!!!)

We have a parents meeting on fri and ellie goes for the morning next tues.  There will only be 14 children in ellies class with 1 teacher and 2 teaching assistants.

I got pinafores from tesco where they are 3 for 2 I got 3 for £8. We have shoes, tshirts and will buy cardigans and pe kit on Friday.

As from August 28th my baby will be a little girl not sure how I will cope with that

Donna x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
We have the school teacher visit next Tuesday for Millie, does anyone know what to expect...do I need to bake cakes or anything ;)

Seriously though, what are they looking for, why do they visit?

Thanks
Amanda :)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya,

Blimey - teacher comes to visit you at home - wow - are you going private? Dh and I had to go to the school on Monday afternoon which was fine. She just ran through some bits and bobs and explained a few things about what the children will be doing etc. It's a tiny village school but they have had to take 15 this year (normally 13) and turned 25 away so we are soooo lucky to have got a place. Henry has his first induction next Weds from 1315-1500 and we just have to take him in and leave him  :'(

Amanda - Just by some posh bisucuits and pass them off as your own  ;D

Donna -  ^hugme^

Sarah - Ah that's such a nice way to look at it "a whole new set of firsts"  :)

Looks like so many of us have done very well to get little schools/small classes doesn't it

Think we'll be needing lots of cyber tissues very soon  ;D

S xxx

G

·
amanda - the teachers stayed for around 20mins, one of the teachers sat with ellie and went through her teachers names and what they will do at school etc... The other teacher sat with me she asked questions such as what does ellie enjoy doing, what are ellies particular strengths etc... She then asked about family, allergies and such like.

They also told us the other children names
who would be starting with ellie in September.  I didn't have biscuits didn't even think of that!!!!

Shelley - cyber Kleenex ready and waiting

Sarah - I agree lovely to think of a whole new set of firsts : )

Love

Donna x

1 - 20 of 1763 Posts