Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH and I had an appointment with the consultant at the sperm lab on Friday.  We will be using 10 year frozen sperm for our fertility treatment. 

I wanted to ask you all about IUI and whether this is the best option to pursue?  I have read many of your messages and it seems that many of you are saying that it's best to jump straight to ICSI if you have the funds. 

I have yet to be referred to a fertility clinic and I will discuss all this with the consultant on my first appointment, but I just want to get some advice.

IUI or ICSI in using frozen sperm?

Soulcyster

·
Registered
371 Posts
Personally with frozen sperm I would jump to Icsi as you have a limited supply and the chances are considerably higher and the consultant will know if there are any problems with fertilisation etc.

Just my £2 worth
Megan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Megan,

Thanks for your advice.  It seems like ICSI will be the logical choice when we only have a limited supply of sperm.  I am not sure how successful IUI is with frozen sperm - I thought about trying 3 rounds of IUI before trying ICSI.

Am I right in thinking that you only need a tiny amount of sperm for ICSI and you can fertilize up to about 20 eggs?

Soulcyster

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Definitely go for ICSI if you can afford it - I really wish we had! 

I was really hoping the iui would work & that it might save us a few quid!! False economy - I'm now older, more sceptical & beginning to panic!!

The NHS official stats for iui are a 9% success rate - obviously this does include some people who are not really suitable for the procedure but it doesn't include those with serious male factor IF.

Some clinics claim 20% success rates with iui but I'm really sceptical about that - if that's the case & the official average figs are only 9% then some clinics success rates must be zero!!

Good luck! I really hope it works for you!

Jess x

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Hi ya,

I'd go for ICSI as we asked about freezing some now I'm in my 12th week and hubby will have will back onto his full medication (for an auto-immune disease) and this may affect any future bubs we may want. Clinic said that for IUI the amount left after feezing isn't adequate.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Charlie xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.