Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies! :)

Not completely sure that i'm posting in the right place but here goes.  Me and DH have been investigated for quite a while and were told by NHS clinic that or best chance of conceiving was through ICSI.  Anyhoo, have been to a private clinic as I am keen on egg sharing and we have been told today that my bloods are OK and that DH swimmers aren't as bad as what we were led to believe.  We have been told that we can try IUI or IVF.  The 'problem' is that at the start of this all, I wanted to try the least invasive thing but now that we have options I'm really not sure what to do  :-\ :-\-DH is just as confused as me!!  I would like to attempt IVF but want to try whatever is likely to give us a positive outcome.

I suppose what i'm asking is what does anybody else think?? has anyone attempted IUI and/or IVF and what advice wqould you offer???? Sorry for the waffley post but like I said we were told ICSI was the only way ahead and now we've got some decisions to make!! :-\

Thanks

Tinkerbelle78 xx

·
Registered
221 Posts
well i had 2 lots of iui we had unexplained fertility at the time,and i felt it was a lot less stressfull then ivf which i have just had one attempt at .but didnt manage to get any follis...also if u paying its alot cheaper,,,hope i have helped u a bit
sue

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I think if we'd had the option then we'd probably have gone for at least a couple of IUIs before embarking on the IVF route....even though I was 36 when we finally got to see the fertility consultant after almosts 2 years of ttc.  Unfortunately I'd already been told several years ago by another consultant that having IUI would be a waste of time and money for us as my tubes are damaged and sluggish due to endo/adhesions.....and our fertility consultant agreed....so it was IVF for us (although did have 6mths clomid whilst ttc naturally and I have conceived 3 times naturally - not when on clomid though !)

IUI is far less invasive and alot cheaper.....it's far more "natural" so you don't have to go through the stressful weeks of downregging and stimming...unless of course you're having medicated IUI which is slightly different.

As you've been ttc for 2 & half years and are only 29, personally I'd have at least a couple of goes of IUI....the success rates may not be as high as with IVF but with IVF there are no guarantees either.....and if you read the IUI board you'll see there are still many BFPs !!!

Ultimately it's only a choice you & DH can make though....

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replys!! :) :)

I think because I have PCOS the IUI cycles were going to be stimulated-at least thats the way the nurse was describing things cos when I asked her she said that I would receive the same drugs as with an IVF cycle except at a lower dose.  Have had Clomid but that was 6mths of hell and 6 BFN's-Clomid did nothing except give me monster headaches!!!

T xx

·
Registered
67 Posts
When we were first investigated we were told that ICSI was our only way forward as there were significant sperm problems. However - further analysis showed that the problem might not be as bad as first thought and that IUI would be an option. We were offered IUI or IVF - our consultant said that yes he could offer IVF straight away and take lots of money from us or we could have 3 tries at IUI which is far less invasive and is, in his mind, the equivalent of having 1 IVF. If this fails then we can move on to IVF if we choose. He said that by doing it this way it also lets them know more about the sperm and the way it behaves (?)

We have just had our first failed attempt at IUI and I start injecting again tomorrow for our 2nd go. As the drugs are at a fairly low dose there are very few, if any, side effects and the procedure itself is very straight forward and not painful. I know that the success rates aren't as high with IUI as with IVF but, like our consultant said, the first go is a learning curve. They are looking at how your body reacts to the drugs and if it doesn't work then they adjust them on the next go. I didn't expect it to work first time - I still hoped it would but wasn't suprised when it didn't. The drugs doseage has been adjusted this time around and I'm hoping that it'll be our time! If not then next time around!

I'd definitely recommend trying IUI before IVF as, like others have said, it's less invasive, probably slightly less stressful and slightly more natural - and a fraction of the cost. So if your consultant thinks that it can work then it's worth a try.

Good luck and fingers crossed

Cooky

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Hi Tinkerbel,

We are in a similar situation... we were told not to expect anything in DH's semen analysis but surprisingly DH's count was quite high and the only issue is his morphology at 2% the Dr gave us a choice of IUI but gave us 10% chance of it working and said IVF would be higher but more invasive... As we get 3 funded cycles of IUI and one IVF we decided to go for the IUI as it would give us more chances to get that elusive BFP.  I'm fine really and the only issue is DH's morpholgy as i say so no reason to believe IUI cant work and we are now on the waiting list to start our 3 goes  :)  I'm hoping that we are lucky with the IUI as it is less invasive even with it being medicated.  Its a decision you and your DH need to come to really and what works for you both.

Good luck hun!

Bekie

·
Registered
646 Posts
We had the same conundrum and we decided (on our PCTs advice) to go the other way and straight into IVF. Our PCT offer 1 funded IVF or 3 IUI (as has been said before, 3 IUI=1VF in terms of success and cost, in theory). We talked about it and felt that, at least with IVF we may be able to have some embryos that we could use if the first time is not successful, or if we are (You never know! ^pray^) and want to try a second time.

It is a tough choice. I totally understand the idea behind starting with least invasive first. But then I figure that if I do 3 lots of IUI drugs etc, I would be almost putting my body through the same stress as 1 IVF (I expect this is an exaggeration on my part, and assumes the 3 IUI would not be successful, so I really have no evidence to back up this idea!! But...there you go, what's a bit of logic between friends?)

Hope you come to a choice you are happy with. :)

Pabboo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts