Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 4 iui's in all( 1st worked and have dd and last 3 failed). I usually have trigger day before iui but this time after my scan on Tuesday (I had 3 follies, 2x18mm and 1x13) they said to do trigger today at 6pm (Wed) and go for iui 9am on Friday. I am really worried I'll ov too early and miss the window. My cons said it is because of the size of the follies - but I think my eggs will be hanging around a while before swimmers get there. I'm sure I read that the longer the egg waits around the less likely it is to fertilise. Again, my cons said it is fine for 24 hours. I wish I felt more convinced! It will be 39 hours between trigger and iui and I usually have less than 24 hours. Any experience/info?? x  :-\

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hi
I didn't want to read and run. I have had DIUIs at 2 clinics who both do it very differently. The one that used the trigger jab as a trigger did it 36 hours before and that seemed normal for them but I suppose each clinic monitors differently and will have a view on the size of your follies etc etc. I thought 36 was the norm so just goes to show how different they all are.
My other clinic did insem on day of OPK surge and the 2nd day - they give trigger jab at first insem - they try and catch things naturally - but my timing has always been very different.
I am sure this doesn't really help you but if you are unsure why not call tomorrow to ask about it? I always ask loads of questions!

Good luck with it anyway
Tiny x

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello Rachel

It does seem that clinics do this differently  :-\ I'm not at all convinced the timing was right for one of my IUI's.

I know that another time I would contact the clinic and question the timing so I was very sure in my own mind it was right.

Good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Emma x

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies. I do question quite a bit I think - but at the end of the day I suppose you have to trust them. I'm not sure how fast my follies will grow and how long an egg can be realistically fertilised once it's popped. I questioned this and he went into lots of detail about cytoplasm and meiosis etc and said that at 37 my eggs would still be in good shape etc etc. I don't know why we are always told that fertility declines quickly after 35 if my eggs are in 'great shape'! He hasn't even seen them!! Oh well - basting tomorrow so we'll see. x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

You'd usually ovulate around 36hrs following HCG injection so it just sounds like he's trying something different in you being basted just after ovulation rather than just before.  Although sperm can live for about 3-5 days, perhaps he's trying to ensure that there's a really good fresh supply for the egg...

They like follicles to be minimum of about 18mm before rupturing so sounds like he's trying to ensure that a nice healthy egg is released....if follicle is too small then it may mean that egg is too immature for good fertilisation.

It's not a problem if the egg isn't fertilised immediately it's released...it can survive for around 12-24 hours once released so I'm sure things will be fine.

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Minxy. I'm getting worried now as I'm being basted tomorrow at 9am and my cm has started to become a bit cloudier and more tacky. It is still a bit stretchy but I can't help thinking the timing is out for me. Does the cm change as soon as you ovulate or 24 hours after? It doesn't make sense if it is 24 hours after as I only triggered last night. I know I'm just getting myself worked up. THis is our last iui and the pressure is on.  :( x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi hun

Your cm would usually become thinner, clearer and stretchier as ovulation approaches and then thicker and creamier following ovulation.....BUT....I honestly would try not to get too worried about it...you're taking hormones which will effect things and if you only did the HCG trigger last night then it's unlikely you'll have ovulated immediately.

I know  it's easier said than done but try not to think about it all too much....keep yourself occupied so makes the time go quicker....and I'm sure your basting tomorrow will be timed just fine :)

Lots & lots of luck ^reiki^
Natasha

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Minxy. Well - the cervix was still open and there was still clear cm there (there was a student nurse there and she had to look too!) I asked about it and he said your clear cm does begin to wane even before ov as the most fertile time is the day or 2 before - so the swimmers are waiting for the egg. My dh's sample was decent again - (I love laptop trays - 4million washed before using it and now 59million!!) - and so all we can do now is hope and pray.  ^reiki^ x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts