Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Serum (Greece) board but it was suggested I also post it here  :)      I'm hoping to cycle next month at Serum and a while ago had a conversation with Ruth re IV steroids done quite shortly before ET as opposed to starting oral steroids at the beginning of the cycle.

I'm having immune tx with Dr Gorgy in London and he was surprised and thought it would be better to allow time for the steroids to build up and work rather than getting one big IV "hit".

Does anyone have any thoughts on the two methods?

Thank you

Woody

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
I really don't know, but Dr G's point sounds logical.  If its a question of trying to reduce the numbers of NK cells/activated NK cells then I would expect that to take time as it can only happen through encouraging existing ones to die off and not proliferating more.  I guess if its purely down to inflammatory processes in the uterus then the effect could be quite fast, but I would expect it to be a whole mix of processes - reducing the NK numbers/activated NK numbers, reducing inflammatory cytokines and reducing inflammation - so surely some of them would take some time.  I'd expect it to be similar to what Dr Sher says about intralipids (and about steroids) that they need to time to affect the NKs so he says they need to get into your system at least 7 days before ET - so he recommends starting intralipids and steroids about 7-14 days before when you think your ET will end up being - that might not be quite at the start of your cycle though - more like day 5-7ish?

but I THINK some of the thinking in the approach of the some of the greek doctors is only to give a very gentle 'nudge' to the immunes - a fairly low dose infusion close to ET - rather than what the other docs are trying to do which is a bit more a 'blitz' - I don't know if the infusion is a fairly low dose or not?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Agate :) It all makes sense - I wish I were more "forensic" in my thought processes!

You are right re the timing of the pills - Dr G's prescription says to start the prednisolone on CD 5.

I don't know what the Serum dose is yet. I'll find out. I'm all for hammering the immunes, though :) 

My gut is aligned with the gradual build up and suppression. Thanks for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts