Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are about to embark on our first round of IVF and wanted some advice on IVF and acupuncture/chinese herbs. We recently visited a clinic who advised us not to have acupuncture while going through IVF as they do not want this to interfere with what the drugs are trying to do. I am confused as I have read that acupuncture/chinese herbs can help with IVF. Thought it would be a good thing for keeping stress levels down.

I have been having acupuncture for 9 months now and really would not want to stop as I find it really works for me from a relaxation point of view/PMS symptoms etc. My specific acupuncture treatment has been focusing on balancing hormones and strengthening blood flow, as are the chinese herbs I am taking. Any advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
I did acupuncture and mediation regularly through my tx and I really believe it helped me. Dr. Gaudoin at the GCRM had mentioned that there is some correlation between acu and success in IVF.
Good luck to you! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
xxA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi :)

Thank you for the reply. Were there specific times you went or did you get treated throughout?

I guess with one trying to balance and one trying to stop everything concerned it might have  negative impact.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi there EJT,
I went weekly for the two months leading up to EC and had another session immediately after ET. Then went sporadically after that when I needed to. I hope this helps...I didn't do any Chinese herbs so can't really offer any insight there. I did eat brazil nuts daily as that is supposed to help with your lining.....
Good luck to you!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
xxA

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've used acupuncture, specifically in the week or so before ET, and both before and after ET on the day, and would do again. It seems to be well established as a complement to IVF, even though I understand the jury is out on whether it actually helps (I believe that women having acupuncture are more likely to get a BFP, but it's not clear whether it's causal, or whether women having acu might also be taking more exercise or eating better, for example - something different). But I've been using it for other things for a number of years and know it has good effects on me for relaxation etc. Personally I'd be more cautious about herbs, as I'd think there's more possibility of a clash with the drugs, or at least unknown/untested side-effects, or additional stress on your liver etc. I think I'd want to tell my clinic about herbs I was taking in case there are known problems. But I don't know anything about them, and you may be able to find research on it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi EJT
:)
I used acupunture for my last cycle and i found it very helpful through out the whole process i only had it once a month . But am about to start my short cycle and have booked acupunture for each week in jan as they say that just before EC you should have a session and when you your ET have another session . I have't used any chinese herbs, but it is relaxing and enjoyable.

mmx

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi EJT,

I have been having acupuncture for 10 months now.  My clinic believe it is beneficial even though there is no proof.    I had acupuncture 2 days before EC, day before ET and 4 hours after ET.  Unfortunately tx wasn't successful but I intend to carry on for as long as it takes as I find it very relaxing.

Hope that helps.

Kernow 11

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.