Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 38 year old woman who has just begun IVF treatment.  At the moment I am injecting Triptoreline Acetate (Decapeptyl) and will be using Fostimon (FSH)  shortly.
However, I have been taking Remeron for 12 months.  Are there likely to be any problems with the antidepressant effecting the fertility drugs.  My fertility doctor is a little scary and I don't like to bring it up with him.
Thanks for the site.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You MUST MUST MUST ask your GP immediately.  I have been in similar situation and there are VERY few antidepressants any where near safe in pregnancy - you don't want to go through all of your treatment and then dicover that you're harming the baby (possibly seriously).  I think Prozac is one that they say is okay, maybe there are better ones now that are also okay?  I really don't want to scare you but you just can't take the risk. Also most sleeping aids/tablets are out of the question (eg Temazepam etc) as they can lead to serious birth defects.
I switched to Prozac to ttc but it did nothing for me and so I had to go back on something else and give up ttc for some time.  Then, 21 months ago (HOORAYY) I was able to come off them altogether with the combined help of secular counselling, spiritual counselling, an extremely supportive homeopath, a very high grade of st john's wort supplement (not to be taken in pg either) and also valerian.  Now I won't say I'm 100% fine, but compared with the 5% - 10% function and quality of life I had before, I would say I'm at least 70% now, sometimes better.
So hang in there and do what you have to do, but don't take any risks with your unborn baby.

By the way - I'm happily 5 weeks pg with ICSI from 1st cycle and have had to give up all my (excellent) herba.

With all best wishes and hugs.  Chloe :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
BUMP

I just had a thought, maybe you know all this already and your GP has already checked the meds your are on?  Sorry if this is the case, didn't mean to go on.  Sarah.

Maybe it would help if Ruth could respond?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi RubyPeta
I am on 20mg dose of Fluoxetine..a family of prozac and I thought that I would have to come off these before starting IVF but I have been told both by my GP and my clinic that they will not effect the drugs whatsoever and that due to the stressfull nature of the IVF I should remain on them, I must admit that I have not asked about any effects they would have on a resulting pregnancy, But I am sure they would have considered this as a resulting pregnancy is what we are trying to achieve!
Personally I am going to ask this question at my next visit just to put my own mind at rest.
Personally I would prefer to come off the tablets as I don't feel they are doing much for me anyway! mind you I am currently having counselling which is bringing all the emotions to the surfice and I don't think that winning the lottery would do much to lift my mood at the moment
anyway good luck with your treatment I hope all goes well
Dydie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.