Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hope someone can offer some advice...please

This might sound really stupid but im worried about OHSS.... Im on IVF cycle... and wondering which drugs may cause OHSS... is it the Menopur?  Im worried that the clinic wont monitor me.... ive been on Burs'n inject's for 15 days and have not had any contact from the clinic.. im due for down reg scan on day 17....is this normal? 

Ive read symptoms of OHSS and understand that people can be very very poorly....so i would know there was something wrong.. but im worried that I might be left until it gets to the worst stage possible... how often do people normally get checked by clinics when they are on stimms? 

I think im starting to become really apprehensive about stimms due to OHSS....

hope this makes sense and someone can help....
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
181 Posts
hi. when I was d/r I had to d/r for 2 weeks, and got my first scan on day 14, from what I understand is that is normal to not be scanned reg through the d/r stage, just the stimming is the important part cos ohss, but drink lots of water cos thats what everyone recomends, to lower the risks.

As for when you are on stimms you should be scanned every few days, I was scanned  every 3 or 4 days in my cycle, and i'm sure your clinic will do the same. Try not to worry too much I am sure you will be fine, and the very best of luck to you too! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Flower

You can't really get OHSS during the down-regging and there is no specific drug that will cause it.  Down-regging is just the way the clinic get control of your ovaries and it's completely normal to be left whilst you are taking this drug. I took it for 3 weeks (it was over xmas 2003) and was only scanned the once at the end to make sure that the ovaries were quiet.  Once you start stims you will be monitored regularly, probably after about 6 days or so...so that they can see exactly what's going on with your ovaries and check numbers and size of follicles.  To prepare for this drink plenty of water and cranberry juice and milk and eat alot of protein.  The trigger shot you take 36 hrs before EC is what can tip the balance with OHSS and this is sometimes not given if OHSS looks likely and the cycle will either be abandoned or you will be coasted till your oestrogen levels stabalise.

As long as you are aware of OHSS and do everything you can (as well as your clinic) to minimise the chances of getting it the odds are in your favour that you won't get it or if you do it will be very mild. 

I did get it, largely because I wasn't so aware as you and also because I ended up pregnant with twins.  So although horrible at the time, the end result was well worth it.  In fact after ET it can be a very good indicator that you're pregant.

I would say be aware of the symptoms and do everything you can to help minimise getting it but don't get too worried about it as many things can be done to alleviate if it did happen.  Concentrate on taking care of yourself and getting through each day of this cycle and hopefully you'll be celebrating a very happy result at the end of it.

Good luck to you    Eve xxxx

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi there, have just had jab training and asked about OHSS because I didn't know anything except that you can get it.

The nurse said that even with mild OHSS you are in acute pain and feel very unwell. At this stage they send you home with pills and tell you to drink lots and monitor you every day.

So i think you would know if you were getting it and could get help before it got too bad.

Her tip was to make sure you drink at least 2 ltr of water a day which helps the body flush the drugs out of you and stops them building up.

She also said that it mostly occurs around EC & ET if its going to, because your own hormones can kick in after ET and with the residues left from the drugs it can cause an overload.

Hope this helps - I certainly felt better informed after she told me.

Cathy  :-*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.