Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I had ET last Wednesday and have been too paranoid to have a bath. Now before you all think I am now a stinky wotsit, I HAVE had showers! Just jump in and out cos I hate showering!

Is it safe for me to have a proper bath yet? When I say proper, I mean lie and read a novel bath!

Thanks!!

Adrienne

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi purpleal

Sorry i cant answer your question , but im so glad you asked it :-[ i had ET yesterday and have been wondering the same thing...canny beat a good soak ;D

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi Adrienne,

I always had showers until after beta test - too nervous to have a bath!  I was told not to have baths (especially hot baths) during 2ww, so I stuck to this for peace of mind.

Good Luck

Daisy

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
I was told No baths just showers till you got a result.

Love Kimx  x x

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi Adrienne,

I was blissfully unaware that there was an issue with having baths in the beginning of my 2ww, and because I had been having baths when I found out I carried on, thinking that if that was going to cause anything to go wrong then it already had.  I'm now 7 weeks pregnant and carried on having my long soaks (although my water was never really hot anyway).  I don't know the reason that some clinics tell their patients to shower on the 2ww instead - but also another logical reasoning is how about all the women that fall pregnant naturally - they don't know they are pregnant in those early days.  If you are that paranoid about it then I think its probably best that you avoid them.

Good luck in your 2ww....its a long long time isn't it.

Zoe

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi

I believe one reason for no baths (and no swimming) may be related to the fact that, unlike a natural pregnancy, the cervix is slightly open after the ivf procedure (due to all the invasiveness of the retrieval/transfer procedure etc.) so they want to keep any possible chance of infection or irritation away from vagina and open cervix (and uterus). 

However, I'm sure it is ok to have warm baths (as Zoe has graphically demonstrated!) but maybe not until a couple of days after transfer to be safe.

Daisy
x

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi
following ET we have always been told not to bathe for 1 week to reduce the risk of any infection.
Hope everything goes well fingers crossed
jue juexx :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi

I was told to carry on as normal - although didn't have a bath for a couple of days after ET but had several during 2ww, with nice book!!!  :) It helped me relax - I love a hot bath and had terrible back ache/tummy ache in 2ww and found that hot water bottle helped instead of hot bath, but have since read that this should be avoided...... :(

good luck! ^reiki^
Churchill

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Ladies - just trawling round the site and came across this question. It had occured to me, the night of ET actually, so I just decided not to anyway just in case. I had ET last Sunday - also at Essex Fertility Centre by the way Churchill - seeing your result has given me hope, they make it such a pleasant experience for you don't they? I test in 8 days.

Congrats again to Purple Al too, who has just posted her BFP news on the IUI girls turned IVF thread! ^reiki^

Mizz Gizz. x

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mizz,

I was too scared to bath! I could imagine my poor embies drowning! Impossible, I know - but still!
I ended up having a quick bath on day 12 after transfer - and only reason for that was I needed to shave my legs because hubby was coming back from South Africa! I didnt want him to think he had married a baboon!! I showered the rest of the time and even now, I'm too scared to lie in the bath - just jump in and out!

Love Adrienne

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Purp - know what you mean, especially since reading the message above from daisyg about the cervix staying slightly open for a time. Is a bit iffy though trying to lean on the wall and shave your legs...LOL! ;D

Mizz. x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.