Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking into ivf an djust wondered if anyone can tell me about the ec i am so scared at the thought , does it hurt?
are you awake?
what do they do?
can anyone please give me advice

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Sunny, ^wave^

I have had ec twice now and its fine hunny. They put you out under general, so you dont know whats going on and you don't feel a thing. Obviously you have to have the sedation which a
line goes into your arm/hand but thats nothing, specially after all those blood tests and injections
for the treatment.

I had some cramping afterwards and was a little saw, but I was up and walking fine the next few days.

So dont worry hun you will be fine.

Luv
Spirit 

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Im glad that you asked that Sunny. im stimming at the moment for my first ivf

and im so scared of the ec, dont ask me why, i think Im scared because ive never done it before, and its the

not knowing. everyone ive asked has told me that its fine, and not to worry.

Im having sedation, so i know that I wont be in any pain, and not really aware whats going on.

Good luck with your ivf journey.

Charley xxx

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi girls ty for your replys i will to have to have sedation as they want put me to sleep i wish they would though  good luck with your treatments i hope your dreams come true  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Sunny
I see you have had a laparoscopy.
That is actually far more invasive that EC.
Honestly, if you were OK doing the laparoscopy, EC will be a breeze.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Sunny,

Try not to worry about it. If I'm honest there are so many other things I would rather have been doing but it's really not that bad! I was only sedated and at the time I was sure I could feel what they were doing but afterwards I had no recollection of what went on and couldn't believe I had been in there 40 minutes. Felt absolutely fine after too.

Just try to focus on what you are hoping to achieve at the end of it, that makes it all worth while.

Good luck

Val x

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi

My ec was fine ... I had sedation , chatted constantly a load of waffle ( as if Ihad a few large wines !! ) aand the next thing I new I was being wheeled out again..!!

Had just mild period pains afterwards and the next day 100% back to normal ..

Please dont worry about it ...Its well worth it in the end !!

Good Luck

LOve
Wanda
x x x

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Sunny,

Sorry to be the negative one, but I am on my 2nd IVF and going for EC tomorrow and I am very nervous as the last time was very painful. The clinic I attend do the EC when you are fully awake and only give you a pain killing injection which does not work, however most other people seem to get sedated.

Karen

·
Registered
500 Posts
hi
i also found it painful and seemed to be awake so on round 2 asked for more drugs......
didnt feel a thing or remember anything but apparently was yapping away to drs the whole way thro...
so i would ask for extra sedation .................
it does knock you out guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!
marzy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks every one for your advise i really do appreciate it i have all your tx's goes well too  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I've had 2 under sedation and was fine. 

The first one, I was so worried and upset, that I was balling my eyes out - the nurse told me later they were worried they wouldnt be able to do it as I was so upset!  :-[  Anyway, the 2nd they put the drugs in, I was out like a light - I do remember coming round, but it was like when you're in a deep sleep and wake up, and drop off again.  Apparently, I told the Nurse I was reading 'The Sun!'  ;D ;D 

The 2nd time was fine as well  - apparently I cried out in pain, but I have no memory of it  - I do remember looking for Mark and seeing the Nurse, but thats it. 

Good luck!
Marie xx

ps - there was a nurse there, topping up the drugs if I moaned - I have no memory, but Mark told me later!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Sunny!

I loved my egg collection!! Mad eh!

The worse part was having the injection into the hand, as soon as that went in i felt a gorgeous feeling go up my arm and hey presto... i was drunk!! I honestly felt like i had had a few glasses of wine!

At one stage i did feel a tiny bit of pain, i yelped and they topped me up!!

My dp was in there with me and said i was even talking la la like when i'm drunk, i giggled away, he did say they had to put an oxygen mask on me for a minute but i can't remember that!

I was in and out of consiousness, hearing the embryrologist say 'yep, theres an egg here! or no this ones empty'!

I was awake as soon as they had finished, transferred to a bed, had a glass of water and up and about within 30 minutes, had to have a pee before allowed home!

On way home i was starving so we had to stop off for a huge steak and chips...yum yum!

I would have an ec anyday compared to my lap where i woke up with belly ache and felt full of gas! Ec for me was 100 times better!!

Good luck

Emmak

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Totally agree with you Emma.

I felt so unwell after the lap, they kept me in for 2days, then I got an infection and had to stay off work for 2 weeks.

EC is nothing in comparison. I would say though, if you have had sedation / GA before and were sick, make sure you tell them.
The first time I had EC they gave me antisickness medication during the treatment. The 2nd time, they didn't, and for the next 12hrs I vomited constantly. Nothing to do with the EC but I just react v badly to both sedation and GA.

The first time though, I was up and about eating toast and drinking tea 1hr after EC.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Sunny
hope you are less worried now as I know I am.  I have EC tomorrow and with 36 follies was worried too but sound slike with sedation it isn't so bad.

Thanks for all the a reassuring posts.

Love lshack xx

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi girls thank yiu so much for you stories i feel alot better now,  lshack hope all goes well tomora you will have to let me now what you think xxx

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Sunny

thanks for the good wishes I will report back as soon as I can.

When are you booked in for E/c

love lshack xx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Ishack
Just wanted to ask you how things are going. I am 41 too and have had one cycle of IVF that proved negative.
Worrying about my age so wanted to chat with someone of the same age!!
Take care
handh

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had sedation and didn't feel a thing and all the nurses were lovely making me feel relaxed. A few wee pains after but no worse than period pains. In fact by far the worst bit is teh 2ww after et and that's psycological!

Good luck and we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

mairi x

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Sunny

I had EC today and it was not as bad as I had expected so don't worry.
We got an unbelievable 35 eggs.  Everyone was astounded.  Still can't believe it.  At very high risk of hyper stimulation now been drinking lots but they have upped the amount to 4.5 litres a day.
Went for acupuncture this afternoon and she has calmed my system down so hopefully that will help too.

The procedure was not as bad as I expected. I had deep sedation went to sleep and knew nothing until i woke up back in the recovery room.  A very uncomfortable pain for the first half hour but then it eased to the same as pre E/C, although they did give me a voltarol pessary for use in the morning for the pain.  Now a little uncomfortable but I expected a  lot worse.  They will call me tomorrow morning to let me know how many embies there are and give me a time for ET on Monday.  sooo exciting
They have put me on heparin for my blood (I have a blood problem) which I am not oo happy about but I suppose they know what they are doing, and told to start cyclogest tonight.

An exhausting day, going to bed now.  AS don't get much sleep told to wake frequently to drink fluids.

^goodluck^

Take care

lots of love lshack xx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.