Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

IVF -Egg Sizes

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bubs 
#1 ·
hi i hope someone can answer this for me as i am sick with worry and do not trust the clinic i am with .
i started an  egg donation cycle on tuesday with my sister as donor. the clinic scanned both of us on day 6 as the hosp was shut on day 5 . my sister had already grown 2 follicles measuring 10mm naturally but in spite of this the clinic refused to start stimming her until day 8, all because i had a little bit of period blood left inside me. she had a blood test today which came back with high readings of estrogen so they now want her to reduce her medication until her next scan on wednesday.i am freaking out because i think she will ovulate over the next few days with the original 2 follicles.

my question is can small folicles get a growth spurt and catch up with bigger ones so we still get to harvest lots? we were really hoping to retreive as many eggs as possible in order to freeze them but if we only end up retrieving 2 or 3 because the hospital messed up i think i am going to finally lose the plot and start banging some  heads ^bigbad^.

Or is it possible for the two big ones to grow to oversize and not mean that we lose the smaller follicles? (i.e. grow larger without triggering ovulation).

i hope all of the above has made sense to someone out there
good luck to you all
bubs

See less See more
#2 ·
Hiya

i am not a fertility nurse

but how i understand it is that eggs will grow at different speeds - in my case they waited until the majority are a certain size and then harvest which means you lose some of the bigger ones and some of the smaller ones - dont think big ones wait for the smaller ones to catch up i'm afraid !

i understand as long as the medication is being taken then ovulation is highly unlikely to happen - though it can happen to anyone of us

sounds like your clinic is doing fine they have to make sure you are right - often from what i can gather donors are sometimes medicated for longer until recipent is ready as unless the recipent is ready - you might as well forget about the treatment working !

hope that helps

Mini xx

#3 ·
Hi Bubs

I am not a nurse and by no means an expert on this but I agree with Mini....I don't know whether your sister is taking down reg drugs too but i presume she is so she shouldn't ovulate because she will need to take her trigger injection 36 hours before egg collection.

I was told that follicles grow 1-2mm a day. The optimum size for harvesting is between 17-20(ish) mm. What I think the hospital are trying to do is stim your sister to grow some follicles that are all around the same size.  So as you say it should work that the 2 follicles your sister has grown will become oversize but the ones they have stimmed her to produce will all be about the same size so they will be the right size for harvesting.

I hope everything goes well on Wednesday

Love
Bear
xx

#4 ·
hi mini and bear ,thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly ,i have calmed down now.my biggest fear was that the largest follicles dictated when egg collection commenced,if,as you say they can be ignored and we wait for the maximum amount of eggs to develop then thats great.you have saved me from behaving like a hysterical madwoman and making a real fool of myself on the 'phone tomorrow. its just that we have had f**k ups at every clinic we have had treatments with and i just dont trust doctors to make the right decisions any more.
thanks again
bubs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.