Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hiya Ruth or anyone really

I am due to go for a review with my endo gynae next week, which is fine, i think its going to involve more surgery which i guess i am fine with as endo is affecting my bowel and bladder.

The last appt my best chances would be ivf, however my main concern is that i only have one ovary, my mind has been working overtime and i am just curious if it would be any different drug regime wise with one ovary or two i guess.

I am concerned as i only have one ovary would i be more at risk from things like OHSS?? Would i be monitored more closely??

Any help would be appreciated, as it will influence which clinic we decide to attend because of travelling times etc

Many thanks for any help or advice
Emilyxx

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Hiya Emily

I can't give you that expert advice you are looking for,  but can only assume that either clinic will stim you in accordance with your situation and closely monitor your ovary to ensure OHSS wont creep up on you  ;)

I'm sure Ruth will clarify, but I just really popped in here wanting to wish you heaps of luck for next week (in case I dont get a chance to later or go braindead as I do  :p )

Loadsa love and luck
Jax
xxx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Emily,
I also only have one ovary (like you I had severe endo affecting my bowel, bladder etc and then lost an ovary 8 yrs ago to an endo cyst).  I haven't found that this has affected my IVF treatment.  I have a 6yr old dd from a first IVF cycle (after which my endo improved immensely).  I have had 5 IVF cycles since.  Although these were unsuccessful my one ovary has generally responded very well (eg last 2 cycles were 15 eggs collected/10 fertilised, 14 eggs collected/9 fertilised) which my consultant says is better than some people get with two ovaries.  We have changed clinics a couple of times due to moving house and so have experienced 3 different drug/monitoring regimes.  My experience is that the extent to which you are monitored is much more to do with the clinic's preferred way of doing things rather than me having one ovary.  The first clinic we used monitored me constantly - a couple of times a week.  The clinic we use now monitors much less frequently which I prefer. Re OHSS, I've never been told that I am at more risk.  I did ask when I got 15 eggs if that meant that I was, therefore, at the same risk of OHSS as someone with 30 eggs from 2 ovaries and the reply I got suggested it doesn't quite work like that - I can't remember the detail of why not.
Hope this helps. Best wishes for your treatment.
Jackie

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya

Thanks Jamapot and Jackie for ur replies

DH and i have sat down and chatted and we are seeing gp tomorrow for referral to LRI for IVF

Feel a bit better now we have made the decision :)

Lots of luck to u both for ur respective tx's ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Jackie i think i remember chatting to you last year we had our losses about the same time??

thanks again
Emilyxx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Emily,
Yes, I think it was me you were talking to. You went through a lot didn't you. It's good to hear you sounding so positive about where to go from here.  We had planned to do FET this month (we have 6 frozen embies) but now that the time has arrived to phone the clinic I've realised that I'm not ready yet.  I'm still feeling a bit emotionally fragile so I think I'll leave it another couple of months.  Having said that, time is a great healer, and I'm feeling more positive about carrying on with IVF.  I was ready to give up altogether in December.
Best wishes
Jackie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts