Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to this so I'm sorry if this posting in the wrong section (is it?).  I hope the following might be of help to some:

For the last year I have been having IVF treatment in Athens, only I ended up there in a very roundabout way. 

After becoming very disillusioned by the way sperm banks operate here in the UK (as regards the restrictions on the amount of donor information available and generally their 'one size fits all' approach), I decided to look into purchasing sperm from the USA and soon I had found exactly what I was looking for.  But then I stumbled over insurmountable difficulties in getting the units shipped over to the UK and (to cut a very long story short) in the end I had the units shipped to Athens without any problems whatsoever where I have since had my 2 IUI attempts and 1 IVF and am due to go back for more in February.

I can only describe my experience as very much like 'a most exciting activity (!) holiday' !!!  No long waiting lists, in fact, no waiting lists at all, the treatment was of the highest standard, the doctors and staff at the clinic all made me feel welcome and to top it all, it was arranged for me to be 'chaperoned' by a lady whose job was to be there with me at all times throughout my treatment to translate for me, get hold of all the drugs and generally take all the anxiety of the 'unknown in a strange country' completely out of the equation.  Not to mention the total cost which came to approximately half of what (private) treatment would have cost here in the UK!!

I can't speak for any other country, obviously, but I would recommend Athens without any reservations. Please feel free to email me if you would like to know more.  I'd be more that happy to share my experiences and point you in the right direction.

Good luck to all

Alice Helyar

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
hi!!! :)

I live in Athens, just I want to know where did u do the ivf???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if I should be giving clinics' names out but I was given a choice of three by the lady who arranged my treatment and went for the one who could give me an appointment the soonest. You can write to [email protected], they have all the info.

Alice :-*

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
TP, where are you?  I have a friend who may do donor egg txt in Athens, and would need a good clinic recommendation - could you IM me?

Ta
Fee xxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hi Fee,

I am Greek and I live in Athens.
I had my ET in a new state hospital called "attikon"
Everything was perfect!!
I can search and send u the web page of the hospital if u like.. My doctor studied medicine in Greece but afterwards he was trained in UK for alot of years!!

Your daughter ia very pretty!!
(I hope my baby to be healthy and pretty too!!! ;))
Warm wishes and hugs!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fee said:
TP, where are you? I have a friend who may do donor egg txt in Athens, and would need a good clinic recommendation - could you IM me?

Ta
Fee xxxxxxx
Hey there to you all...im JO and i live in Greece well on the small island of Corfu i have been here 15 years and i have donated my eggs twice here. I know of a wonderful doctor he spent 8 years in Hammersmith hospital in the uk.. The clinic is in Athens the service is excellent if you would like any more info please contact me. I am looking to do another donation this year as this will be my last. Goodluck to you all and if you are thinking about useing Greece it is a wonderful place and the flights are cheap with easy jet too..

Love and HUgs JO ;D

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wouldn't trust Greek doctors unless they have gotten their training in a reputable colleague.I've got my reasons for saying that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am English but live in Greece, i had ICSI in Athens in October 2003 and got pregnant.My beautiful son was born on the 26/7/04.I also know two other English ladies who had successful IVF treatment at the same clinic.Success rates are much higher than in the UK and the standard of treatment,clinic etc is fantastic.No waiting lists either.They will also put back more than two embryos, up to four in some cases.
My clinic was called "Embryo Genisis" and all the staff and Doctors were fantastic.One of the head nurses and an Embryologist are English which is good if you don't know the language, though most of the staff speak good English anyway.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hi TT,
I am Greek and I live in Athens,
  I know "Embryo Genisis" its a private clinic and I know they have high success rates but there u have to pay more money than going to a state hospital here in Athens.
The hospital that I went  has no waiting list (most hospitals in Greece dont have) and all the stuff was really great..
I will sure go for my first FET there.

Stella xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts