Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im about to start ICSI in the next few months.

Im just a bit concerned. I've been reading books that mention some fertility treatments may contribute to causing ovarian cancer (long term effect of drugs).

Does anyone know if this is a fact? Are there any clinical trials/studies that have looked into this?

I assume its not proven or else fertility treatment would not be made available if there was such a risk involved?

Be grateful for any further info - thanks Deborah

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Deborah
You've been reading Marilyn Glenville, haven't you?  she's got a real downer on IVF/ICSI and I think it's mean of her to go on about ovarian cancer without giving any stats.

There is a slight risk, I can't remember how much, but as you say, I think the various studies show different things - a bit like the autism/MMR studies - backwards and forwards.  Generally there are lots of risks I guess with all forms of treatments and indeed with pregnancy, so you need to weigh them up before you go for it.
However you will be briefed on it as part of your pre-treatment counselling and you will have to sign to say you're aware of the risks.  I think it was so slim that I didn't even clock what they were saying.

Sorry don't know much more than that but no doubt someone will come up with a weblink for you -they always do here!

Thanks for the IM by the way

Claire xx

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Claire
Thanks for the info- I'll also ask the consultant when we get to see him on 4/11. I have about 25 questions to ask him!!!  and i have no idea how much time we get with our consultant. He will probably think what a pain I am...
Ive read quite a few fertility books ( I have about 7 in total!)- but dont seems to find conclusive evidence.
Hope you doing ok, speak soon Deborah 

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Deborah

There was an article in the Times a few weeks back about fertility treatment in Israel, where women have multiple goes at IVF/ICSI, and if I remember rightly they haven't really seen an increase in ovarian cancer. The clinic should discuss with you the risks involved with the treatment. My gynae discussed with me the risks involved with Clomid, and explained although there was an increased risk it wasn't much above that of the female population who weren't taking clomid. He said to me that, you should be aware of the risks and if at any stage in later life if you are worried go see your doctor and ask for tests.

I suppose it really depends as Ceedubya says about weighing the risks and deciding whether you go ahead with treatment or not.

love & hugs

Camilla

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.