Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 36 and my husband 39.  TTC 4 years.  7 cycles clomid, 4 IUI, all negative.  have just had first cycle of IVF, but only 4 eggs retrieved and none fertilised.  haven't had review appt yet, but am dying for some answers.  When my FSH was tested (2 years ago!) I was told it was "slightly high".  Does this mean I would respond better to a higher dosage of drugs?  Should the clinic have retested FSH before starting IVF?  I'm particularly concerned as my mum had her menopause aged 40.  However, am also confused, as I had 4 follicles on one of the IUI cycles.  Would another cycle of IVF be worth a try, or are we looking at ICSI?  I'm just really scared this is the end of the road for us already

·
Registered
73 Posts
KMC

Don't despair, but I know how you feel.  I am not sure about FSH levels but our story is as follows:

First attempt at IVF we got 7 eggs and none fertilised - was shocked to say the least as was not at all prepared for this and no-one seemed to have any answers.  We were advised not to bother trying with IVF again but to have ICSI.  This time they retrieved 14 eggs (on lower doses of medication??) 10 were mature and all 10 fertilised then 7 were viable to transfer.  We transferred 2 and have 5 frozen.  Sadly I miscarried at 15 weeks but that was a separate issue and am hopefully having FET this month.

I just wanted to let you know that it can work and I would say you might as well go for ICSI rather than trying IVF again and it possibly not working - but that is just my opinion and you should talk to your clinic.

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Lou
X

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Lou
thanks for your reply - it is encouraging.  I think one of the hardest things at the mo is being in limbo and just not knowing.  Good luck for the feT

·
Registered
108 Posts
HI

Our first attempt was IVF and we got a good crop, and lots fertilised - this one resulted ina  chemical pregnancy.  Our 2nd go I got 11 eggs and none fertilised with no reason so we were advised to go ICSI next time which we did, I got 12 eggs, 7 fertilised and had 2 put back (sadly none good enough to freeze) and this one resulted in Josh !!

So it shouldn't be the end of the road - good luck  ::)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi KMC

it isnt the end of hte road - the obvious step is ICSI.  The same thing happened to us on our first IVF - 12 eggs but no ferilitisation.  We were devastated as they could not really provide an explaination.  ICSI has been the answer for us and we now have a baby girl.

hang on in there and good luck

Love Helena

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.