Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am just new to the board. My dh (from NI) and I (from Australia) live in County Down but have been on "holidays" translated to going through an IVF cycle in Australia since April 2004. We had great success and conceived but unfortunately I had a missed miscarriage on August 10 at 8 wks and 4 days.

So now we are back to considering the future and looking at cycling in NI. Basically I think there are 2 options Origin and RVH. Is either on the NHS or are they both private? Are the waiting lists extraordinary? In Australia we used Puregon, Synarol and Conine (??) gel. Does anyone know what drugs are used at origin and RVH?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I don't really have anyone else to ask in NI and feel very nervous esp with the result of the first cycle out in Australia where I had all my family and friends around me.

I am back to County Down on Saturday I hope if the flights come through so will be a little bit more in your time zone.

Hello to everyone
Megan

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Hi Megan,

Welcome to Fertility Friends :)

Lilly on here lives in Northern Ireland - and I know she will be happy to talk about any NI IVF experiences shes had :)

The drugs you mentioned are also used here in the UK :) Although we dont often uses Gels - they are available.

Good luck with everything and hope you have a safe flight home!

We are here for any questions at all! so dont be afraid to bombard us ;)

Tony,
x

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hi Megan

Welcome to ff hun rvh is where im going to for treatment  and yes they do NHS i had two NHS cycles which is wonderful i have just started my cycle of ivf sniffing at the minute synarel and then puregon injections and then pessaries if i can help in any way hun please feel free to ask goodluck with your flight

love always lilly xx

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Megan

I am also attending RVH for IVF.  I have just completed my first attempt (NHS) but unfortunately it was unsuccessful.  Better luck in next attempt.

I used synarel and then puregon injections through my treatment.

Origin is a private clinic.  They have a website which will give you prices of treatment etc.  www.originfertilitycare.com.  Might help you a bit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  I would be more than pleased to help.

Good luck with your treatment and I hope you receive the positive result you are after!!!

Kathy x x x

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there guys

Thanks so much for your replies. It is amazing how knowing there is someone else out there makes the future seem all a little easier. ;D.

Lilly if you don't mind me asking how long did you have to wait between cycles. I think I have to wait until the end of October if my body returns to it's normal routine. Am terribly frightened about it all the second time round but you guys have really helped.

Does RVH do private as well or do I have to join a waiting list. I just registered at Bangor health centre so I can at least get a GP referral. And my clinicians out here in Oz have provided a wealth of frightening medical jargon.

Still no word on my flights but hoping to be there on Friday...and will bring some aussie sunshine ;)

Love
Megan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops also forgot to say my condolences to Kathy but we may be doing our second and lucky cycles together. Lilly enjoy the sniffing if that is at all possible  :eek:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just wanted to say hello and good luck.  I'm from australia too and also called megan.  I live in london.  hopefully 2nd time lucky for me.  my first try was abandoned today.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hi Megan

With  my last cycle at the royal i got pg but sadly m/c at 8 weeks i find the royal to be very good and the nurses and doctors are wonderful if you go private i dont think you have to wait long i didnt lucky enough there was no waiting list as i have already had my 2 nhs goes and am private from here on in the nhs waiting list is alittle time to wait but not to long i dont think if you call the royal they will tell you how long the list is hun and as for waiting they like you to have 2 af before starting again to give your body time as i said before any questions hun i will be more than will to help with goodluck and safe flight home
love always lilly xxx

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hi Katiegray

so sorry to hear of your neg (((((hugs)))) what doctor do you see at the royal im dr williamson she is wonderful hope you dont mind me asking hope to chat soon

love always lilly xx

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Megan,
I am waiting for treatment at the RVH and received a letter in August telling me there was a five month waiting list.  I was referred to Origin in June and have yet to receive an appointment for an initial meeting.  However as you have had treatment before, you may go further up the waiting list.
Good luck with your treatment.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hi Leah

welcome to ff im also at royal i hope you get appointment soon hun goodluck

love always lilly xxx

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Lilly and good luck to you!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there everyone

Well back in NI. IT took 25.5 hours airport to Airport so I thought that was pretty good. I am delighted to be here and feeling the best I ahve after my mc in August.

Another piece of good news is that I have got an appointment with Dr Ralph Roberts at origin on Wednesday.

Hi Megan 35 nice to meet you. I lived in London for 3 years from 2000. Just loved it but find Northern Ireland a bit friendlier although mostly I have to listen very carefully to understand what people are saying esp on the phone. Am yet to meet another Aussie over here but the football coach at my nephews school is a Kiwi although I haven't met him yet either. Also small world because the IVF doctor I am seeing over here is married to an Sydney girl. How long do you have to wait to start again?

Also a hi to chick66.

Leah do you have your appointment at Origin yet? I got in early because of it is classiied as a followup consultation sicne my first cycle was a success but I miscarried

Kathy are you going to go for another cycle. When are you expecting to start.

Lilly how is the cycle going?

Glad to be in the northern hemisphere and away from stepchildren and all the reminders that make life hard. Unfortunately I did bring the weekend weather but got some sun today.

Cheers
Megan

Megan

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hi Megan

Welcome home hun wonderful to hear you are here safe and sound great news about your appointment with origin on Wednesday. I hope you get started again soon hun i am sniffing and will start injections 22 cant wait please keep me posted how things go on wednesday hun goodluck

love always lilly xx

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry folks another question

In Australia we have the Egg tranfer under a general anaesthetic but Origin told me today they do it under sedation. What does RVH do? Does anyone know what the standard protocol UK wide is?

Cheers
Megan

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Megan,
I'm totally new to this site having just joined like 2 mins ago, i'm hoping i can help you.

Im on my 2nd cycle of icsi having failed at the 1st attempt.

I'm currently a patient at the RVH in belfast under the instruction  of Dr Traub.
In the royal egg collection is done with pethidine and gas and air, altho they informed me after the fact that i could have had it done under general anaesthetic, so ask if you are worried.

I'm on the day before my preg test having had 2 b class et put back in on the 2/09/04, kinda nervous of the outcome after waiting 12 years for this.

If any of you have any wise words of wisdom I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just wanna say hi to everyone and good luck to all of you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear Wannabe mummie

Well what an exciting/nerve racking/distressing/marvellous day for you. My wise words are very few I am afraid. I can say if it is positive then you have a whole new world of worries ahead of you and if it is negative fall into your dh's arms and know he loves you. Cry for a day or two and start to plan again. You have done it before and know you can do it again.

Lot so fhugs and baby wishes coming your way.
Megan

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hi Wannabe mummie

Welcome to ff hun  i am also at the royal under Dr Williamson but have also had Dr Traub he is lovely  i just wanted to wish you all the best for your 2ww all crossed for you please keep us posted

love lilly xx

1 - 20 of 35 Posts