Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wanted to ask a question about the number of embies to put back in with an IVF cycle. The doctor has said one but the more I think and read about it, the more I think I would have a better chance with 2. I know there is a higher risk of multiple birth but what I am confused about is does this mean there is a possiblility of having triplets or even four?

Thanks

DebbieA

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Debbie

I am not a nurse but when I discussed this with my clincian he said yes the is a remote chance of quadruplets. At a 2/3 day transfer you would have the same chance as everyone esle of your eggs splitting however, there is some evidence of an increase in the incidence of monozygotal twins at blastocyst transfer stage. It is all pretty rare though but it can happen. In australia the rule is 1 emby for under 35's and 2 for over 35s.

HTH
Megan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi Debbie

You might be interested in the following recent research on transferring only one embryo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3851313.stm

Interestingly following on from AussieMeg, My SIL is has undergone three IVF cycles in Sydney and has had two embies put back each time and she's only 30 (their problem is MF).

Good luck with your treatment.

flipper

1 - 3 of 3 Posts