Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just looking for some advice on the best way to do things.  I had my first IVF in June last year.  It worked but was ectopic.  A few months later I was quite ill with what has now turned out to be gallstones.  We finally made the decision to have another IVF later this month and have made the appts for blood tests etc, (although haven't started with any drugs yet) and then yesterday I was received a letter from the NHS saying they can do my operation to remove my gallbladder on 7 July, as I was only put on waiting list a few weeks ago I was shocked at it coming up so soon!  At present I'm not suffering any acute pain from the gallstones and am in a dilema as which one to postpone!  I have waited so long to have another go at IVF, should I carry on anyway and reschedule gallbladder op or should I just have the op and then go for IVF again when I have recovered?  I was wondering whether there are any medical implications in doing one or other first?  Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

Lisa
x

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hi Lisa

I can't help you by answering which is best to do first medically but I can let you know about my experience.

I suffered really really badly with my gall bladder (gall stones) when I was pregnant.  I had suffered somewhat before I got pregnant but was always advised it was indigestion ... infact I must have been about 25 weeks pregnant before the docs eventually scanned my gall bladder and diagnosed stones.

Obviously by this time, as I was pregnant, it was inadvisable to have the gall bladder op.  Although it is possible - it's just more difficult because the surgeons don't have much room to move around in there! LOL!

Anyway, I was in agony for the whole of my pregnancy with the gall stones ... regardless of what I ate.  I don't think I had a full nights sleep throughout my pregnancy and many nights were spent upright in an armchairm, cat-napping if possible.

I eventually had my gall bladder removed (key hole surgery) when Freddie was about 11 weeks old.  I stayed in hospital one night ... was in a fair bit pain (but had loads of painkillers) for about another week ... struggled with lifting things (including my wee boy) for about 10 days after the op ... but I now feel fantastic!!!!  And can eat and drink everything and anything!!!!!!!!!!!

So from my personal experience, I would recommend having your gall bladder op first ... you'd probably only have to delay your IVF for a month?  I wouldn't wish for your future pregnancy to be "spoilt" by the gall bladder pain like mine was.

Hope this helps and good luck
Love
Dee
xxx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Dee

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.  My husband is worried that if my IVF is successful I could end up having the problems that you describe and he is keen for me to put it on hold whilst I get the gallstones sorted out.  I am just so desparate to have another IVF that I'm forgetting the excruciating pain I suffered as a result of the gallstones!  I think that you are right, it is probably best to get the gallbladder done then approach IVF being more healthier!  I probably need to ask the consultant how long after gallbladder ops can IVF be safely carried out.

Thank you once again for the information, it has really helped.

Lisa
xx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hi Lisa

Pleased you have come to what I believe is the right decision.

Our desperation drives us ... but just think about how enjoying every minute of being pg will be so great if the gal bladder has gone!
OOOOpppssssssssssss ............ Apart from all the other wonderful pg symtoms you get! LOL!

I hope you get everything sorted and then have a wonderful, happy healthy pregnacy.

Love
Dee
xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.