Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am sterilised and trying to work out the best way - IVF or reversal.  The success rates seem higher for reversal (up to 80%) against 10% for IVF.  I am 42 and periods are regular to the day.  I had IVF last year but abandoned due to poor response to drugs (but I was ill with a virus and had a million and one things going on in my life so not that surprised really).

anyone know of information on reversal?  Is it better to go abroad?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hiya i went for tubal reversal,,, as althou i had multiple adhesions around my bowel and the mesentary,,,, a lap showed that the clips were clearly visable,,, however it seemed a different story when he opened me up,,, he could easily reattach the left tube but not the right,, the opening was too far,,,he said he would have had a go at it if thats all i had to work with but it could have resulted in high incidence of etopic pregnancies,,, but people have messaged me on here and told me their success stories so i dont feel so devistated,, like u time is not really on my side,,, and i think we will still have to consider ivf,,, speak with a gyneacologist and see what they suggest thats wat i did.

hugs and best wishes
karen

·
Registered
850 Posts
We went for IVF as I was told that reversal, whilst it may seem to have been successful immediately post operatively, can easily become blocked again due to scar tissue, was very expensive (might as well spend the money on IVF instead of potentially both ) and had a low baby take home rate. Also, with IVF there's no question about contraceptive after delivery. Age and time also against us as we were both 41 at the time. It also depends upon the position of your clips as to how much tube there is to reattach, but your notes at the time would say that.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts