Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have had my scan and have 50+ follies - and am due for ec wed/thurs but am now really worried about OHSS.  I am drinking 2 litres of water a day as advised but wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the risk of getting OHSS?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Jenni

You are doing the right thing by drinking 2 litres of fluid. I presume they will freeze all embryos and not do et? If they do that you will get really bloated an dcould be uncomfortable for about a week.
I have just gone through this and it was hell. My problem was that they did et and then i became pregnant with twins and my symptoms were awful. I spent 16 days in hospital on a drip, I had to drains put into my tummy and 11 litres of fluid drained. It is 6 weeks now since my ec and i am only now starting to recover. My ohss has lasted so long because of the pregnancy hormones.
Try not to worry you won't get as bad as me as long as they freeze!!!!!!! Keep drinking and just take it easy.
Love
Fiona

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They haven't mentioned freezing at all & presume they mean to go ahead with et as long as everything looks OK.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Jenni
50 follies is incredible, I'm not surprised they're worried about ohss.  As well as drinking at least 2 litres water a day, make sure you pee at least every two hours and eat lots of protein - eggs meat fish cheese, etc.  I had it mildly and the protein really helps.  Keep weighing yourself. If you put on weight really quickly then it's a sign you're filling up with fluid and you should get to hospital quick if you start to feel breathless and or sick. 

My clinic's guide notes says if you get ohss they can either delay egg collection or freeze all your embryos.  This would be to give you time to get over the ohss before they do ET.

Good luck hun,  hopefully it won't come to that.

Claire xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi jenni

I am out of hospital now from ohss I was in there for 4 weeks.
I hope you get better very soon.
It is a rough ride and I am still recovering after 7 weeks.
My legs and feet have gone down but I am still waiting for the stomach to decrease, my husband measures it everyday and monitors my weight.
Have the doctors given you an estimated duration, nobody seems to be able to tell me !!

Thanks

Raynor

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Raynor

You poor thing! I thought I was bad with my severe OHSS. Where were you in hosp if you don't mind me asking? It is just that my consultant had phoned a friend to discuss  me and he had a patient who was also in hosp with same symptoms. I think she said in Leeds. Did you need to get fluid drained too?
I guess we must have been in at the same time although iwas only in 2 and a half weeks.
I am glad you are starting to feel a little better-me too. It is a long process though!!! I think i will be off work for a good few weeks yet.

Best wishes
Fiona

1 - 6 of 6 Posts