Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Just a quick question on whether anyone can explain the difference between a long and short protocal for IVF. 

Background !
I have previously done IVF twice (first m/c 2nd with a DS  :)) Since then I have tried IUI twice but didnt respond at all to the medication (suprafac and Puregon) last month had routine blood tests with the outcome being advised to try IVF short protocal.  :-\

Just wondering if anyone can advise on how different this is to the long protocal.

Thanks !

·
Registered
7,783 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Hi Mrs Doubtfire

This question is coming up alot right now. There is a section on our main page where Long and Short protocols are explained in some detail. Here's the link to it ;)

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/content/view/106/3/

I have done 2 short protocol cycles and much prefer them. You don't down regulate so none of the nasty symptoms which has to be a bonus. You are usually ready for egg collection in around 12 days and so the cycle is much shorter.

Clinics use long protocol as by getting your body down regulated they can coast you until they are ready to start you stimulating and do an egg collection. On my 2nd cycle I down regulated for 42 days as I had to wait for my consultant to come back form a conference and annual leave :-\ If they used short protocol for everybody they wouldn't be able to control things as easily and may end up with 20 egg collections on one day.

Good luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Rachel x

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Both

Thanks for the information I shall have a little look at the threads you mentioned.  Although I am feeling a little more positive about the SP now  :)

Thanks to you both !  ^hugme^

X

1 - 4 of 4 Posts