Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I've just poped over from the IVF board and I would just like some positive stories about IVF just to see that it does work and it's all worth it.

So if you've fallen pregnant with IVF and don't mind sharing your story.  
How many attempts did it take?

Thanks and Congratulations.  :)
Cal

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Cal

I've fallen pg with my first ivf and am 17 weeks with twinnies!

Needless to say I think I am still in shock!

Previous to ivf I had one natural pg which ended in m/c at 8 weeks.  I then went on to iui and had 10 attempts, falling pg on my 4th attempt but sadly m/c again at 6 weeks.

So you can imagine our excitement at getting a BFP on the first go at ivf and then to find out at the first scan that we were having double trouble!

Needless to say after having 2 m/c we have worried every step of the way with this pg that something may go wrong again and we are looking forward to our 20 week detailed anomaly scan after which I think we can chill a bit and actually believe that come March time we will have two bubbs to look after!

Take care

Love

Karen xxx

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Hi Cal

You only need to read some of the info bits on anyone in any of the tri boards to see that IVF can be really successful - even after a number of attempts. Also I think that there is a poll on the voting thread about IVF success and how many attempts it took that might be interesting for you to look at.

We were really lucky cos I fell pregnant with our first attempt!

Best of luck with your journey towards pregnancy and becoming a family.

Poll
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Cal

We've actually had ICSI but that's just IVF plus a bit, isn't it?....

We had three full cycles all with bfn and were about to give up for a life of childless sanity and certainty, without all the mad hormones and drugs.  But then the clinic we were at changed its freezing policy.  Previously they would only freeze embryos that would grow to day 5 as a blastocyst, and none of ours did (I think we had two or three spare embryos from each cycle).  But for the last cycle they started freezing at day 2.  So... we had our two spare embryos frozen, had a cycle of FET and I'm now 12 weeks pregnant!

So yes, it can work.  You may be lucky and be successful next go, or it may take longer.  Keep trying as long as you want to and as long as your body and sanity hold out, but if at some point you decide enough's enough then it's OK to stop.  After all we all react differently and the 'treatment' is traumatic for some people and relatively OK for others.

Very best of luck for you - stay positive, take care of yourself, eat healthily and give yourself plenty of chilling time and treats!!

Sandy

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi Cal,

It can work.

Like Sandy I had ICSI which is basically IVF with poorer quality sperm. I responded pretty well physically to the cycle although it was very hard mentally. We were lucky enough to be successful with our first attempt. I really feel its worth pursuing and if it hadn't worked would have wanted to carry on until we were.

Best of luck I hope your dreams of a family come true.

lol

Edna

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Cal, don't give up hope, I thought I would never be pregnant.  I had six cycles of IUI over the course of two years then my first cycle of IVF was unsuccessful, three months later, we tried again using ICSI due to poor fertilisation rate the first cycle of IVF and it worked this time, I am now expecting twins very soon.  I still have to pinch myself sometimes.  We were unexplained infertility, I don't know what problems, if any, you have with your fertility but I would just say, when you least expect it, it will work.  On my two week wait of the second cycle of IVF, I was convinced it hadn't worked and was in tears a week into the wait, then a week later I was told the test was positive, I thought I knew my body so well.  Good Luck and try and keep positive. 
Brig xx

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi Cal, we had IVF and it worked first time. I still can hardly believe how lucky we were and worried myself sick all the way through my pregnancy but everything was fine and we had a healthy little boy who is worth everything we went through. Wishing you lots of luck.  ^fairydust^

Viv xx

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Cal,

I had ICSI and was so lucky to fall pregnant after the first attempt.

Stay strong and just take each day as it comes and hopefully you too will get your dream.

Lots of luck.

Val x

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi cal
yes its true-it does work.
after our 1st attempt of ivf with icsi, we are now 5 weeks+2 pregnant!!
it wasn't all plain sailing though as i developed ohss after over-responding to the drugs and had to pospone for 6 weeks to then have a fet. we have still got 9 embies in storage, and i know that if it hadn't worked for us 1st time we would definately keep trying. i do hope you remain positive throughout, hard i know, but there are a lot of success stories out there.
take care
jen xxxx

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Cal,

I can also vouch for the 'don't give up hope school'.  We went through 4 cycles of ICSI plus 1 FET and were successful on our last fresh ICSI cycle.  I posted our story below on the ICSI thread a while ago.  I am now 19 weeks pregnant and so far going well.  Wishing you all the best of luck - it is a difficult journey, but worth it.

Peta

My DH and I went through 3 ICSI cycles and 1 FET with Queen Mary's at Roehampton and with embryo transfer at the Bridge Centre.  Each cycle went well, with 4 eggs - 2 fertilised, 9 eggs - 4 fertilised and 11 eggs - 6 fertilised respectively.  However, none of them ever resulted in a positive.  After giving ourselves some time to reflect, recover and think about our options, we looked at different clinics and decided to give the Lister hospital a go - it was also recommended to me by a colleague who had had success there.  I also found that even going back to the same hospital each time made me upset as it was associated with so many failures.  Our consultant at Queen Mary's had not given us much hope as she said that chances of conceiving after 3 failed attempts reduced dramatically, but she did advise us that it would be worth giving it one more go, as there was no obvious reason for the failures.

From the start I felt much more positive about the process, had decided to wait until the spring, when psychologically I think the weather helps, also managed to reduce my workload a little at work, so felt a bit less under pressure there - I did that without mentioning the IVF to my boss.

I was put on a higher dose of a different drug Puregon 300iu, which resulted in 21 eggs, of which 18 fertilised by ICSI.  Because of the large number of fertilised eggs, the clinic had suggested that they might wait until day 5 to do the embryo transfer, however in the end 2 embryos stood out as being 8 cell grade 2 (previously my embryos had gone back as between 2 - 4 cells) by day 3 and so these were put back.  On the day they advised us to have assisted hatching, as they felt this also might improve chances of embryos attaching. 

We also were advised to leave the other embryos to continue to develop in 'Blastocyst' culture for another couple of days, so that the 'best of the rest' could be chosen for freezing.  This resulted in us having 8 blastocyst embryos preserved.

Through the 2ww I continued to feel quite positive, although of course anxious as only those who have been through it know.  The only difference I felt was I did not get a 'dip' in my feelings a day before due to test as I had with other attempts, when I just had a feeling that it had failed, and my (.) (.) continued to feel quite full and not flacid as they would go previously.

Dreaded doing the hpt only to have to face another knock back, and could just not believe the +ve result when it came.  Did 3 more tests over next few days before believed it.

Have now had scans at 7 wks which showed heart beat and 1 sac, and today at 9w 2d which showed baby developing as it should at 2.5 cm!

As you can imagine, it is slowly starting to feel real, and we are beginning to relax and believe it will happen.

I hope our story will help anyone else out there who has gone through a number of BFN's to give some hope that it can still happen after 3 goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.