Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies

New FF..been TTC for 2 years with the last 6 months undergoing the various fertility tests.

Was told last week that DH and I have low chances of conceiving  :'( Blimey, what a blow, still can't quite believe it.  On the up side we are prefect candidates for IVF.  Our consultant, Dr. Bidgood is applying for funding.

Been trying to research IVF on the internet, but the information is not as good but not local. Also it is not the same as getting the information from people who have been or are going through it. 
From reading on here, do we Taunton i.e. Musgrove patients go to Bristol for treatment?  What does it entail? Does anyone know what the waiting lists are like?  How many goes do we get?  Sorry for all the questions!!  Mind is boggling...

Can anyone shed some light?

xx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kimbers101 said:
Hello ladies

New FF..been TTC for 2 years with the last 6 months undergoing the various fertility tests.

Was told last week that DH and I have low chances of conceiving :'( Blimey, what a blow, still can't quite believe it. On the up side we are prefect candidates for IVF. Our consultant, Dr. Bidgood is applying for funding.

Been trying to research IVF on the internet, but the information is not as good but not local. Also it is not the same as getting the information from people who have been or are going through it.
From reading on here, do we Taunton i.e. Musgrove patients go to Bristol for treatment? What does it entail? Does anyone know what the waiting lists are like? How many goes do we get? Sorry for all the questions!! Mind is boggling...

Can anyone shed some light?

xx
Hi Kimbers, your treatment would be done in Bristol.

You'll have quite a few trips to make but it does get easier the more you are travelling up.

Once funding is approved things happen quite quick.

You will get funding for two cycles through Somerset and also we are lucky enough that Somerset also funds freezing.

We have just completed our first cycle of treatment and will be doing a 2nd this year.

best of luck to you both.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Kimbers!

I have been referred to Bristol through Mr Bidgood. Somerset PCT allow two funded treatments. You can go to Exeter but Bristol is in the top three in the country. They are brilliant in Bristol. My husband and I had our first appointment there in November. First for husband to do his sample. Second to meet our consultant and do our paperwork ( around a hour and a half to complete ) and i had an internal ultrasound scan. Third appointment to meet named nurse on the 16th Dec and we were told we could start our first treatment during that cycle (period)
I started my northesterone tablets on New years eve and have started my nasal sprays today. All OK but have a stinking cold so not sure if I feel a little rough with that or the tablets!?
                So as you can see the waiting list is really not long at all. I wish you all the luck in the world. If you want to ask me anything else please do. I'm really new to this so it's always nice to have someone to chat to. Im from Taunton too!

Take care sweet xx

Becks ^hugme^

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!  :) Its much appeciated.

Becks, i hope you are feeling better today and wish you lots of luck for your treatment ^reiki^. We are still in a bit of a daze!  We were meant to have seen Bidgood on the 23rd Dec, but due to the ice and a traffic accident, we ended up missing the appointment.  Instead he rang later on in the day to tell us our results and that IVF was the way to go for us.  Didn't really get much information over the phone, grateful to him for ringing though, but you always think of the questions after you put the phone down!!  He wants to see us again in Jan, when hopefully he would have got our funding.  By the sounds of it, it shouldn't be very long before we start treatment ourselves.

How long do you take the nasal spray?

Deffo up for a chat, it's great to talk to ppl who are going through similar.  xxx

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Kimbers!

No probs for the reply..... I really struggled to find someone to talk to as I didn't know anyone going through this.

The only piece of advice I will give you is keep going with keeping in contact with MR Bidgood. When we saw him he said we would get our funding and he said we would hear within eight weeks and we would be on the road to getting to Bristol. Anyway, we never heard anything and then we were in France on holiday and I was getting more and more anxious. I contacted his secretary and she gave us the info that they had misplaced some of our paperwork and hadn't sorted our funding!!! I was in pieces as you can imagine! She isn't the most helpful but just keep on to them if you have any problems.
I work at the hospital and am grateful that I do..... I'm sure alot more ladies would just wait to hear from them. The paperwork was sorted within the week and MR Bidgood sent off a really nice letter to Bristol to say there had been some delay and would they be able to sort out an earlier appointment for us so we wouldn't be delayed too much longer.
So, here we are now less than three months from our first appointment and we are already on our drugs ready for a hopeful egg collection early Feb! The sniffers go on until I'm told to stop but at the moment I have enough for three weeks.
Hope this is of help to you....fingers crossed for a wonderful 2011  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi ladies,

I have just found this site!  I am also having treatment at Bristol and went through Mr Bidgood.  Strangely enough, he mislaid some of my paperwork too, so it all took longer than it should have.  Anyway, we got there in the end and I started the drugs on 3rd Jan, then sniffing 2 days later.  Had my blood test on 18th, so hoping to not hear anything from Bristol so I can start my injections next week.

Anyone else having treatment at the same time?

x

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Sarah,

I had my bloods done on Monday at Bristol and started injecting last night. It really does NOT hurt! Maybe I have plenty of flab!? I wish youu plenty of luck on your journey. Keep me informed on how you get on.
I'm here if you need to ask anything or just want to chat or buddy up.
Let's hope you don't hear from them!

Mush love and luck for your treatment

Becks x  ^hugme^  ^reiki^

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Becks,

Thanks for letting me know it doesn't hurt - makes me feel better!  When is your scan?  I have mine on 2nd Feb.  Not heard anything from BCRM, so assume everything is all ok.
How you feeling on your injections, any different?

Have a great weekend

x

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Sarah,

My scan is on Wednesday! I can't wait..... very excited as I was told I could possibily have my EC as early as Friday! The injections are fine. I was expecting to feel hideous but I don't. I have read about bloating and being tearful but I can honestly say these last few days are the best I've felt.
Best of luck for the 2nd..... not long now!  ^reiki^

Becks x  ;D

·
Registered
277 Posts
ooohh how exciting ....I've been looking on here for ages (been TTC for 8 years), and the Somerset forum has been very quiet, but now it seems there's a lot of us at similar stage ....

Hope you don't mind me butting in, as I'm not from Taunton (actually Yeovil) but I do pass by on my way to Bristol ....can I chat with you ? very few people in real life to talk to about this stuff!

Hope the scan goes OK Becks, mine is booked for 4th (2 days after Sarah)- I've been snorting for a couple of weeks and start the injections on Friday (bit scared!) I am a total wreck on the nasal spray ....splitting headaches despite drinking my body weight in water, constant dull cramping and an emotional rollercoaster.....been told it will calm down when I start jabbing fx

Best of luck to us all! ^reiki^

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome to FF Cedrickerry!

Of course you can join us. It's always easier when you have someone to talk to. We are all here if you need a chat or have questions.

This is my very first IVF treatment. I found the tablets I had to take for a week and the sprays the worse bit... cramps and tearful until AF arrived. Since injecting I have felt fine. I have been doubting myself about wether it is working or not after reading so many stories of bloating and tearfulness. Maybe I one of the few lucky ones?!

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Please feel free to PM if you need any help x

Becks  ^hugme^

·
Registered
358 Posts
Morning all,

Hi Cedrickerry, welcome!  Good to have a more people join.  I'm not from Taunton either, actually fom Exmoor, but close enough!

It's also my 1st tx, and I'm having ICSI.  Looks like we are very close in the timings, you're just 2 days after me, so let me know if you have any questions.  I'll let you know how I get on with the injections on Wednesday.

I seem to have been quite lucky with the drug not affecting me too much.  This weekend was the only time really as I had a headache pretty much for the whole of it.  Still not convinced it's the drugs though as I think I may have been fighting something off.

Becky, good luck with the scan, let us know how it goes.  Wow, Friday would be amazing, does it make it all seem a bit more real now it could be that close.  fingers crossed for you x

x

·
Registered
136 Posts
It really does Sarah. Though I have been having doubts in my mind that maybe the drugs aren't working!?
I have had no side affects at all from the injections. I really thought that I would feel bloated and tearful but.....NOTHING!
Not that I want to feel rotten but after reading other womens experiences I seem to be having a completly different one.
I know I shouldn't worry too much. Let's just hope that Wednesday goes well.
Fingers crossed x

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm feeling excited for everyone starting to have EC, means things are starting to happen.  Means mine must be getting closer as well.
No side affects is a good thing!  I haven't had any from the sniffing, which lots of people have had.  Unless this headache is part of it, but I am still convinced it's something else I am fighting off.
Hoping you have lots of follicles and they are all growing nicely

x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Evening ladies
Can I please join you gang? I am not from Somerset Im in dorset(Bridport).
I think I recognise some of your names from another thread?
Cut a long story short I am having Icsi tx started dr on 6 jan next scan next tues
Then start stimming with hopefully ec 14 feb!!
Good luck with injections ec/ et
Emma

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Emma, of course you can join!  I recognise you from the jan/feb starters too!  EC 14th Feb - that should be a lucky day!!

I have my scan next Wednesday, after starting stimming tomorrow.

I am still feeling pretty rubbish with a headache and now feeling sick, think my body is telling me it has had enough of sniffing these drugs, cos my head certainly has!

Hope everyone has a good day

x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi sarah
Thanks for the welcome yes i also look on the snowdrops thread.
You seem to be about a week in front of me i start stimming next weds after scan next tues.
Sorry you are having headaches while sniffing i aslo had them when i was sniffing last time so we decided to inject this time and feel alot better dont know what will happen when i start stimming though!
emma

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi ladies

Would you mind if I join you? I am in Taunton. I am on snowdrop thread but cant keep up although I do read through  ;D Glad this thead is taking off.

I am having treatment @ Bristol and hoping for ec on friday or possibly monday, having 2nd scan tomorrow (day 13) so will find out then - I am pretty bloated now  :eek: I feel (and look) huge  ::)

I must say I was a nightmare on the sniffers alone - teary and so down but as soon as started stimms it was a different me - sorted me out (DH was glad) as I was a little ^idiot^

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Good luck with your scan tomorrow BeckyCools  ;D not far to go now - yey!

^reiki^  ^reiki^  ^reiki^ vibes to everyone -  ^pray^ for BFP's all round  ;D

Sqwelch x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Ladies
sqwelch welcome to the thread although i only joined yesterday!!
im having tx with mr dooley at the poundbury clinic dorcherster and its very good.
good luck with scan 2morrow you should know then how many follies you have.
keep in touch
emma

·
Registered
358 Posts
Morning all,

Welcome Sqwelch - know what you mean about not being able to keep up with the snowdrops! Good luck with your scan today http://static.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/reiki1.gif

BeckyCools - Good luck with your scan today too http://static.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/reiki1.gif

My injections start tonight, so going to watch the DVD at lunch time, check I understand what I am doing, then think I will try my injection at 5pm. I am out between 5.15-7pm on Wed nights, so bit worried I haven't given myself much time, but I want to do it as early as poss, otherwise I will be thnking about it most of the evenings!

Cedrickerry - How you feeling today? I am definately better than yesterday, was quite emotional yesterday, and the headache has dulled down now. Hope you are feeling better http://static.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif

x

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.