1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is absolutely sickening.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1220338.ece

*added at 12:30pm

Just in, an NHS press release...... (courtesy of the HFEA - Thanks Alan)

STATEMENT FROM THE NHS IN THE WEST MIDLANDS
Thursday, 29 May 2008
For immediate release: 29 May 2008
Ref: 08052901

Twin girls were born at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton earlier this month by emergency caesarean section.

Shortly after birth, the babies were transferred to a unit in Birmingham closer to where their parents live.

The parents are visiting their daughters whilst they are being cared for in hospital and are attentive to their needs.

For patient confidentiality reasons, the identity of the family and the babies are not being disclosed. The identity of the hospital is also not being disclosed.

We are not aware of a referral to social services.

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is so wrong on more than one count. And to top it all - The father is 72???

The more I think about this, the more I feel the twins would be better of without their biological parents.

BUT... I do think that the couple should be forced to pay for all the NHS costs involved in bringing the little darlings into the world and not only that - but they should be forced to pay for the social services/adoption costs (40k per year?).

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It has made me feel ill reading about this .....words just fail me , they have even asked the staff at the hospital when will the 'mother' will be fit enought to go back to India to try IVF again !!!!!!....i had my twins at the same hospital (New Cross Wolverhampton...who im my opinion are great)....as you have said Tony ... i feel these two precious little girls will be so much better off without their birth parents ....i wish them all the love & luck in the world.....

Hope X

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This is just terrible, but do you know what, those wee girls will go to a family that want them, and who will love them deaply, and god will work in mysterious ways and those people will not get anymore  ^pray^ ^pray^.
I hope that some lovely family gets them soon, as it can be a long time before adotion happens,
My friend adopted we twin girls last june they were 18 months when they got them and had been given up at 3 weeks old but took all that time to go through the process
K XXX

·
Registered
349 Posts
This story has upset and angered me, I cant believe that they were blessed with twin girls yet chose to abandon them, after everything we all go through while having ivf I am sure most of us would welcome the prospect with open arms, I wonder if these people have experienced the heartbreak of multiple failures.
I agree that they are probably better off without their parents and will go to a home where they are cherished.
sanya

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Words fail me.

I hope someone is lucky enough to give them a loving home quickly.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This story isn't so much about IVF, as about cultural differences. Unfortunately most will think it is.  And that will cause trouble for those going through treatment, and those who seek help abroad.

"The Great British Public" will demand more regulation, when in fact less regulation would have meant that the couple had had treatment in the UK, and so would be more traceable.

IMO this terrible mess is caused not just by over regulation, but by the wrong sort of regulations.  A few years ago, a couple in the US, rejected their twins born via a surrogate.  They only wanted a singleton.  But the laws in California, meant that the situation was resolved with the all the authorities involved.  But the cry is “we don’t those dreadful American laws”  Why on earth not?  In California, the intended parents were held to account, the twins were properly looked after, and everybody knew, who was involved, what was going on, etc.

IMO, California has an awful lot of law, dealing with infertility, but is based on what does or doesn’t work.  The UK laws, IMO, are based on prejudice.  And the fact that the HFEA’s is legally responsible for making rules.  So what do you think it does?

The UK does not need more rules made as a knee jerk reaction.  What we need, is much better quality laws.   Laws that allow us more freedom.  We need laws that include, an American style conflict resolution system, so when problems occur, there are ways of dealing it.

I know I may offend people, but I am reacting as “Ok a plane has crashed, everyone has died.  Now what can we learn so this never, ever happens again.”  I want to make sure that this doesn’t happen again.

The other thing that upsets me is that this is actually in the press.  In California, their attitude is that on such matters, the press should keep quiet.  These twins will grow up, and then they will be able to read the stories that are currently being printed in the press.  They maybe hurt by the press coverage of what happened at their birth, and in the weeks after.  Yes this terrible thing happened.  No one can change that.  But is it better that a parent/social worker/counsellor sits down with them, in private, and explains what happened, or should they be exposed to the press stories.  In California, they think that the former is better.  In the UK, we seem to go for the latter.

Lorna

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Tony I couldnt agree more with you over costs.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm so upset and angry about this story. My heart goes out to the little girls and i really hope that they are given a loving family very soon  :'(.

This couple should not be allowed any further treatment ^bigbad^.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I was  :'( watching this story on the news this morning, preparing my Buserelin injection, and thinking how lucky we would be to have one baby girl, let alone two x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Absolutely shocking !  This has made me so sad and so angry.....for many many reasons.  As Sally says "words fail me" :'(

Tony....I completely agree with everything you've said regards costs etc.

N xx

·
Registered
307 Posts
This story made me cry as I lost my twin girls at 23 weeks. How can this be allowed to happen? It is sickening. I am unable to do any more IVF, but have been passed at panel ready for adoption. Unfortunately there is a lack of Asian adopters so my fear is that these beautiful twins will wait longer for a family. What would have happened if the twins had been a boy and a girl? Would they have abandoned just the one? How would the girl have felt growing up knowing that her parents abandoned her and not her brother? I hope they aren't blessed with more children, but I'm afraid there is often no justice and they probably will do it again very easily.
:'( :'( :'(

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
How terribly sad and sickening that this couple can discard these precious babies like unwanted gifts :(
The gift of life is one we all aspire to create, and to read this has made my blood boil! :mad:
My biggest fear is the negative impact this will no doubt generate towards the public's opinion on IVF/tx generally, as if it isn't difficult enough already :mad:

Sadly this scenario happens too often in countries which demand (dictated by cultural issues) the need to produce "preferred" sex children. In some ways these little girls have been lucky, as in the UK they will not be abandoned in the gutter, or sent to an orphanage, they will be welcomed into a loving, devoted family, who will love them for simply being themselves...2 beautiful, precious little girls.

As for the 72 year old "father" ??? enquiring as to when his wife can return to India for more tx well...words fail me! They are not capable of being parents, they do not deserve to be parents, their cruel, callous actions have illustrated this!
They should not be allowed to have children in my opinion! We treat our animals better than how they have treated these poor babies!

I could say alot more about what I'd personally like to do to them...but won't :-X

Gayn
Xx

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
I hope they get named and shamed. ************** ******************************************************************************************* can't put  what i want to but you can guess.

I have so many nasty thoughts going through my head about them.

Linda

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
loobylou713 said:
I hope they get named and shamed. ************** ******************************************************************************************* can't put what i want to but you can guess.

I have so many nasty thoughts going through my head about them.

Linda
I am the same - I think I would be looking at a FF ban if I was to say what I am really thinking.

You have to be a callous and pathetic person to look at 2 tiny baby girls and then dump them like that.

I will be honest though and say that I don't feel it puts IVF in a bad light but it has put the Indian/Asian culture in a bad light, how pathetic is it to have so much pressure on having a boy in this day and age !!!

T xx

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just in, an NHS press release...... (courtesy of the HFEA - Thanks Alan)

STATEMENT FROM THE NHS IN THE WEST MIDLANDS
Thursday, 29 May 2008
For immediate release:  29 May 2008
Ref:  08052901

Twin girls were born at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton earlier this month by emergency caesarean section.

Shortly after birth, the babies were transferred to a unit in Birmingham closer to where their parents live.

The parents are visiting their daughters whilst they are being cared for in hospital and are attentive to their needs.

For patient confidentiality reasons, the identity of the family and the babies are not being disclosed.  The identity of the hospital is also not being disclosed.

We are not aware of a referral to social services.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
So this is all a load of bull in the papers then? I am confused.....

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Possibly

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
So sad and angry at this  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^ :mad: :'(

Im pregnant with twins and honestly didnt care what they were i cried when i saw this as i could never give my two up no matter what  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

They shouldnt be allowed IVF if thats the way they carry on  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^
Those babies deserve a better life and would be better off with someone who really would want them and love them no matter what sex they were  :-[

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some people would give their right arm to be having one baby let alone two...... and wouldn't give a hoot what sex they were  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The paper couldn't print it if there was totally no truth in it..... time will tell i suppose, but if it is true I hope the parents never have hapiness in their lives again  ^eyes^

1 - 20 of 47 Posts