Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure whether to post this here or on the ARGC board.

I'm 16 weeks pregnant and feeling ok. I had a full blood count at ARGC today and they want me to have yet another NK blood cell test with a view to IVIg next week.

I'm concerned about having it now i'm pregnant especially since i haven't had IVIg since I was just pg.

Has anyone had IVIg at this stage of pregnancy?

Would appreciate your input girls.

Portia x
 
G

·
i had ivig at 15 weeks..there was also another lady in with me who was over twenty weeks....

its your call...have you discussed the pros/con with the clinic..as im sure they wouldnt ask you to have it uneccassary...your treatment is tailored for you that is why the argc are so succesful...

i think you need to discuss this with the Drs at ARGC who can enlighten you..

when your pregnant..your body changes alot..and you nk activity changes too...i just read your post on the argc thread....im sorry to hear that you regard this as wasting money...alot of women would be happy to be in your shoes...

goodluck in your decision
:-*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Barbie doll.

Just to be clear - I don't for one single minute of every day forget how lucky i am. It took me 5 IVF's and more than £25,000 to get to this place and I was hoping to what I have left of my hard earned savings on my (hopefully) pending arrival. I simply said it was expensive, not that it was a waste of money. It definitely isn't that and i'd spend it all again - if I had it - to get to this place.

I'm truly sorry if i expressed myself thoughtlessly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Portia, I'm considering immune tests - but my clinic is very negative. what made you think you needed them and what were the results they were concerned about? (if you don't mind my asking)

re your query, what evidence are they giving you that the ivig is necessary? statistically and fact based? I don't think most drs do things only for the money but i do think they get bees in their bonnets sometimes about their own pet theories. 
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,203 Posts
Portia

I was exactly the same honey  ^hugme^ i had IVIG before e/c and didnt need until 15wks and was so scared i would harm my babies  :-[ but i was assured by Sherif that sometimes IVIG is used for very sick or prem babies  :) i had it done over 3wks ago now and felt fine and babies have been scanned since and there thriving too  :) both the same size and perfect measurements for their gestation  :-*

I would do it again like a shot, it helps the placenta to keep strong as sometimes immunes can trigger prem bith or prom as the nkcells can attack the placenta  ???

Good luck and dont worry your in perfect hands and Mr T would not do anything to risk your pg  :-*
 
G

·
Hi Portia - I can totally understand your concerns even though I am not preggers (yet!)....but just take one step at a time.....have the bloods done and wait to see if you need IVIg - you may not and then you do not have a decision to make. If they do recommend it then sit down with them (ie not over the phone) and ask all the questions you have...good luck!

xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
Hi

I had IVIG  day after ET and again at 8 weeks, they wanted to do it again at 17 weeks , I said no and went for a second opinion at The birth Company  and was told that both babys were fine , i just trusted my body to look after them.

I was told at 17 week I would benifit from a nother IVIG  I did not think That BENIFIT was enough of a medical term and i felt i just could not go through with it again .

You hae to do what is right or you I truly belive with ou the IVIG i would not have my girls safe with me now

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Portia - Did you have IVIg prior to pg? Were your levels really high? The NK levels do change in pregnancy but I would ask the clinic to give you the full scoop on what is normal and what is not good and get them tested and see where you fall and then decide what is best for you. 

My levels went from 13.9% (CD56/16) in December pre-pg and were tested again at 9w and were 17% (albeit a different lab) but my doctor here doesn't believe at all in IVIg (or that NK cells are harmful for that matter). I am on steroids (and heparin) though but I haven't any idea whether or not it has kept them lower than they would have been had I not been taking them or not. As you can see from my ticker I am just going on 16w too and all is looking fine ( ^pray^ had to stick that in there)--

Emmett and Barbiedoll, would you be willing to share your levels as a guideline of when the clinic though IVIg to be necessary? I'd appreciate it and maybe it would help Portia too. Thanks  :)

ciao
mayve


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,203 Posts
Mayve mine went from 8 after having IVIG during stimms to 23  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: i dont have the rest of my results to hand but when i was tested at 4wks,6wks,8wks and 12wks my levels were stable at 8 so didnt need IVIG they just seemed to go mad at 14wks  ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,203 Posts
Plus i had 4 bfns on just steroids and clexane IVIG has really helped me a lot and im VERY grateful to Mr T and his team  :-*
 
G

·
1 2nd what Emma has said...Mr T knows what he is doing and I am externally grateful for my princess...

mayve..maybe you should discuss your issues with your Dr..i cant help you im afraid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Hi Portia

My last IVF cycle (2006), I had IVIg when 12 weeks pregnant (had not had it prior to that). I was concerned about having it when I was pregnant, and asked lots of questions, but was reassured it was fine - and I had a healthy pregnancy and a lovely DD.

Hope that is reassuring. xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Hi Portia, congratulations!

I've had two IVF cycles with the ARGC, the first ended in m/c the second resulted in my ds. I had IVIg before ET with the first cycle then was offered it again when the pregnancy ran into difficulties at that point dh & I decided not to use it. In my second cycle I decided not to have it at all. I'm now (amazingly) pregnant naturally & we have decided not to retest NKs or have IVIg. I researched the decision very carefully & we discussed it at length with the clinic - not least the timing issue of when & how much should be given. Dr Sher for example has a different protocol to Mr T. 

My NK levels have varied between 9% and 17%, they were at their absolute highest (23%) after I had the IVIg. There are still many unknowns about the whole area of NK activity & treatment, in our case neither dh nor I were convinced of its efficacy,the ARGC had no problem with my declining it.

G/L whatever you decide, I certainly don't think that it implies a lack of gratitude for your pregnancy for you to consider this. Nor do I think it is at all unreasonable for you to think of the financial implications - unfortunately few of us are lucky enough to have unlimited funds! 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Farady and thank you all so much for sharing.  :)

My levels were always a bit borderline and pretty well looked within normal but Sharif told me they like to see some of them lower. I had sky high ANA's (anti nuclear antibodies) though and was on dexymethasone for that.

I put a call in to the clinic this morning and am (still!) waiting to hear back.  ::) I know they'll get back to me sometime! I'll ask what's going on with them and my full blood count to make them think i need another blast.

I'll speak to Sharif - he reassured me the first time I had it, but then I didn't really feel I had an option. Now is a bit different.

I think that if they feel I need it then that's what i'll do.

I'll keep you posted. xx
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top