Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

IVM First Timer at Oxford

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ❣Audrey 
#1 ·
Hi!   I'm new to FF and am going to be doing my first round of fertility treatment at Oxford in June.  Is there anyone out there who has had IVM who could share their experiences or give advice?  Anyone who has had tx at Oxford?

I basically have PCO on scan (both ovaries) and am under the age threshold, so Tim Child at Oxford has accepted me for IVM treatment.  I'm very conscious of OHSS so opted for this rather than standard IVF despite the lower success rates.  I could start now, but my BMI is 29 and for my own peace of mind I've decided to try and lose some weight before treatment.  Currently 12 stone (only 5' 3.5") and aiming to get to 11 stone at least.   ::)

The main reason for needing treatment is that my DP had a vasectomy whilst married to his ex-wife.  He had a reversal which was originally successful (we were told) but there was still only a low count.  Over the 2 years since the reversal scar tissue has built up and now the count is nearly nonexistent.  Naively we thought that if it was successful somehow we'd get pregnant naturally - we weren't aware of the likelihood of scar tissue building up which is apparently common.  So here we are older and wiser!

The whole infertility issue seems to be taking over my life!  I guess it's the unknown - having not gone through any treatment before I don't quite know what to expect!  We'd dearly love to have a family and believe we'd make not bad parents (the cat, guinea-pig and 2 chickens would hopefully vouch for us!).

Anyway, would love to hear from anyone to share this journey!

X

See less See more
#2 ·
^hello^
& Welcome to FF Cambridge Girl ^hugme^
I am sorry youve learned the hard way about the rev and scar tissue, its one of the most frustrating parts of IF treatment the infomation is often slow and poorly communicated to us the patient (paying!)
I hope that as you mooch around FF and read other stories you will soon feel empowered for the next stage on your journey and the BFP hiding just round the corner! Positive thinking ^reiki^

I am going to leave you some direct links to boards here on FF - that you may or may not have found, I would like to encourage you to post in these areas to build friendships and support from members who really do have an understanding of your situation,
A link relevant to IVM & Oxford ;)
http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=135575.msg2042450;topicseen#msg2042450

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time.
The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that.
You will fnd a thread, usually with a funny/inspiring name for this year's buddies. Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment.
For Cycle buddies -
CLICK HERE

PCOS & PCO
CLICK HERE

Male factors -
CLICK HERE

And don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area
G&B – Community Fun board
CLICK HERE

To make the site easier to navigate click on the index tab at the top of any page - pink hearts mean there is something new within the board you have not read/looked at and if you scroll right down you will see the last ten posts from all over FF all are clickable ;) if you refresh this page (f5) it will update the last ten posts as well as the boards/threads and who's online!!!
take some time to look at the help tab too ;)

Check out the Locations boards for where you live & a site search for your clinic ;)

Wishing you Friendship ^fairydust^ & ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
^goodluck^ Dont forget to let us know how you get on!

If you need any help just ask!

~Dizzi~
^willy nilly^

#3 ·
Hi cambridge girl and welcome to the site :)

You have come to a fantastic place full of advice and support.

Im sorry to hear of your problems with trying for a baby. Why not come and join us over on the oxfordshire thread - there are quite a few of us and most of the girls have had treatment at the JR and under Tim Childs. Good luck with losing the weight - on the oxfordshire board we currently have a thread going for the girls trying to lose weight that has proved quite successful as everyone is motivating each other.

Hope to see you there.

Kate xx

#4 ·
Hello!
I am new to this site as well and am utterly hopeless with all initials and things - I posted this in response to someone else's enquiry about IVM but it sounds as if you and I are in a very similar position with regard to how we came to need the treatment! Hope this is useful (it's very long, i don't know how to be brief!)

I haven't done all the explanatory stuff at the end of the posts because i'm a complete technical biff so - I am 35yrs old, we started on this road four years ago after my husband's vascectomy reversal still left us with almost no chance of conceiving naturally.We have had 3 failed IVF attempts. What we were initially unaware of until my ovaries produced 80-100 follicles (they hope for 15-20 usually) under stimulation is that I have polycystic appearing ovaries. I wasn't very well (OHSS) and this happened even with a lower dose the next time too. The time after that I was on such a low dose that they only got 4 eggs, then one embryo which didn't survive. It was just before we embarked on IVF3 that I read about IVM in the Independent and they mentioned that only one clinic was licensed to conduct IVM but infuriatingly didn't say which one. Our clinic feigned ignorance when we asked them about it (though looking back they must have known - It's too small a world for them not to have known, but I guess they are all businesses and we should remember that!)I had felt I was doing myself quite a lot of harm mentally, physically and emotionally every time we did IVF. It was the potential to kill of OHSS which freaked my husband out the most and he was becoming less and less keen for us to continue.
Anyway, while we waited to see if we were pregnant this last IVF time, I finally found it on the net and my clinic wrote me a referral letter to Mr Tim Child at the Oxford Fertility Clinic.
We got a pack from Oxford explaining the criteria for acceptance as a patient - Under 36yrs (now gone up to 38yrs I think but if you contact them they'll be able to tell you) Less than 3 unsuccessful IVF cycles (I couldn't really say my first 2 had been cycles) polycystic appearing ovaries. (Sorry, I can't remember the other 2 criteria and my beloved has tidied all the stuff away somewhere)
I'm sure you have probably contacted Oxford by now to find out if it is suitable for you, but if you haven't - I found them so helpful and friendly. Not everyone will be suitable for IVM but I would love to give hope to those who may be.
On the very day that the first British IVM babies (twins) were born (18th Oct 07) we went for our first appointment. It was in such marked contrast to the other clinics we had attended where sometimes you never meet a consultant. Mr Child did the ultrasound to check that my ovaries looked right for the process. He then had a discussion with us about our history and explained that IVM had a less high success rate (around 20%)than IVF (nearly 50%) at their clinic but that for me it may be a much better option and was a viable possibility. He said 20% but I believe they are actually now closer to 40%. He was very approachable, we really felt in good hands throughout the process.

We live in the far North of Scotland, the nursing staff were always keen to help by phone when we had problems. When I had difficulty getting local scans before starting the process they were great - one of them said if I didn't manage to sort it she would contact a friend in Aberdeen who may know someone who could help. I know the whole thing is all supposed to be about science but the personal touch is so wonderful when you're stressed to bits making secret phone call from corridors at work and trying not to think too hard about the what ifs.

We could only start the process in June (hubby working away for months, not any delay by Oxford) I had to have a scan just prior to travelling down to Oxford to check I had no cysts and that womb lining thin (if you were close to Oxford they would do it)
On the Saturday before egg collection on the Monday I had to inject HCG into my stomach (gross!) but that was it on the drugs front prior to EC. Egg collection was a blur (done by Enda McVeigh, other senior guy) but the after effects were a little more gruesome than with standard IVF. He warned me about this beforehand, that they have to go into the follicles 2 or 3 times to get the tiny immature eggs. So you are just a bit more sore afterwards. So long as you stay mostly still for a few days afterwards, take the painkillers and drink plenty of water it's fine (don't let me put you off!) My husband gave his contribution that day too.
So we got  a dozen eggs and everybody seemed really pleased with me (which was surreal/funny because I hadn't done any of it!) I got a call a couple of days later from the embryologist to say several were maturing nicely and would be fertilised by ICSI. By Wednesday 2 were actual embryos and 4 others were being fertilised. They put 2 embryos into me on Thursday (again everyone involved was patient centred and friendly) Incredible thing to watch on their monitor a little cloud going right into the middle of my womb.
You have to take oestrogen tablets and progesterone pessaries (horrid, greasy vile things!) until you do a pregnancy test two weeks later(you continue these if you are pregnant until the placenta has grown at 10weeks - because of how the eggs are harvested the body doesn't know to produce these hormones)
I am 13 weeks pregnant and stopped the hormones at 10weeks. I am utterly wracked with vomiting (they don't seem to have one of those daft little faces which does that!  :p )and thrilled to bits all at once!  :) We know it is early days and we are still a little bit unbelieving, even having seen little hands and feet waving around in there.

Sorry this has been so long winded I just wanted you (and anyone else who is wondering) to know about a good IVM experience. I can't thank all at Oxford enough for what they have done for us and the way that we were treated at every stage. We would have returned to them and done the whole thing over again without any hesitation if we hadn't had our baby on board. We still have 3 frosties in their freezer...

I hope you have as much luck as we have had ^reiki^ with IVM and the very best of luck with your planned weight loss

Hedgehog

#5 ·
Good luck xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.