Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Not sure where exactly to post as FF doesn't appear to have an area for IVM.

Basically, we started IVM at Oxford on Monday.  I had my egg collection on Wednesday, and they were disappointed to only retrieve 3 eggs (We were hoping for more like 10)

Anway, yesterday we had a call to say one of the eggs was no longer viable, and that they had injected one, so we're waiting at home today to find out if it fertilised and if the other egg has matured enough to be injected.

This is my first time at any treatment, and I was so wary of how I'd feel after the egg collection.  But luckily, I don't feel nearly as bad as I expected.  Though just hugely disappointed at the low number of eggs as the odds are now so much lower.

Does anyone know why I would have so few eggs?  Would this be the same every month or just this particular month?

If we'd done IVF would there have been more eggs?

Just crossing fingers now that the one egg fertilises ok and we get the chance to at least put one embryo back.

Hopefully, Friday 13th brings us some good luck!

Rachel
X

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Hi Rachel

I don't really know about IVM but wanted to wish you luck with your tx and hope that today brings good news  ^reiki^ ^pray^

xx

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
^hello^ Cambridge Girl

Welcome to FF! I really hope today did bring good news for you ^reiki^

IVF does create more eggs than IVM, but this is due to the high level of stims used during the IVF process, thus producing lots of follicles. If ladies produce too many follicles it can cause a condition called OHSS which in rare cases can be fatal, if left undetected. I presume, IVM is a safer option as not so many follicles are produced and the eggs are collected when they are less mature. I see from your post that they only collected 3 eggs ^hugme^, how many follicles did your scan show, it is possible for not every follicle to contain an egg too. Hopefully, you would've had more answers from JR on this today. I've done a search on IVM for you and there a quite a few different posts relating to it, take a look here and you should find more info ;)

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=search2

I'm also going to provide you with some more links, where you can find other members to share advice, friendship and giggles with;

What Every New Member Needs to Know ~
CLICK HERE

For Cycle buddies -CLICK HERE

PCOS
CLICK HERE

Male factors -CLICK HERE

Locations
CLICK HERE

That should keep you busy for a while, however don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area
G&B - Community Fun board
[url=http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=1.0]CLICK HERE

Sending you lots of ^reiki^ and ^fairydust^

Let us know how you get on ^reiki^

Louj :-* :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kiki and Louj for the good luck wishes.

We had a phonecall yesterday to say the egg they had injected had failed to fertilise.  However, they were injected the one last egg yesterday afternoon (as it had now matured).

So we're again waiting for a phonecall today.

I had 11 foliicles on one ovary and 12 follicles on the other.  They said they'd been into everyone, but 3 was all they found.

I guess we'll get a consultation with Oxford at some point to discuss future options, but they did seem quite surprised by the low number of eggs.

Kiki - I see your partner had a vasectomy but you went straight for SSR.  Was the quality etc of the sperm ok?
My DP had a vasectomy and a reversal and he still has some sperm, but we're told it's not good quality.  I'm not sure if they would be better quality if we went for SSR?

So encouraging to know there are people out there who've managed to get pregnant after vasectomies etc.  Gives us hope.

Anyway, thanks for replying to my post.  Not many people have heard of IVM so I wanted to put this stuff on here for other people who might be looking into it, as information is quite scarce.

Cross fingers
Rachel
XXX

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a phonecall about 45 mins ago.  And our last egg has fertilised!  What a relief!  My DP was so worried his sperm wasn't going to be good enough!  More than anything I'm so happy his mind is at ease.

We have to wait another day to find out if the cells have duplicated, but we're one stage closer!  At least we know the eggs can fertilise, and maybe fertlisation on Friday 13th will prove lucky!  That little egg collected on Wednesday has hung in this long, it must be a fighter!

Cross fingers the 8am phonecall tomorrow is a good one!  Like I read somewhere else on FF - You've go to be in it to win it!

Don't know what to do for the rest of the day!  Think we need to get out of the house.  At least there's still hope!  Each day on this journey is so different to the next.

XXX

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Cambridge Girl!

That's fabulous news,  sending lots of ^reiki^ for the cell division.

Louj x  :-*

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just wanted to send you lots of  ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ and good luck.  It only takes one and this little bean seems like a fighter.

Also good news that your dp  ^sperm^ and your egg fertilised, so maybe if this one doesn't work there are lots of reasons it will work in the future.

Good luck honey. xxxxxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts