Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a friday afternoon I was sat at my computer catching up with emails and I had a bit of wind. I gave a little push to get rid of it and some water came out. It felt like it was coming from the wrong area to be wee, like I'd gotten my period or something. But I told myself it's probably just wee cuz I did push a bit. I called the hospital just in case though and they said it's best you come in just to be sure it's not your waters. I told DH to just stay home as it would probably be a long boring wait as usual and I'd be home any way because it was probably just wee. I walked down and got the bus a couple hours after the initial leak. The thought crossed my mind as the bus went over every single bump that if it was my waters then the bus probably wasn't a good idea but I pushed that out of my head. I got off the bus and needed to walk literally ten feet to the next stop and catch the last bus to the hospital. After about two steps my waters went completely. My trousers were soaked almost down to the knees. The bus for the hospital was due though so I just jumped straight on it and sat on the edge of the seat. It is only about three stops away from the hospital. I was luckily wearing a long coat so no one could see my wet trousers! With every step towards the hospital more waters gushed out. I was wearing a liner but thinking back I should have put a proper pad in. I got into the hospital by the lifts and there was one there with the doors just closing and I was shouting for them to wait or hold it, I even stuck my fingers in the doors to try and keep it from closing but they all just stared at me and let it close. When I got to the labour ward I had been told to go into the triage, but no one was there. I was so upset and scared at this point I didn't know what to do. I buzzed into the labour ward and said no one was in triage and just burst into tears. The midwife who greeted me was wonderful. She took me in right away and had a look at my trousers and said that's definitely not wee. They booked me into a room and had the doctors come take a look with a speculum. The only thing he could see in there was waters and they were hesitant to try and check my cervix as the speculum was bothering me and they didn't want to risk introducing any possible infections. I called DH at that point and was in tears to him as well. He was really upset with himself for not coming with but I said it worked out as I needed a new pair of trousers and stuff brought any way.

The doctors came back to assess my situation. They said that they wanted me to stay in hospital and try to get to 36 weeks. They started me on antibiotics and gave me a steroid injection for the baby's lungs. They also tested that I didn't already have an infection of some sort. I was all clear of every thing although I did have protein in my urine and I suspect I had a bladder infection or UTI. I was having some pains in that region especially when they pressed the area. Also they said if that was left untreated for long enough it could cause the waters to break.

On friday night I was put in the ward they put all the ladies having an induction in. One lady got to about 3 minutes apart and I was having period like sympathy contractions with her! It was awful. I just wanted to sleep. Plus her husband was in there sniffling with a cold and kissing all over her constantly. It was annoying the crap out of me but I didn't say any thing because I'm sure his support was helping her cope. Then saturday morning, once they moved her to labour ward, every thing calmed down for me. My waters even stopped leaking. DH came up to see me and things were looking fine. Saturday went well and that night I got a really nice sleep too. Then Sunday my waters started leaking again and this time I started having more real contractions. They were no more than 20 minutes apart but they weren't very regular. They were more with pressure than pain and felt like I needed a poo. Very weird sensation mostly because it goes away so quickly. By sunday night I was waking every hour with them and by Monday morning I buzzed the MW as I felt like I was pushing. I had woken with them being 3 in 15 minutes and felt like I was pushing whether I wanted to or not, so the MW had a look with out really opening me up and said I definitely wasn't at the pushing stage and that helped me calm down a little. They kept trying not to do internal exams as they didn't want to risk me getting an infection, even though I was on antibiotics as well.

Monday after noon the doctors came around, this time the consultants and every one were with them. The main doctor/consultant, said that as I was 34 weeks the risk of getting an infection with my waters being gone was much worse than having him born at this stage. I'd already gotten the two steroid injections, one every twelve hours, for his lung development and was assured that they work with in an hour or so of getting them. So he said they wanted me to consider being induced. I really didn't want to be induced, in fact I was terrified of the whole idea of it. So they let me have the rest of monday to think it over and talk to DH about it. I wasn't getting any sleep and I was very teary all day monday, which was really hard for DH to see as well. We both decided that tuesday we'd say ok to induction.

Luckily because I was preterm they moved me straight into the labour ward for induction instead of leaving me on the ward I was on already to get on with it. So I said I'd like to give it my best go with just the pessary to soften the cervix first. So they put that in and gave me a good six hours to try and get things started on my own. I bounced on the ball, walked around the hospital, looked out the window, standing was very difficult during the contractions but I pushed through it hoping something was going to happen. My contractions were still pretty sparatic when they came back to see how I was doing. I said if this is as bad as the pain gets I think I'll be ok and the MW said, I won't lie, it's much worse. So they checked to see if I'd dialated and I was at 2 cm. They said they really want to induce me and I said I was terrified of it so they asked what it was that scared me. I said that I know the induction contractions can get pretty intense and I've heard they are much stronger and more painful than regular natural ones. They said yes that can be true and I said that I also knew that they won't give an epidural until you are 3-4cm dialated. The MW said that is usually true but in your case I think we can make an exception.

They got the doctor round to verify and he agreed that because no matter what I was going to be having this baby soon, they would let me have the epidural before they started the drip. So I got a labour room, I had just been in the exam room before this, and they put a cannula in my wrist (took three tries, ouch) to prepare for the drip. They started the IV for fluids and got the anesthetist in to do the epidural. She was absolutely wonderful. She explained what she was going to do and how it worked. I positioned myself as well as I could for her because I didn't want her to have to try more than once. I wasn't prepared for how it would feel though. I jumped when she put it in not because of the pain of the needle but because it felt like a tube or something was going down my spine! Which apparently is exactly what they do. Then she asked about any feelings I was having. I said my bum went warm and tingly so she was really worried that she'd done a spinal block rather than just the epidural. I said what does that mean? She said it means she wants to take it out and try again I begged her not to. I said I just freaked out a little about how it felt but I didn't feel like it was wrong and please can she check another way first before re doing it? She got the cold spray out and sprayed my belly and legs and said that it all checked out as I felt them all the same amount and they all felt cold. Phew I thought, I really didn't want more than one try of that. So she left and they started the drip. After about an hour I could really feel the contractions so the MW hit the top up button for me. This kept happening until after 3 hours I was just waiting until the next top up could be hit. The MW called the anesthetist back because she said I shouldn't be needing the top up so much. I felt like such a wuss but also thought I shouldn't be feeling that much either. So the doctor did an exam while we waited and found I was 4cm dialated. They started me on syntocin. The evil drip I call it! I started having really strong contractions. They took my breath away and the pain was really strong. The pain was a bit more than the pressure at this point and I kept thinking why am I feeling all this with an epidural! Then baby's heart rate started dropping with each contraction so she had me lay on my left side.

I was on my side crying with pain every 2 minutes with each contraction. It was really strong and the MW kept adjusting the heart rate monitor during it all to try and find the baby's heart beat. It hurt so bad while she was moving it around and pushing it into my tummy during the contractions and if it weren't for the fact that it was because they were concerned something was wrong with him, I think I would have hit her! Finally the anesthetist came in and she sat me up and did the cold spray test again. This time it was cold on my belly but not so cold on my legs. She said there wasn't enough in there and that it had only numbed me from my hips down, so I'd been feeling full on contractions from the top part the whole time. She added more anesthetic and said that would cover it. that was at about 1:15am. She said it will take about half an hour to take full effect. At 1:30am I said I think I need to push. The doctor had a quick feel and said I was 10cm. They propped me up into position and took away the bottom of the bed and said if you feel the need to push, then push. So I panicked a bit as they walked away from the bottom of the bed after saying I should push. I said don't let him fall out! So the head midwife came and stood there to make me feel better. I started pushing and the doctor said he'd get the forceps and ventouse ready. I said no I don't want those and the MW knew I didn't want them and said to him let her try and push on her own first. So I gave my best push and they were all cheering me on and letting me know I was doing it right. Then the contraction stopped so I waited and the doctor backed off a little with the forceps. The next one I pushed again and by the end of that one the doctor was all the way in the corner of the room with his forceps as they could tell I was going to be able to do it. By the last contraction I had to ask the MW if I was having one yet because the epidural had finally taken full effect but by that time I knew how to push and was able to get his head out. Then I had to wait for the last contraction and got his body out.

The room was full of people. The doctors from the baby unit were there, the main doctor, the head midwife and then my midwife. My midwife was young and the head one let her deliver my baby which I thought was really cool of her because my midwife had never delivered a preterm baby before. They let DH cut the cord and Colin gave a little wail and they took him over to the warm table to pink him up. He got really pink quick and gave a couple more little cries. Then the put a towel around him and gave him to me for 5 minutes. They were waiting for some one or something I have no idea though because I was just so amazed I was allowed to hold him and he was so well. They had warned me that they might have to rush him upstairs and I may not be able to have a cuddle. They had estimated by feeling him in my belly that he was at least 4 and a half pounds, possibly 5. He was only 3lbs 15oz. That was why my bump was so small. I knew I wasn't crazy!

They took him upstairs and DH went to see him soon after. DH came back and I started feeling very sick. I had the injection for the placenta while I was holding him and they were able to get all the placenta out in one go, pretty cool feeling when that comes out lol. I had only two 2nd degree tears and they said neither needed stitches. Anyway, I got a MW in to give me a sick bowl just in time. Then she left again. I started shivering and shaking lots. I'm guessing a little bit of shock and adrenaline. DH was calming me and showed me the picture they took of Colin when he got up to the Trevor Mann baby unit. Then I started feeling sick again but was so tired I just was sleeping and moaning a bit. DH was trying to get all of our stuff together. The MW came back in the room and I said I feel really sick and I've already been sick so she got me an injection to help stop the sickness. Then they said DH could stay and they wouldn't move me to the maternity ward until morning as it wasn't very busy. So they let us both sleep there until morning.

DH went up to see our little man again before he went home. I felt awful I hadn't been up to see him yet and was a little tearful about it. A mw came in and got me ready to go to maternity and said they'd get me a nice bath and then wheel me up to see him right away. I was stuck with a catheter and bag for 12 hours because of the epidural, even though I could stand and feel every thing. So that part had to be the worst of it all, bathing with a bag in tow! I got dressed and ready and went up to see him. He was perfect!

I have to say that the epidural surprised me. I thought I wouldn't be able to feel my legs at all but through the whole thing I could move around on the bed freely and wiggle my toes even. I just had that tingly sensation most of the time in my legs, like when they fall asleep and go numb. I felt like I could have got up and walked around if I wanted but they assured me I couldn't have done that much. I would definitely do it the same way all over again. Even with the epidural not working completely. I think it was nice that I got a taste of full on labour pains at the end so I know what to expect should we be lucky enough to do this again. In fact I'd get an epidural again. We might be crazy but we plan to try for baby number 2 in August! When I was in labour and waiting with the pessary I kept telling every one why did I do this to myself, what did I get myself into! But now that he's here and it's all over and I know what to expect, it was all worth it and I'd definitely do it again. Just next time I'd like to be a little further a long than 34 weeks lol.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wow Jakoba, what a story!  Well done for writing it all out, it must have taken you ages but you'll be so glad you did whenever you re-read it.  It sounds like you did amazingly well, it must have been scary having Colin come so early  ^hugme^  So glad everything went well in the end!

Some1

xx

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for writing your story hun, you did amazingly well and im so glad Colin is doing so well even though he came a little early xxx

·
Registered
873 Posts
That was an amazing story, made me feel even more broody.

Wishing you, your hubby and little Colin all the best for the future.

xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts