Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2,561 - 2,580 of 2,580 Posts
Hi all,

Hope you've all had a good festive break.

We are due to start IUI in Jan, as long as AF doesnt start before the 4th.
We are seeing Dr Shehnaz Jivani, does any one else see her? She has been really good so far.

Not really sure what to expect and am concerned about how i'll react to the drugs, but i'm feeling positive that at least we are moving on with this journey.

Lets hope 2016 is a good year for all of us.

I'm seeing Dr Jivani but in recurrent miscarriage clinic. She's absolutely lovely and I've been really impressed with how quick she's moved us through the tests. Unfortunately AF is a cow when we don't want her etc but I'm sure everything will be fine and you'll be ready to go forward on the 4th. Good luck for everything and glad you're getting started. I've never done iui only IVF but what I will say is don't worry about the drugs etc. The process is hard enough without the added stress of worrying about things that are out of our control. I'm sure you'll be fine with the drugs but either way they're needed regardless so just got to make the best of the situation. Let us know how you get on. Not long at all eeeeek. Here's hoping it's a very happy new year for you.x.x

Hi everyone! Hope you've all enjoyed Christmas.  I've taken December as a big time out from the whole process so that's why I've not been on here.  Hope you're all ok.  I have a refresher appointment with the nurses tomorrow followed by a counselling session with Suzanne. Mr Metwally was keen for us to give it a go so we will see.  Anyone else had one? Did you find it useful.  We will definitely be having the ends scratch this time so should be good to start a new treatment cycle early Feb, but we will see what they say tomorrow.

Thanks Moon, that's really good advice. I agree with you. sometimes you can't help but just worry about every single part of the process. But you're right. I am trying to take each day at a time. AF not shown yet, the one time i want her to come! I'm now 2 days late, but feel like I'll start any day, so hopefully I'll go back to ACU by the end of this week.
Dr Jivani is really nice, and even tho we were advised by Mr Skull to go straight to IVF, she did an extra test to see if SIUI could work. From hubby's SA it shows we can. So we now get 3 SIUIs on the NHS, which if we went straight to IVF we would have missed out on.
Sorry to hear you have had miscarriages, that must be heartbreaking. I can't imagine what you are going through. Hope you are taking good care of yourself.
Hi Frosticle. Not sure what endo scratch is? Also not gone for the counselling. Not needed it so far, but it's worth knowing that the option is there if i need it.
Hope it goes well for you and brings you some comfort.x

Hi all

I don't normally post here but I hope you don't mind because I'm in a bit of a panic.

I already have 1 son via IUI at Jessops. So I've been having IVF for a second child as a private patient. I had ET just before Christmas. Prior to ET I was having problems with bleeding, the pessary applicators were aggravating this and the pessaries were often sticking in the applicator and collapsing rather than going in. The consultant put me on injected progesterone as well as the pessaries. No additional cost was mentioned at that point, we collected the prescription and were not charged for it and I took both as directed across the Christmas break.

I home tested on the 30th and 1st and got a BFP which I am delighted about. Had a blood test today and also a prescription to continue with my drugs. I took it to the pharmacy and they asked for an £8.20 NHS prescription charge. As I'd never been charged before I queried this and they had to check. I said I would come and collect later as I had to collect my son from nursery.

My husband went on his way home from work to collect just before they closed. And with no warning they demanded £200 to hand over the prescription! They are saying that as the injectable pregesterone is not on the tick box part of the list so isn't free. They say the people who gave it free made a mistake. I had a look at the ACU website and it unequivocally states that all drugs are included and none except anaesthetics are in the exceptions. They make a big deal about 'NO HIDDEN EXTRAS' on the site. http://www.jessopfertility.org.uk/download/1450/self-funding-price-list-2015.doc

We are stretched after paying for treatment and being the first week of January it's doubly hard, my husband is self employed so has had no income for the past fortnight. I only have one day's drugs left and we're going to struggle to get the money in 24 hours.

I'm absolutely terrified what the effects of halving my progesterone over night will be and am scared it will induce miscarriage. I feel like they're holding my baby hostage and are prepared to let it die if I can't come up with £200. I'm so upset.

I'm going to call the ACU tomorrow and I am hoping they can sort this for me without paying as it seems to be coming from the pharmacy, not them, I'm not even sure the pharmacy has spoken to the ACU. I'm so furious, if this is correct then they shouldn't be saying on their website that there are no hidden costs and drugs are included.

Has anybody else had this issue? Can they do this? I also wanted to give a heads up to other ladies. If you are given a prescription with anything handwritten on rather than ticked by a printed box, get an absolute iron clad guarantee from the ACU about cost before taking it to the pharmacy so you don't end up in the same boat!

Hi Monkeylalala
What a nightmare you are having.  I would definitely ring ACU this morning and get it all sorted out.  I never had a private treatment at Jessops but I always paid for prescriptions but I suppose that was because it was on the NHS.  I totally understand how worried you are but these things always work themselves out.  Just be very firm but polite when you're speaking to them and then ask to speak to a manager should you not get anywhere.  I really hope you get everything sorted out.

Moon, how are you doing my lovely?  Hope the tests are going well (or as well as it gets if you know what I mean).  It won't be long now until your skiing holiday will it?  I bet you're so looking forward to it.  I'm really hoping that 2016 is your year you've had such a tough time.

Frosticle, lovely to hear from you.  I hope the counselling sessions go well, I must admit I've considered it myself and I'm sure it would do you the world of good.

Hijabi - good luck with starting your treatment hun.  I really hope that the SIUI works for you hun.  Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Peach - haven't heard from you for ages so hope you are doing ok and have enjoyed Christmas & New Year?

AFM, I've had the worst 3 months of my life, I've had the cycle from hell, only 1 mature egg collected, hcg of only 36 on test day, then contracted Cryptosporidium which put me in hospital, blood tests then showed my hcg's were going through the roof, a gestation sac was found and was growing but nothing inside it.  The hospital refused to intervene just in case there was a modicum of hope.  Managed to miscarry naturally when looking after my 8 year old niece (not ideal).  Got a really nasty cold and then 2 days after Christmas by back has given way, which again put me in hospital.  My poor husband had to literally carry me to and from the bathroom - as if IVF wasn't enough to rob you of all of your dignity.  I've been diagnosed with severe muscle spasms and sciatica.  Apparently sciatica can be brought on by emotional stress - no kidding!

Soooooo I need a total break from everything to do with IVF.  I feel as though we're still feeling the effects of it.  Right now I've no desire to do another cycle.  I know we probably will but I'm so exhausted by everything that we've decided to just enjoy our lives for the most  part of this year.  If we do cycle again it will be Aug/September time at the earliest.  We're going on holiday in just over 2 weeks and we've also booked 2 more holidays away with our dog. 

I would like to wish each and every one of you that contributes towards this forum and even those who read but don't contribute the very best of luck with your journeys.  I will keep popping on to see how you are all doing.

I don't know what the future holds for us but I do know that it's time to stop putting our lives on hold and in the short term just to relax and have some fun.

Sending massive love and hugs to everyone and some fairy dust for good measure  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^
^fairydust^

Just an update.  Spoke to the ACU. They said that the injectable progesterone was supposed to be temporary (which they didn't tell me) to stop bleeding.  And they told me to stop it and just take the pessaries, it should be okay.  But then they said that I should call them if I started bleeding.  Which didn't exactly fill me with confidence everything would be okay, but I don't have £200 to spare at the moment so I don't have much choice.  Everything has been okay so far, but it was a pretty unpleasant experience and a bit of an upsetting shock which was not really great at this stage.  I'm thinking about writing them a letter, asking them to make their policy on paid for drugs clearer when prescribing them. I really think I should have been properly informed about the cost and length of time I would be taking them for when I was prescribed them.

I also think they need to make the section on their website clearer as it specifies all drugs are included and makes a big deal about 'No hidden extras' so I don't really think that it's on for them to say that without adding the caveat that if there is a need for additional drugs there may be a charge.

Steph,  thanks for your kind words.  I had transfer cancelled twice and it was gruelling going through the treatment close together, and that was without the added trauma you've had.  I think a break can often be a real help and raise your chances of conception just because it gives you an opportunity to lower your stress levels.  Holidays are brilliant for that.  Had my BFP with my son from treatment just after a holiday and this one during a break from work so I am a huge advocate of holidays!  Enjoy yours. :)

Hi everyone, I've been reading for a while but took some time out since the ectopic which was six months ago! It's been quite tough to get over and my marriage has also had a few problems but we are finally back on track.

Everyone has been in my thoughts and sending lots of hugs as it seems u all have been having lots going on. This process is never ending and not easy for us all.
Well I have decided to have another  go at ivf after saying I never would lol!! Start on Wednesday at jessops just sat crying thinking about it all and joining the roller coaster again. 
Xxxx

Hi guys I have been reading and keeping up in a fashion, I'm sorry I've not been on but I really needed time out in fact cma what you have written is just what's happened with me. After my ruptured ectopic in July I just didn't want to think about IVF for a very long time, I turned 40 in October and we went to Dubai it was awesome and just what me & my husband needed, Mr Metwalley also agreed!!
So the roller coaster begins again had my consult, signed the paper work starting next cycle which should be mid Feb, it all gives me the heebie jeebies!!! Lol
This is our 5th and final round, slightly more drugs 350 gonal f, not looking forward to it and if it doesn't work we have to accept its not meant to be and move on. At least we can say we have tried although mr Metwalley thinks I've just been unlucky!! X

Hijabi just realised my doctors name is dr Jivraj not Jivani so don't know if we both got the names wrong or whether we are seeing different consultants. How's siui going?

Frosticle how did the counselling go? Did you find it useful? I considered it after my last miscarriage but decided not to but don't know whether to go for some before we start everything again. Good luck cycling again. I can't believe how quick time flies and then suddenly we will all be at a point where the nerves/excitement kicks in. Let us know how everything goes.

Steph I'm really going to miss you on here so I'll say now thank you so much for being such a supportive lady. You've been fantastic and I'm grateful for everything you've said to calm me etc. Miscarrying is just heartbreaking. I had 3 within a year and just can't face the thought of having anymore I think it would break me and it's such a nightmare going to EPU all the time to be checked. Im so sorry to hear your back went on top of everything. Hope it starts to feel better soon but hopefully you will have some lovely relaxing holidays and feel on top of the world after your break from all this.

Monkeylala glad you got sorted with the progesterone and hopefully you can relax a little now.

Cma and moldog I can't believe it was 6 months ago it's just crazy my last m/c was October and just can't believe how quick that's gone let alone the time from your heartbreak! Congrats on having another go. I will keep everything crossed for you both that this is your time. It's got to be you both deserve it so much. Please keep us posted as to how treatments going.

Peach how are you doing sweetie?

Surfgirl hope the pregnancy is wonderful and going strong.

Gilly are you a grandma yet?

Afm had a hysteroscopy and apparently I have a 'lovely smooth womb' lol but I'm def taking anything positive atm. After my last mc it took 5 weeks for my bloods to return to normal and apparently I can't have my clotting blood investigations done until 12 weeks after they were 0 again so that's not until beginning of Feb so just waiting till then but at least the hysteroscopy was ok and just awaiting results for the karyotyping tests. It's been 6 weeks now they're taking ages and as usual they said they'd requested my notes when in fact they hadn't so of course that put a delay on it. My mate works in the labs in sheff and she said they filed the report 4 weeks ago! My notes are in medical records so that's why I've been waiting so long because they didn't request them. Should know in a couple of days though hopefully. In the meantime we are waiting to hear back from mr metwally to see if we can go ahead with attempting to unblock my tube. We are going to do everything before having our final attempt because we can't afford a fresh cycle yet so will have to try naturally again if it doesn't work so figured two tubes were better than one.

Much love to everyone.x.x

Hi all, hope you are all doing well.
Moonamimoo, i think i got the spelling wrong, seems we do have the same dr! and so IUI is going well, i have been doing the injections my self and have not felt any side effects. TBH, i have tried to not really think about it all. I have an alarm set on my phone for 8pm each night, and when it goes off, i do the injection and that's it. I have a scan this friday to see how many follicles have grown. As this is my 1st cycle, i have no idea how i have reacted to the medicine, so i'm just not expecting anything, because for all i know i could have under or over stimulated.

Sorry to hear that the process of hospitals is taking so long, they are very good at taking their time and losing documents. Do keep chasing them. Hope it all goes well for you at the next stage. Did the hysteroscopy hurt? or was it ok? i have only had the HSG done, which i found to be fine, no issues at all really.

Frosti, did you go for the counselling? I hope it went well. I have a member of my family who is training to be a counselor, and i always find it really useful talking to her about things, so i am sure it will help. The whole TTC journey is so painful and personal, and i do think it is easier to talk to someone outside your immediate circle about it, especially when it starts to take over everything, which it easily can.

Steph, sorry to hear your at where you are at. All the best to you hun, i have been reading your posts and you have been a great comfort to others on here.

Monkeylala, sorry to hear about your experience. I think the NHS forgets that their is a person at the end of each treatment, so the more advice they can provide the better, but it doesn't always appear to be the case sadly.

CMA and Muldog, sorry to hear about both your ectopics, that must have been really difficult. Emotionally and physically. CMA, glad to hear you have sorted your issues with Hubby, TTC can have such a toll on relationships so we have to work extra hard. All the best with the IVF, please try and think positive thoughts. It if is destined for you it will happen, and if not, you will be ok - thats what i keep telling myself anyway... I am sure you are a strong person and will be fine.

Moldog, all the best to you too...i feel like we are finally just getting on this journey with regards to treatment, and you guys have already been through so much. I hope and pray it works out for all of us, and we are blessed with great kids. x

Hi everyone ,

Muldog pleased you had an amazing time in Dubai. Glad you feel that you can try again. It was difficult last summer I guess like everyone says time heals. Although saying that I have had at least 2 meltdowns this week and didn't know if I could put myself though it again.

Hijai - hope your scan went well.

Im feeling a bit down today.
I went Wednesday for my first bloods and scan had to go back on Thursday as lining too thick. said same on Thursday so wasn't happy to start drugs. Got them all sat in fridge and paid up!
The staff were lovely but I couldn't keep it together!

Hi Cma I know exactly you mean, I keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing and yes my drugs are in the fridge too!! Sorry that things are not going quite to plan with your lining but it's better that everything is a good as it can be, this process is so hard xx

Hi guys,

Went to the scan yday and the nurse was a bit rougher then the last one. She was quick too n said I have one follicle at 12 and that it needs to be 16. She gave me more meds and said to come bk did scan on Monday.

I have even holding it together but felt down all day since then, hubbywent out last night so I spent most of the evening crying. Not sure if I feel better but I'm just worried if the follicle doesn't Grow to 16 by Monday.

Has anyone else had this?

Cma I hope your ok, this journey it so hard every minor set bk causes more heartache

Hijabi if it doesn't grow by Monday they will just give you more drugs and tell you to go back again. They have to bring you in a few days before they expect you to ovulate because they don't want to miss it so you might have a few scans before you're ready to ovulate and continue with treatment. I used to have on average 3-4 scans before they finally told me to take my ovitrelle.x.x

Hiya everyone, I haven't been on for a while as TBH, as a person who has already got children and mazzac being successful with IVF, I actually felt so helpless for you all and didn't want to upset you because we had been successful. I know you will probably say I'm daft, but honestly and wish with all my heart that everything turns out ok for you.
As for Marie, her due date is tomorrow but nothing is happening, he is comfy in mummy's tummy. Had a couple of scares these last 2 weeks as she has been diagnosed with strep B and on Tuesday night was in hospital waiting for an anti D injection and then they decided to examine her and found her membranes hanging through her cervix but still sent her home so she is very anxious now. Just can't wait for him to be born so he is safe and sound.
Anyway , I wish you all well and sending you all massive cyber hugs xxxxx

Thanks Moon- how are you getting on? I'm pleased to say i had the scan today, and i have 2 follicles both at 15, so they are going ahead with the iui tomorrow, and i don't need to use any more drugs as they say i am ovulating myself.
All depends on hubbys sperm smaple now, but hopefully by 12.30 tmrw, i't'll be done and start of the 2WW.

Gilly, i have been keeping up with your messages, it is nice of you to support us, and think about us. i think without this group, it would be much tougher for us to cope emotionally. I have also found others sharing experiences helps me to stay positive and reduces my concerns, so please keep on comenting. Hope all works out well for Mazzac.

Thankyou Hijabi. Mazza had the same dr as you and she was brilliant. I've seen you talkin about you probably not reacting to the drugs as expected. Your first round of drugs can be to see how you react and if it doesn't go to plan, they will end this months treatment and know what to do next month to make it better and maybe up your doses. That happened to Mazza and she was devastated but in reality it's the best thing because at least they will know what action to take. As you well know, it worked for Mazza so what they did worked so keep ya chin up and just try and stay positive xx

Hijabi how is the 2 week wait going? Hope all went to plan and hope you get your BFP.

I'm not too bad thanks for asking. We're having the nk cell biopsy done this month and just (im)patiently waiting for our miscarriage results. Off skiing on Saturday so that will def help time pass. Looking to restart treatment in April if all is well.

How is everyone else? Are all your treatments going well. Good luck for transfer etc.

Gilly are you a grandma/nan now??x.x.

2,561 - 2,580 of 2,580 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.