Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya my ticker is about 4 days behind what I am but I'm just waiting confirmation from MW before I adjust it...do you think I will be able to hear on my doppler at 14 weeks? Also will I be able to hear through a chubby belly? I was a size 16/18 before I got pg so now a little bigger!

Thanks
Ruthie x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi there

your doppler instructions should be able to when you should be able to hear it by, some are from 10w some not til 20w....

Many mw dont try until 14w or so.

The only thing I will say is you wont know til you try.  See where the mw puts it to hear it from...you will find its lower down than you think...near your bikini line at this point.  Therefore big bellies dont come into it.

Hope you get on with it ok, try not to panic if it takes a while to find it.  I didnt buy mine til 16w but never didnt find it......

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Ruthie With a little searching I think you should hear it even now I still have to move the doppler round to find spuds. I was a 14-16 before and found it from about 12 weeks if not a bit before

which doppler is it as the listening devices rather than doppers do say 20 weeks

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
The key is to have a go unless you are going to worry yourself sick if you don't hear anything. I know many ladies on here swear by their Doppler but I haven't got one as I know I will freak if I don't hear those 2 heartbeats! None of the MW I've seen have used a Doppler on me as they have said it's very difficult to find the HB before 18 weeks and the fact I'm having twins makes it even harder apparently. All I'm trying to say is please don't worry if you can't find it straight away, it may just be that the baby is lying in a position that makes it dificult to pick up xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

Check the instructions with your doppler as it'll give you an indication as to when you are likely to pick it up with that particular device.

With the one I had I picked up ds2 and ds3 both at 9+5

I think the trick is to go as low down as possible, around the top of your pubic bone. Use plenty of gel and then move it around VERY slowly, if you move it too quickly you can easily miss it. It can also take 15mins or so to find it sometimes.

As the others have said, if you think you'll panic and worry if you cannot find it then don't try yet. Remember most MW won't even attempt it until your 16 wks appt for the reason of not wanting to cause any worry if they cannot find it.

S xxxx

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies ladies...

IT came this morning in the post it's the pink Angel doppler with the headphones and the instructions say from 12 weeks...

We had ago this morning and after some fun listening to our own hearts!  ;D tried to find babies... it took ages but I think we heard the placenta as it sounded like a pulsing wooshing sound? and you are right

Shelly & EBW the wooshing was right near my bikini-line.. we are going to leave it a week (or as long as we can) and then try again... I'm wondering if I used enough Gel as it didn't move smoothly always?

The wooshing sound has stopped me from panicking though because I don't think the placenta would still be working if something was wrong!?

Ruthie x

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hi

I've been listening in with my doppler since 10+2 am 14 weeks today - Some days I find it straight away others I can spend 20 minutes looking for it (I'm very determined!!)

At the moment I find it about 2 inches up from my pubic bone but I guess we are all different.

You need to move it really slowly when searching try circular motions with the probe - lots of gel is helpful - although sometimes I can pick up baby with none  ???

Good luck - hope you find it easily!

Nic x

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Nic

I tired again this afternoon and we think we found it? It was just above the pubic bone and even though it does sound wooshing BUT it is plusing and beating so it must be a heartbeat? lordy I think I will have wait until MW has done it and then compare!!  ::)

R x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
time the beats over 15s and times by 4 or time over a minute.  Should be 130-160bpm I think and sound like a horse or train...!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
i found the heartbeat from 10 weeks but i am a midwife so knew what i was listening too.... personally, i would not try it on a woman until 20 weeks as although it is obviously possible to find it from early on if you cannot you tend to put the fear of god into women for no reason...

put a good dollop of gel onto the probe, start low and move very slowly- i find that moving around in one spot if you hear a sound usually gets results as if you can hear placental flow the heartbeat is usually nearby and it should be a louder quicker sound... if around the groin area watch out for your own heartbeat as you have one in your groin...

good luck and try not to worry if you cannot find anything..

tikki

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Type doppler into youtube and theres loads of videoclips to compare to what you heard.

I'm sure you found it  ;)

x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts