Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Just wondering as i am new to this...........

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Mrs CW 
#1 ·
Hi my little girl is 11 days old and i am just wondering about her sleeping on her front  ^idiot^

Katie sleeps well through the night, can go up to 6 hours which is great but in the evening, after her feed, which is normally about now, she gets really grizzly and wont settle unless she is laying on you on her front!! I am wondering if it is ok to let her lay on her play mat on her front?

I wouldnt ever put her on her front at night, she is very happy to sleep on her back any other time of the day!!

Any ideas or advice would be great  :-*

Love Liz x x

#3 ·
Tummy time is reccommended for playtimes:

Back to sleep,
Tummy to play!

It helps bub's to not have flathead. I didn't realise this til only recently and C now has flathead. Lots of babes like to sleep on tummies if you let them but it's not safe until they can roll themselves out of danger IYKWIM.

^congrats^ on the birth huni!! 'Pea' is gorgeous!!  ;)

#4 ·
Hi Lizzy,

Congrats on the arrival of Katie  :)

I was going to post a very similar post myself  ;D

Rory is quite colicy and it's hit or miss if we can get him to settle in the evening. If he's having a bad evening then, like Katie, the only real way of settling him is to pop him on his tummy on our lap (although that's not working tonight  ::)) He's fine on his back any other time and through the night.

I'm quite happy with that as we can clearly see his positioning but as he now 9 weeks and in a great feed/sleep routine all other times of day, I really need to start getting him to settle to sleep in the evening - as well as the colic - he's also then getting over tired  ::)

It is fact that sleeping on front increases risk of SIDS so I really don't think I am happy to start putting him to bed on his tummy, even if I buy a sensor pad monitor. I have a friend whose 1 year old son was born very poorly, had an op at 24 hours old and is still very poorly now (awaiting another serious op) but she has slept him on his front from when he was 6/7 weeks old as it really helped with his 'problem' and the severe reflux that came with it.

I'm just not sure. I know colic should start to improve around 3m so not long for us to go now so I could keep him downstairs during the evening as we do now with him asleep on mine or dh's lap  :-\ It is just an increased risk, it doesn't mean that if you sleep your baby on it's tummy it's going to be a SIDS victim :-\

What have others done?

S xxx

#5 ·
Hi Lizzy,

Just got to say....

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

She's beeeeeeeeautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Just seen Katies pic  :)

I bet you're so proud  ^hugme^
I'm so pleased for you hun  :)

Luv Angie x x

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far ladies!!

Clare i dont leave her on her own when she on her back let alone on her front hun!! I get scared she might be lonely  ;)

Mandy i know what you mean hun  ;)

Shelly i didnt realise it could increase chance of SIDS, that has got me a little worried now  :-\ I might just leave her laid on me on her front as she seems to like that

Angie hi hun, i am so proud  :) Thank you for your lovely comments  :-*

x x x x

#7 ·
Hi Lizzy
My LO has been sleeping on his front from when he was about 4/5 weeks old.  He suffered quite badly with his tum early on and also the moro reflex meant he kept waking himself up every half an hour - it was very hard work and he was shattered!
As Shelley has said though, sleeping on a baby's front does mean an increased chance of SIDS.  I was absolutely paranoid and did buy one of the movement sensor monitors.  But I had also weighed up all the other factors to determine we were low risk in every other department - neither of us smoke (the evidence I read showed that in 9/10 cot deaths, the mother smoked), we are white (again, the evidence I read said that african american babies are 2-3 times more likely to die of SIDS), and he was a big, full term baby (evidence I read said that pre-term and low birthweight babies are more likely to die of SIDS).  As I say though, this is just what my research found so please don't take these facts as gospel.  Any decision you make needs to be yours alone.  I just wanted you to know that if you do decide to put her on her front, you won't be the first mum to decide to do so.
Tams xx

#8 ·
There's nothing wrong with her having 'tummy time', it's actually a good thing, just stay with her and remember she won't like it for long at this age. As for sleeping, what about putting her on her side? I know the midwife did this to J when I was in hospital as he was mucousy.

Chux xx

#9 ·
Hi Lizzy

When Xavi was in NICU they slept him on his tummy initially but with a respiratory monitor, once they removed this they slept him on his side and we continued this when he came home as he settled so much better and it really helped his reflux, we swaddled him and popped him on his side, he wasn't able to roll onto his tummy from this position so we were never worried.

Now that he can roll / crawl he insists on sleeping on his tummy with his botty in the air, ;D I still always put him down on his back but he filps over immediately!

Congrats on your little girl, she looks adorable!

Katyliz x

#10 ·
Hello Lizzy

First of all, congrats on the new arrival. :)

my little one, was very early too and with severe reflux and he would not settle well most of the tim in his hamby hammock so he slept for the 4 first months at home on his tummy on us day and night and as soon as we would put him on his back he would wake up. It has now improved and he sleeps the entire night in his hammock. OUF

I think that you have to do what you feel is right and like you I would not leave him alone in a room and that was until he was nearing 6 months!!! I know I may have been paranoid but I could not do anything else.

Good luck

Steph

#11 ·
hi Lizzy - congratulations on the birth of Katie!!

Just a quick one as mine is waking up for a feed......

As far as I know, the reason you should lie them on their back to sleep is because they can suffocate with their face in the mattress.....
So putting them on their tummy to play is OK if you are with them to check they can still breathe.

My babies have both loved being on their tummies, i think most do - they like to sleep on my chest in froggy position. So long as I'm keeping an eye on them then I think that's safe enough.

I said to my community midwife the other day that because of SIDS I'm sure more mummies these days have trouble with their babies sleeping - it is much safer for them but I don't really think babies like it on their backs that much - they much prefer their tums.
I won't put a baby to sleep on their tummy in bed though, I prefer to suffer the sleepless nights than take any risks - but it's personal choice.

'tummy time' when playing is meant to encourage them to lift their heads and strengthen their necks, but I don't remember doing it til matthew was a few months old.

Here's the lowdown on SIDS

http://www.fsid.org.uk/front-play-campaign.html

Claire x

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]

#12 ·
PS
very jealous you're already getting 6 hours at night!!  :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.