Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had this done as there are no real genetic issues in my family that I'm worried about.

The doctors at ARGC say that it's expensive and probably not worth doing.

Would anyone recommend that I should do it anyway, just to rule out any issues there? 

DH has had karyotyping done and has no issues and as far as I know, he's the important one in that respect.

Any help/advice would be appreciated - thanks ladies!

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
karotyping problems are rare. They are most likely to be checked out where a couple has had several miscarriages because about 5% of couples who suffer from RPL have a karyotyping problem - its less obvious whether its worth checking if you have never been pregnant because its possibly more likely that there is something else preventing pregnancy (e.g., in your case, thyroid issues) than it being a karyotyping problem.  karyotyping is fairly expensive to check - although if your DH has already done his, at least you only have to pay for 1 set.    Its difficult to say whether its worth doing for you or not... its such a tiny likelihood of finding a problem but, then if you did keep trying and then eventually test and find out you have something that made having a healthy baby very unlikely from the beginning, you might be wishing you'd tested earlier.    Probably the most common unsuspected karyotyping problem - still very rare though - is a balanced translocation - that could mean that you could still have a healthy baby, but you'd also have a high chance of having a miscarriage, a severely effected baby or a baby who was just a silent carrier of the same balanced translocation - and the main treatment would be to have PGD - so that you would only put back embryos that don't carry the translocation.  I guess you are not likely to have a karyotyping issue, but its up to you whether you want to rule it out?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!  You really are the fount of all knowledge!

I wonder whether, for the sake of £600 or so, it might be worth checking it just to rule it out as it would be worse to spend thousands on treatment that might never work.

Thank you so much for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts