Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if its possible to keep the weight off during tx..(IVF or other)  i have gained over 2 stone so far....  im now on my 4th cycle and am worried that i may put more weight on during this tx... has anyone any tips? 

Im going to try to keep to a healthy low fat diet during tx but will the drugs still make me gain weight if im 'one of those unlucky' people that gain weight from the treatement?

thanks

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I think I gain a stone per cycle, I hadn't lost last cycle and then just done this and can really feel it
L x

·
Registered
912 Posts
I gained 10lb on my first cycle and had 3 months inbetween IVF cycle and first FET (which I'm doing just now) and I haven't gained any more weight (or lost the weight I gained) on this cycle but I am exercising alot more than I did the first time around, nothing major just walking and bought myself a wii fit  :)  I have to be honest I'm not eating low fat but a balanced diet and making sure I am eating 3 meals a day because I am terrible for not eat breakfast.  I did ask my consultant the first time around and she said to me it was very hard to keep the weight off as when you are DRing you are obviously going into a state of menopause which slows your metabolism down big time. 

Sarah xx

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hate this too. I've gained on average half a stone per tx and not been able to lose it longterm. Before this tx I started going to the gym but I've taken a month off for tx. If this tx doesn't work I'm determined to get it off for good.
As if we haven't enough to deal with? The whole if journey has completely eroded my confidence and feeling bad about my weight as well is the last thing I need. I really sympathise with you.
To answer your question though I think it is possible but difficult. I find the meds make me want to eat sweet stuff ( which I would never fancy normally) the thought of dieting seems impossible. I get so tired during tx and then on the 2ww I feel sick and live on toast. Physically it would be possible to be strict and not gain but emotionally it would be pretty tough.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
HI im in the same position, ive gained over 3 stones with the meds and its im possible to get back off, im so worried im going to need a tummy tuck etc at this rate esp if i add a pregnancy to my current weight, im on a wee break at the moment so i hope to loose some before next cycle

dqxx

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Phew!  I thought it was just me!!

I did resort to colonic irrigation & an anti candida diet when I was so full of thrush & wind (sorry, tmi!!) after one lot of meds & another failed icsi.

I gave up ALL sugar & wheat (this is extremely hard to do!), so I lived on risotto, oat cakes,carrots, leeks, tomatoes, peppers, apples & pears & lost 10lbs in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!

I saw the GP who thought that although this was sudden weight loss, it was probably still healthy as long as I didn't over do it.

I carried on without wheat & sugar for about 3 months and felt soooo much better!  I needed far lest sleep & the whites of my eyes were really white!!

Then we went on holiday to the Maldives & I stuffed my face & now I'm back at square 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had another icsi - this time with donor eggs in Athens - now weigh 11.5 stone - OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to just do more walking & if I get a BFP I will cut out sugar - but not all wheat & hope it works!

I've also bought a steamer & intend to have lots of steamed chicken/fish & veg (boring but healthy!)

Good luck to all you fatties out there - it's not our fault, it's the bloody drugs!! ;D ;)

Jess xxx

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Wow Jess - that was amazingly disciplined of you. No wonder you felt so healthy afterwards

Emma xx

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi,

I gained over a stone on my ICSI cycle.  I'm hopefully starting another ICSI cycle in a month or so so want to try and get rid of some of it before (not going too good so far!!) It ain't easy!!.

Suzee xx

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi
I don't have a weighing scales at home, I normally use the one at the gym but haven't been down there for a while.    I've put on a lot of weight cos I'm not fitting comfortably into my jeans anymore, I test this weekend and intend on changing my eating habit back to only 2 meals a day and cutting out all the sweets, whatever the test says, god I've never eaten so many sweets, it must be a side effect of the drugs.
Good luck to you all losing that unwanted weight, its an uphill struggle  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^
G x x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts