Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls

This is a bit late, but i guess better late than never!!

I had a fairly good birthing experience, with just a slight blip where i got a bit worried about health of bubs during labour, but all ends well!!

After getting impatient at going over due date, decided to opt for 'sweep' on 15th August (4 days overdue). I had tried curries, bumpy car rides and a bit of  ^hump^ , but nothing had worked!! After the sweep, went home to lie in garden.  Starting feeling slightly achey and crampy and wondered if this meant anything.  Went to bed that night and felt stronger period type pain's during the night.  They were very few and far between so didn't really think had actually gone into labour. 

When i woke in the morning of 16th August, i was feeling the cramps every 10 minutes or so.  I sent hubby off to work, saying that 'things might be happening' but that i thought would be quite a while longer.... I spoke to my mum who said she thought i was in labour but would probably be quite a while, so arranged for her to come round for a nice leisurely lunch etc!! I rang hubby at about 10.00am to say in labour but not to come home as would be a while. I started calmly getting myself ready, showered etc.. when the contractions stepped up a notch!! they had gone from 10 minutes to 8 minutes and quite painful very quickly.  I rang hubby again at 10.15am and said to ignore previous conversation and to 'get home now'!! By the time he got home were 5 minutes apart.

I used Tens machine and was pretty much on the max by time arrived at hospital at midday. Was examined by midwife and told was 2cm dilated, she said wouldn't examine again until about 5pm??  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ told us to go for walk etc...  Tried a walk but pain got too bad, so back to the room and asked for Gas & Air!!  I loved the gas & air in the early part, and felt a really lovely drunk, even kept trying to chat hubby up and dancing in the room!!  (midwife not present at this point!!), also could not stop giggling and was slurring all my words!!

At about 4 ish (can't really remember as a bit of a blur now!!), pain got too bad and i asked for more pain relief....  didn't know how well i was doing so opted for Epidural as i thought could be hours.  Anethitist was called etc... and epidural was arranged.  HOwever, when examined i was really quite far on, and i reckon i would have just opted for pethidine or tried to cope without if i had known how well i was doing....  The anethitist took 5 unsuccessful attempts to put epidural in my spine, and when eventually in, it didn't work on one side at all, and i not convinced properly worked on other side either as had to still majorly rely on gas & air, which i don't think is usual when having an epidural!! 

At some point midwife broke my waters, as they were 'bulging' (her words!!), as they were bulging out so much, the waters shot feet and covered her!!  ;D ;D  The waters had meconium in them, so bubs had to be continuously monitored as might indicate distress (but common for overdue babies to poo inside) (also had to be monitored because of epidural..)...

Until now, all was fairly o.k and i was coping with pain etc.... Now baby's heartbeat being monitored things started to get a bit stressful.. HB kept dropping really low and instead of midwife trying to reassure us, she kept telling Martin (DH) to press emergancy button!! After her telling him to do this a few times and either doc or senior midwife rushing in, i went into semi state of shock with all the worry.  We then went from having standard midwife led birth in small room to being txfd to large delivery room as birth would now have to have paedeatrician and others present.  I don't think my midwife was very confident or experienced and she did nothing to reassure us.  We kept having to second guess what she was thinking, which meant that i had to continuously ask if everything o.k....
She really topped things off in the anxiety stakes by declaring to me 'right, this baby is now better out than in,' and so to get pushing!!  I mean i was now pushing so hard cos i thought that bubs in danger. In a way good that epidural not working as i had no probs in pushing and managed to push bubs out in 11 minutes!!  Paediatrician did a double take when walked into room as couldn't believe how quick bubs was coming out, i then had the whole team cheering me on, which really did help!!

At 19.35, on 16 August 2005, a very healthy, beautiful baby girl, Holly Grace arrived in this world, weighing 7lb 13 oz!!  The experience of Holly being delivered was so overwhelming and wonderful.  DH cut the cord (getting covered in blood- TIP take change of clothes for hubby!! we didn't and he also got covered in Holly's poo!!) and i found out sex of Holly.  Everyone said we were having a boy, so much so, we started to believe ourselves, until they gave Holly to me to find out she was a girl!!  I yelled out 'ITS A GIRL!!??' in complete shock!!  After they had checked Holly out (had to cos of the poo in the waters), she was handed back for lots of cuddles with mummy and daddy!! Daddy continuously grinning from ear to ear!! 

I did tear a bit, and did have to have some stitches, which were done by midwife who was still training in stitching!! Ouch!!  She told me to relax, which is very hard when she was being supervised in how to do the stitches and where etc!!

All in all, a good birth and Holly was very healthy.  I don't really remember the pain so much, just the feeling of anxiousness and worry for Holly's health, but all ended well!!

Love
Kel
xxx

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Well done Kelly!

A bit of a scary story  ^scared^  ;D but what a great result!

Holly is gorgeous!

Siobhan x

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Fantastic birth story Kel,

^roflmao^ at your story of gas and air...it's great isn't it! I didn't get as far as dancing or trying to chat DH up though  ::)  ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^

Holly is beautiful, glad she arrived safely

Love Helen x

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Aww - lovely to read your birth story especially the bit when you called out "Its a girl"!!

I have to say I was convinced you were having a boy too!!

Well done Kel!! What a joy to read your story. I remember your test day as if it was yesterday  :)

Nicky xx

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hiya Kelly

Lovely to read your story - even if a little scary - esp m/w!

Holly Grace is beautiful - well done Kelly

Clare
xx ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Kel,

^scared^ bit scary but so glad every turned out ok in the end, sorry your mw wasn't up to much, not what you need when it is your 1st baby.  Congrats on the 11 min push, v. proud of you

Love Mish and Caitlin xx

p.s. Can't beleive that a month has passed already

·
Registered
680 Posts
well done kel!
your midwife souded v scary! holly is just perfect! well done, love anni and jay xx

ps i got the boy bit wrong too! it shows the way you carry is irrelevant, as you and i v similar, a xx

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Kelly - Good story!!  Did you have Holly in Derriford?  I forget  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ ^idiot^  Did make me chuckle the bit about breaking your waters!!  ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ he he

Congrats again!!

xxx

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Great story, but scary too.  I really  ^roflmao^ at your waters going all over midwife!!!

COngratulations

Niki x

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
great story  ^roflmao^ at your waters and gas and air it is great stuff ain't it
Holly Grace is beautiful - well done and congratulations

love bw xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.