Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here goes! A bit of a long story! A bit traumatic so be warned!

Wednesday 14th September started like a normal day, went shopping to ASDA to stock up again (with the baby being late we’d begun to run out of stuff unless I wouldn’t of gone), picked DH up from work, went for a short walk to buy chocolate, posted on here at 8pm and watched Supernanny and Lost, without any symptoms of what was to come!!!

Went to bed at 11, only to have a pain at 11.24, with one following 10 mins later.  I told DH  but said for him to return to sleep, as it was either a false alarm OR he would be needing his sleep.  I had a bath about 12.30am which didn’t stop the pains so then defo knew this was “it”.  By 1.30am my pains were every 5-6 mins, so I woke DH and we rang the hospital who advised to stay at home for as long as possible but to ring again if we were going to go in.

We continued to time contractions, some were 3 mins, some 4 and some 5-6, so at 3.15am I rang the Delivery Suite again and they said to hang on for as long as we could or that we could come in, I said we’d be in within the hour.  DH rang my dad (DH can’t drive so both sets of parents were roped in for “taking to hospital duties“) telling them not to worry but that we needed to go to hospital as the time had come!  Not wanting them to speed DH told them to take their time and go slowly, thinking they would be with us within 10mins (they only live 5mins away) but taking DH at his word my folks arrived about ½ hour later!!!!  I’m just thankful that my mom was holding it together and wasn’t tearful like I thought she’d be! 

We arrived at hospital at 4am and went straight to Delivery Suite to find that I was 5cm dilated and doing really well.  Gave them my birth plan and they were really pleased that I wanted a water birth, as it’s not used much at all.  Was put on the monitor and was told it would be there for about 20mins.  As I was being monitored it showed that “fuzz” was quite sleepy and that he would need to wake up more for the water birth to be able to happen, so we continued to wait for fuzz to wake up!  A few minutes later fuzz’s heart beat started to dip with contractions but the midwife wasn’t worried as this happens when the baby is moving down the birth canal, but they started to keep a closer eye on us.  Contractions by this stage were being managed with gas and air (what brill stuff!!!).  Then fuzz’s heart beat started to dip when I wasn’t having contractions and the midwives (I had 2 by this point) started to worry that he/she was distressed so decided to break my waters (I wasn’t worried about this until I saw the hook that was going to be used!!) this was done, to find clear water, so fuzz wasn’t distressed but they didn’t know why his/her heartbeat kept dipping.

A dr was consulted and it was decided that I needed to be monitored a bit more closely so we were transferred to another room so this dr could monitor us on a different computer.  This was to be done for at least 20mins, to get an accurate reading, but this too showed that fuzz’s heartbeat was still dipping at times that it shouldn’t, so they decided to check the oxygen level that fuzz was receiving, this had to be done via taking blood from his head!!!  To say the procedure was not nice doesn’t quite do it justice!  Whilst having contractions, they went “down under” and tried to take the blood but were unable too but did tell us that “baby has a lovely head of brown hair!” Don’t mind me with me legs in the air!!!  By this point we had 3 midwives and a dr looking after us.

From this point on it all went down hill rapidly as fuzz’s heartbeat had dropped considerably whilst they were trying to take his blood, from 140 to around 75-80, so were told that they needed to get baby out NOW and that a C section was the only route.  DH was told that he’d be gowned up but then told that there wasn’t time for an epidural and that I’d need a GA as they hadn’t got 20mins for the epidural to take effect and that the baby needed to be out NOW.  I had to sign a consent form, while being told all that could go wrong, and then wheeled at top speed into theatre, leaving DH stood there, we didn’t get to say goodbye at all and I can just remember screaming “stuart, stuart” as I was being wheeled away from him, into theatre.

Once in theatre, I was being told what they were going to do, being shaved, catheterised and prepared for surgery, whilst crying and saying “make sure he’s ok, he’s going to be ok isn’t he?” all the while thinking, god I hope so, we can‘t lose him now.

The next bit DH has filled me in on!  DH sat in our room on Delivery Suite, anxiously waiting for news on me and the little one, and was finally brought Brody about 15mins after me being wheeled off.  Apparently Brody’s cord was wrapped round his neck twice and that was the reason for the low heartbeat, but that he’d come out screaming and then wee’d everywhere! (that’s my boy!!!) and that I was being sewn up and would be out of surgery soon.  So DH got to hold and be with our son for around 45 mins before he saw me coming out of theatre. 

On coming round all I could see was this dr in his theatre greens and I remember thinking “who the hell is he!” not thinking that I’d just had a C section!  Then I spotted DH enter the room next to this dr holding our baby, and found out he was a boy when a member of staff asked DH “what’s his name” and DH replied “Brody” but I was so out of it, when DH placed him next to me on the bed I apparently looked straight through him and I still can’t remember this moment, which makes me quite sad at times, to think that I can’t remember the first time I met our son.  I then went into shock of a kind and couldn’t stop shaking, because of the pain and the anaesthetic I think and it took some time for this to subside, frightening the hell out of DH I think.  I eventual managed to return to normal and got to meet our little fella properly, I can remember asking DH over and over “is he perfect, is he ok?” knowing that he had been distressed and in trouble before coming into the world.

But all is well that ends well and Brody is just the most beautiful, gorgeous and placid baby, I really can’t believe that DH and I made him, he’s just perfect and we can’t stop looking at him, we are so over the moon and I would go through what we went through a million times over for our son.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Keri

I have just read your story and can't believe all you went through.  I was in tears, glad it all worked out for you, and hope you all settle into family life well

Niki x

·
Registered
202 Posts
Keri, what a story!! I'm in tears.  I'm so glad everything worked out so well in the end!!  (I was a bit in shock the first moment I met Vivian too - I think maybe it just goes with the territory!!)

Congratulations, and welcome to Brody!!

Lots of hugs,
Julia & Vivian

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Wow hunny you sure went through the mill  ^hugme^ im glad it was all ok in the end

love the name brody  ;)

Love Martine

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Wow Keri you really had a tough time.  :eek:  I am so glad that everything turned out ok.  Congratulations to you and Stuart on the safe arrival of your son, and welcome to little Brody, a very cherished little boy.  :)

I hope you are both well and sending you and Brody lots of bubbles.  ;)

Well done and best wishes.

Nic xxxx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keri -

I was not expecting that - a proper tearjerker - especially you calling after your DH as they wheeled you away! It just goes to show you really don't know how it's all going to end up.

I am so happy for you that everything worked out in the end and you have a beautiful and cherished son.

Love
Catxx

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dear Keri

Congratulations on the safe arrival of Brody. What a traumatic time you and DH have been through! Truly the most moving birth story I have read.... well done you 3!!!

Kate xxx

·
Registered
158 Posts
okay so reading this at work was not the smartest move! didn't realise it would be a tearjerker.

so glad everything turned out okay.

congratulations.

Val x

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh my God, I'm sobbing, it all startedout so normally. The bit where they whisked you off must have been terryfying. I am so so pleased you all came through it. Well done all of you. And welcome to the world little Brody.

Love Heidi x

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Keri,

Oh wow, what a tear~jerker! 
Congratulations on your much wanted baby boy, what an entrance!

Marie xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.