Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly and very importantly Pete and I would like to say Thank you to you all for all the good wishes, love and support you've shown us and our beautiful boys. Especially Carol and Dee who have both been absolute stars.

This is quite a long story - sorry - as it lasted about 10 days in all!!!

I went into hospital on the 12th March after a slow trickle of water - I thought it may have just been bladder weakness but I couldn't stop it - and it turned out my waters had broken around twin 1. They put me straight onto antibiotics to stop infections and kept me in over the weekend expecting labour to start any moment - but nothing happened.

We were all set to go home on the Monday but then a scan showed a problem with the blood flow through the placenta to twin 1 so they decided I had to stay. A second scan showed the blood flow had improved and then on Friday a third scan showed all was ok. Twin 1 had no water but his blood flow was fine, twin 2 was as happy as larry and still nice and cosy in his fluid.

The consultant was undecided about which way to go as I was only 33 weeks at this stage and it was a big debate whether to deliver me early or try to let them cook for a bit longer.

A fourth scan on Monday showed that twin 1 hadn't really grown after a week in hospital and it was decided to deliver me on Tuesday 22nd March - one day short of 34 weeks - by caesarean section, as they didn't want to put twin 1 through the trauma of labour.

Tuesday morning I was absolutely bricking it!!! I wasn't worried about the section - just about how my babies would be and whether or not they would be well.

The section started at around 10am. I had a spinal epidural which was fine, no problems and Pete was with me throughout. There were about 16 people in the room as we had double of everyone with it being twins. The midwives were absolutely great and really reassuring. It felt very wierd - no pain at all but I could feel my body getting pulled and pushed all over. At 10:15am twin 1 - the one who caused all the bother - was born. He came out and cried almost immediatly , much to our relief. We named him Matthew Stephen and he weighed 4lb. One minute later at 10:16am his brother joined us and he came out with a huge yell. We named him James Thomas and he weighed 4lb 13oz. He was most put out at leaving his cosy home.

Both boys were thoroughly checked and we got to have a quick look and hello before they were whisked off to SCBU. I was then sewn back together with the doctors commenting on how flat my stomach now was. When I finally got up I was most disappointed to see they'd lied, I still look 7 months pregnant.

Pete got to see the boys that afternoon in SCBU and I managed to get wheeled up that evening. They were both in incubators. Matthew on a continuous milk feed and James on an Glucose drip and some milk. James also needed a bit of oxygen as he had some fluid on his lungs.

One week on and both boys are doing brilliantly. They are both in cots and onto 4 hourly tube feeds. The next step is for them to demand feed and to take to the breast. So far they have looked at it but not much else. I am expressing like mad, still a bit sore but otherwise feel great.

Pete and I still can't believe we are parents after all this time - we have to keep pinching ourselves.

Sorry this is such a waffle. There were many times when I thought we would never expereince this but dreams can and do come true. My advice would definitely be keep trying.

Once again many thanks to you all. We will keep you informed and let you know when we get our boys home. At the moment it's a mad dash to the hospital every 4 hours and madly expressing inbetween visits!!

Lots and lots of love

Kerry, Pete, Matthew & James

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Fantastic news Kerry !!!!

It doesn't seem that long ago you were posting on the Argc thread and now your beautiful babies are finally here on your 7th attempt.You are an inspiration to me and that is one of the reason we have decided to give tx another shot.I wish you the best of luck bringing those precious boys home.Sadly as for your tummy mine still looks 7 months pregnant and darling Daniel is 17 now

Oh well still dieting

Love Georgia
xxx

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thanks for posting your story, Kerry.
So glad it all worked out ok but it must have been an anxious week or so waiting to see what would happen.  So pleased the boys are doing well and bet you can't wait to get them home.
take care
xxx Morgan

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks for posting your birth story, Kerry. You sound as if you've been very strong through it all and it's great to hear that Matthew and James are doing so well. And they share a birthday with my two!

Jules

·
Registered
133 Posts
well done kerry and dh. the little piccie is fab. they look alot bigger than 4 pounds!!  ;D

many congratulations

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Aw

well done - lovely story alls well ends well

Love Mini xx

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Kerry & Pete
Congratulations on the birth of those lovely boys  ^congrats^ ^itsaboy^ ^itsaboy^ - I can't believe they weighed 4lb odd - they look soo chubby-cheeked in the picture (more like 8lb-ers!)! It's great to hear how everything has gone well too, after delivering early etc., (certainly makes me feel better!)
Love and hugs to all of you
Jane
XX

PS - lovely names too! ^Cuddle^

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hi Kerry

Wonderful to here how Matthew and Thomas made their entrance into the world!  Bet your stomach's flatter now!!!  ;D and the boys look fantastic in your avatar photo!  Hope they are home soon with you and Pete, mummy and daddy!

Have fun getting to know your boys (and your breastpump!) and good luck, you deserve it!

Love Sue
xxx

PS - As Sophie said, remember Oxford 2003, how different is life now!  Wonderful xx

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks girls - I don't know how I would have continued with treatment without the support and inspiration of people on this site.

Georgia I really hope this next tx is the one for you - I shall be following your progress and willing you on.

Janis - I hope your pregnancy continues to bloom. If those bubs of yours do decide to visit early don't you worry though. The ARGC produce them strong if my boys are anything to go by.

Carol - you're so right about all the rushing around. I'm sitting here expressing like mad just to fit everything in - what a lovely picture for you all!!!!! Hope to see you soon.

Everyone else thank you so much for your support and good wishes to our boys. I hope your pregnancies/babies/treatment go well. I will be logging on when I can to see how you are all doing and to keep you informed about my boys.

loads of love
Kerry

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Kerry - congratulations on the safe arrival of Matthew and Thomas.

Hope it's not too long before they are back home with you and you can enjoy your time at home rather than driving back and forth to the hospital.

Funny that we had our twins on the same day... as SueL says - your boys have ready made girlfriends now! ;D ;)

Congratulations once again.

Nicxxx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Kerry and Pete,

A huge congratulations on the birth of your boys.  You must have been so scared, but thank goodness everything turned out great.  You must be estatic (and a bit exhausted) to be parents.

Congrats!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.