Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone give me any advice on the pro's and con's of applying to a LA or a VA? 

We've had initial meetings with both and are leaning more towards the VA but I keep reading things that put me off, e.g. the VA only gets the 'harder to place children' and the wait will be longer - although the SW we spoke to did not give us that information, in fact, the opposite. 

I get the impression the process may be quicker with a VA as they can do the prep course and home study flexibly rather than having to finish the prep and then start the home study, but then I worry what if we have to wait ages to be matched because they don't have their own children to place?

I think overall I felt more comfortable talking to the VA SW so maybe we should go with our gut instinct?

Help please!  I don't know what to do but want to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for any advice.

Diz  :-\

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did ask SW about this, they said that VA approval drops you in at the same stage as LA approval, however that did seem a little dependent on using their favoured VA, so perhaps you could ask LA if they work with a particular VA.

I think going the VA route also means you can skip the 3 month wait during matching before you are allowed to match nationwide, but you should confirm that yourself with your SW.

Chris

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Diz,
DH and I seriously considered going with a VA over a LA although we went with a LA in the end. For us we say the benefits of the VA being, probably a quicker route to approval panel and quite possibly better post adoption support, the main negative being an anticipated longer wait post approval for a match as they were saying it could be more than a year as we wanted to adopt 2 under school age.

There are notable exceptions on this board, but it does seem to me (and it's my opinion only) that often the overall length of process is often quite similar (18-24months) from beginning to end, often someone may be seeming to get to approval panel quickly only to wait longer for a match and someone else seems to take an age to get to approval (some LA's and SW's are jsut quicker than others) to get a quick match.

My best advice is to carefully consider a range of LA's and VA's and go with your gut feeling, the process takes longer than I'm sure most of us would like, but it gives you loads of time to think able all the implications of parenting adopted children and those of us how have got our children (I think) would agree that it's totally worth it!!!

All the best
Viva
X

1 - 3 of 3 Posts