Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that after 4 failed iui's that my ovaries are reacting like i have pcos, several small follicles all at once. The consultant wants me to have a laparoscopy to cut pie shapes in my ovaries to fix the pcos and to give me a better response when we move on to ivf.
Has anyone else been told this?
I am worried i may have the laparoscopy and may not produce any eggs in future because of the cutting. I know the consultants know what they're doing but i'm still worried.
Has anyone got any advice? It would be most welcome.
Luv Sicknote

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya

I have pcos and also endometriosis

The treatment that ur going to be having sounds a bit like something i had 2 years ago

ovarian drilling

If it is if u want to send me a message i will happily answer any questions u may have

If it helps any......at present my ovary (i only have one) shows NO signs of pcos!!

Hope this helps

Emilyxx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Sicknote,

I too had pcos, i went in for a lap to have ovarian drilling, whilst under they found i had blocked tubes so we're now embarking on ivf.

In the last six month i have also been seeing an acupuncturist and have totally changed my diet, ie cutting out dairy products, only eating organic. Have just had another blood test for ivf and they have found all of my hormone levels which go with pcos are back to normal. I still have a few follicles on ovaries relative to pcos but am now not considered a polycystic sufferer! They thought this was amazing and have put this down to acupuncture and diet! 

Hope that the ovarian drilling works for you, it has on many of my friends.

Good luck in your tx!

Lots of love

Emmak ^reiki^

G

·
Hi Sicknote

I had this procedure done about 5 1/2 years ago.  In years gone by they called it a wedge resection (cutting out the pie shapes) but they do have a posher name and slightly different technique now that I had done.

I had had one IVF which resulted in pregnancy but M/C on that one so had this op done then 2nd IVF - it worked and I now have 4 1/2 year old twins and a sponteaneous pregnancy which resulted in my almost 2 year old son so it must do something!!

My consultant did say that obviously they couldn't tell what had caused the miscarriage but the high presence of hormones due to PCOS could have been a factor - I'll never know for sure but I'm glad I had the sugery.

Good luck and I hope you get your dream very soon!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi There
I had this done in HJuly, it's called many things depending on the surgeon and there are various techniques in place to do this as well
* Ovarian Drilling, Ovarian Diathermy, Ovarian Electrocautery are all basically the same proceedure, where the same follicles are zapped with a same laser, this encourages the follies to sie off and hopefully restore normal ovarina function
*Ovarian Re-section, Ovarian Wedge Removal are the same, the basicallycut a wdge from the ovary in the hope of restpring function to the ovary.
Mine wasn't a success but there are ladies on FF who have had successful pregnancies after having this surgery.

I had the ovarina diathermy and I can'r say it was particualrly painful but it does carry an 80% risk of adhesions forming, but that can happen with any surgery but your gynae will explain everything to you if you decide to go for it.

Chick

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chick 66 Thanks for your post.
Will ask consultant about adhesions he didn't mention it think he wants me to have a diathermy with metaformin
Hmmmmm they don't always tell you everything do they.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am really lucky with my consultant he does go into great depth with reagrd to risks of surgery or the risks of certian drugs or treatments etc etc.
Ask as many questions as you need to and do ask if you can call the consultants office or secreatry if you have any further questions.
We do this all the time with our consultant and i am sure he get s really fed up with me
Good luck
Chick

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Chick66 for the advice think i'm going to do a bit more research into it before i see the consultant next week. If you get pregnant can your pcos clear up do you know??

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, my mum suffered with it and after she had me it got better although it didn't go away completely, it just imporved the symptoms slightly.
What I had last year prior to having surgery as I couldn't ttc was an implant which is used for endometriosis called Zoladex, it's no good if you are ttc though as it stops everything, but  I took it for 3 months prior to surgery and it gave me the best releif I have ever had, I had to take HRT with it and stop ttc but for 3 months of no pain or problems, it was well worth it.

Chick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts