Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im due to have a laparoscopyon 21st May, now my question is my fertile week is the week before, so do I carry on t/c that week or leave it?  The nurse at my pre op yesrday said to carry on as they would do a pregnancy test before my general but surely it wouldnt show if by a miracle I was 2-5 days pregnant.  Whats your thoughts please?
Also I do a lot of ladder work in my job using ladders I have to extend myself so it pulls a bit on the old stomach muscles, do you think I should book a week or 2 weeks off?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Tillie

The nurse said the same thing to me and I had the same thoughts as you before my laparoscopy. I couldn't bear the thought of not trying for a month. Although I think my partner was relieved to have a break from having to perform on demand!

My Chinese medicine practitioner, however, said I shouldn't try and conceive that month - as the general anaesthetic would not be good for a developing embryo (although not even an embryo at that stage - it would still be making its way down the fallopian tube I guess - but still vulnerable to effects of anaesthetic).

As to time off - definitely take a week off. I couldn't even use my ab muscles to sit myself up from lying down for two or three days. I think after a week I was able to gently stretch my abdomen but not sure about any real extension of muscles at that stage. Depends how much you stretch at work - also I am not sure about carrying ladders after a week either....

I also had mild endometriosis burnt off while they were in there - so that may have made my experience different. Good luck for your laparoscopy and I really hope you will get a different result to me! (Although there was some relief in having an explanation at last for our failure to conceive).

Best wishes

Sarah
40 (today!)
blocked tubes, hypothyroid, endometriosis
about to start first IVF this week

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Tillie

Just thought I'd send you a quick message- I had a laparoscopy a year ago. I took a week and a bit off work as I found moving around really hard for first 3 days- everything feels very delicate and 'heavy'. I too use ladders etc in my job and travel around so make sure you allow yourself enough time to recoover. The anaesthetic takes it out of you in its self!

As with ttc- we used it as a welcome break- I know this is really hard but you need to put yourself first for a month.

Good luck

Julie x

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies guys, and  ^birthday^ for the 27th Sarah.
Ok I will take a break for a month, well infact 3..arrrgggg as have to start taking Champix (giving up smoking) this week and they dont advise me to try and concieve whilst of that....that means I cant try until August  ^mercy^

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
just a quick one didnt want to read and go, (got bfn today), but you need at least a week off  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
Tillie - i had BMS before my lap and they done a pg test as they have too but if you would rather substain for a month just incase then its up to you.

I would book at least a week off work depending on how u recover - i took a week off work although i should have had 2 weeks off but i had to go back as i would have missed my student placement.

Good luck

Kate xx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oki doki, think I'll go for 2 weeks off then just incase.
Oh Avon Queen big ((hugs)) to you, Im so sorry

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
thanks tillie, im in a mood today, not cried, but not happy. in a horrible place mentally and ive got my AF pains and bleeding to contend with now as well. bye bye embryo  :'(

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Hi Tillie,

I'm guessing by now you may have had your lap (?) how are you? ^reiki^

I had mine 13 days ago and won't deny it's been a bit of an upheaval.  :-\I completely agree with the other posts about taking a week off. I work in an office and had 2 days off (the day of the op plus one more) and worked from home on the 3rd and quite frankly felt pants! (Although I've read of people who have gone shopping to Asda the next day so everyone is different.) I tended to get tired really easily in the days that followed and slept a lot.

If you want a no-holes barred run-down on what mine was like you can view my 3 posts by going to "Starting out" and then immunology and testing. Or, because I've just added an update I think it's on the front page.

As for testing for pregnancy, I had similar concerns because my period was due the day of the op and I even rang the day unit the week before to ask about the sensitivity of their pregnancy tests! However, their advice was to turn up on the day and tell the admitting doctor and anaesthetist and let them make a decision then, if there's any doubt they won't do it. (Unfortunately I had spotting the 2 days before and was bleeding by the time I went into hospital. They still tested my urine though!)

If you've not had the op good luck...and also good luck with Champix. I've heard a lot of people are successful with it.  :)

Katie4

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope your feeling ok now Katie4. No Ive not had it yet, 21st May so 2 weeks tomorrow.  Feeling a bit nervous about it for some reason, dont know why Ive had 7 g/a's in last 8 years so dont know why this is worrying me ^idiot^.  Ive booked  2 weeks off work as jobs pretty physical so Im looking forward to that.
Started Champix yesterday so I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Tillie,
i had a lap done several years ago now and was fine afterwards, i think everybody reacts differently for example i had no painkillers afterwards as i really did feel fine and did'nt need to stay home/in bed where as other ladies who had it done on the same day said they felt poorly and needed pain relief, so our bodies really do all react in different ways.
Goodluck and takecare.
michXXX.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thank god thats done.  Had it done Tuesday in the end, when I came round I couldnt stop shaking and could hardly breath.  The pain was awful, they gave 8 lots of morphine and paracetomol by drip.  It was the air in me that was causing the pain, I couldn't straighten up to walk, everytime I moved it hurt but now its fading luckily.  Unfortunately they found 3 lots of endometriosis, thats all I know as the nurse told me when I came round.  They said the consultant will see me in 6 weeks and tell me everything then.  I wish they wouldnt leave it so long. The pain now is just in my neck and shoulders mostly.  Ive tried mint but it didnt really help.  Had to go back to the Drs yesterday as there is an infection in one of the incisions (.they went in in 3 places)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Tilly

It's good to hear how you went. And I'm sorry to hear you've had pain (and an infection!). Take it easy for as long as you can - surgery and anaesthetic is tough on the body - so rest up as much as you can (even when back at work) and eat well. That gas pain is awful isn't it? And because it's like nothing I'd had before - I found it unsettllng.

Six weeks does seem like a long time to wait for a follow up appt! Hang in there. Maybe spend the time finding out about endometriosis (believe me there is heaps on the web!) At least once you see him, you will know what's happening in there and can take things from there. Information is power!

You know - I know several people who got pregnant after dye studies were done - maybe the dye clears out the tubes or something? (if your tubes are open and I do hope yours are. Mine weren't, sadly.) So - keep up your efforts in the meantime!

Good luck with it all. I'm sending BFP wishes your way.

Sarah
me:40  DP:52
blocked tubes and mild endometriosis
hypo-thyroid
First IVF cycle starts this weekend

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sarah.  It is a wierd pain, I wasnt overly worried as Ive had 7 operations under g/a since 2000 so am used to pain but blimey that knocked me for 6.  Its wierd how different people react differently.  I have been reading up and reading up, is it possable then that my tubes arn't open?  They said they blasted the endo away so would you take it that Im ok at the mo?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hello

I have just read your thread and it is very close to home because I am going for my second lap on 02 July - and terrified of what else they will find since the endo is def back since the last one and still no pg.

Tillie, i remember what it was like with the pain when I ha the last lap and I did not let myself really recover and that was  a mistake so this time I would def say give yourself time, and don't try to do too much too soon.

Sarah - you and I are the same age and have the same conditions - snap :'( - what stage endo do you have? I am getting so worried and feeling very low since my 40th. Felt even worse after I watched a prog on Channel 4 last night about people having their 13th child! I would be over the moon to be pg once!

Good luck to all - here's hoping dreams really do come true!
Nxx

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Tillie

Well if they told you they found endometriosis and burnt it out... you'd think they'd also say: '...and you had blocked tubes' if that was indeed the case. That's what they told me as I lay in recovery - to my utter shock and disbelief! So fingers crossed your tubes are all clear!

I had assumed that the endo (which I didn't know I had) was responsible for the blocked tubes - but neither of the gynos I saw afterwards thought so - they thought something like chlamydia (which I've never tested positive for and am totally surprised to think I might have had) was responsible. So I don't think there's necessarily an endo/blocked tubes connection - if that's what you are thinking. I reckon proceed assuming open tubes for the moment! They do say that there's a couple of months window after a lap when women are more likely to conceive (cos tubes been blasted out and endo removed). So Good luck!

Hi N
Yes! Snap! I have what they described as 'mild' endometriosis - they didn't give it a grade - but I am guessing 1 or 2. Sorry to hear you are going through a low patch. It's very tough going at times isn't it? Like you - I've never been pregnant. Cos of the blocked tubes I guess. I am feeling good at the moment - I had my first Lucrin injection today for my first IVF cycle (actually probably ICSI) - couldn't even feel it go in! No side effects (ha! ha! it's only been eight hours!). Take care if you're feeling blue. 40 ain't the end of the track... I know lots of people who've got pregnant at 40, naturally or with AC. Why couldn't you and I be one of those?

Sarah

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Hi Tillie,

I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time but so glad you've posted as I know how much this site and all the lovely members help me.

I had a post op urine infection which started about 5 days after the lap but antibiotics sorted it out. (I did feel like I was having a relapse at one point but my GP couldn't identify any bacteria and just said it was my bladder acting up after everything that had happened. I then developed a full body rash to the antibiotic!)

After everything that has happened DH and I wrote this cycle off completely and then ..I got a BFP! I promise I do know how lucky I am; I'm just keeping everything crossed that the antibiotic and allergic reaction haven't had a negative effect. 

Take your time over your recovery and keep in touch ^hugme^

Katie4

1 - 17 of 17 Posts